What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just so happens I have all that leaf. Got a good blend ratio? Sounds like one to give a try.
The standard Uppowoc Perfecto only requires two leaves to fill and one half leaf to bind and wrap. It's a five and a quarter inch, 48 gauge fecto. So, one criollo leaf, one corojo leaf, bound with the half moon cut from the inner portion of an H2k wrapper half leaf, then wrapped with the outer crescent cut from around that half moon. (Does that make sense?) I like both fillers seco, cause I like them mild.

Course, most guys here are rolling parejos, which, as I discovered just recently, require at least twice as much tobacco. Don't last much longer; they're just a snap to make, is all.

But perfectos are more fun.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

Ugly bunches in....

Had to play with the new corojo, smells delicious!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
So, it seems i am running into a little issue now that i am quick enough to bunch 10 sticks at once... it seems my press, a keg, is not heavy enough to press these into nice, tight "bodies". They came out rather loose and oblong. The obvious fix is an actual press, but i really don't want a dedicated object for this, nor do i have the room for it.

What do you guys press with? Should i just drop two kegs on there? @BrewinHooligan you still use weights of some sort?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, it seems i am running into a little issue now that i am quick enough to bunch 10 sticks at once... it seems my press, a keg, is not heavy enough to press these into nice, tight "bodies". They came out rather loose and oblong. The obvious fix is an actual press, but i really don't want a dedicated object for this, nor do i have the room for it.

What do you guys press with? Should i just drop two kegs on there? @BrewinHooligan you still use weights of some sort?

Organic Paper Material or Tissue Paper if you want to mold your head or foot... roll it up after you cut it to size... set it for three to five hours ... unroll and wrap right away... I sun bake mine afterwards but to each his own ~xox

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The standard Uppowoc Perfecto only requires two leaves to fill and one half leaf to bind and wrap. It's a five and a quarter inch, 48 gauge fecto. So, one criollo leaf, one corojo leaf, bound with the half moon cut from the inner portion of an H2k wrapper half leaf, then wrapped with the outer crescent cut from around that half moon. (Does that make sense?) I like both fillers seco, cause I like them mild.

Course, most guys here are rolling parejos, which, as I discovered just recently, require at least twice as much tobacco. Don't last much longer; they're just a snap to make, is all.

But perfectos are more fun.
hmmmmm... this looks more like a Figurado... maybe it's the pic angle. ~xox

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys using moulds:

When using newspaper or paper towels to mould my bunches I was getting the binder being squeezed unevenly into a crease or a pleat. Subsequent wrapping, ageing and smoking them it seemed that they were burning unevenly where the extra binder had bunched. What do you guys do about that with moulds?

I now squeeze it tight with the paper unbundle, pull binder tight and re wrap in paper.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Question for you guys using moulds:

When using newspaper or paper towels to mould my bunches I was getting the binder being squeezed unevenly into a crease or a pleat. Subsequent wrapping, ageing and smoking them it seemed that they were burning unevenly where the extra binder had bunched. What do you guys do about that with moulds?

I now squeeze it tight with the paper unbundle, pull binder tight and re wrap in paper.
If the bunching is too loose the paper wrapping won't be as effective... also if you don't cut your edge off your binder it will fray and give chance to extra creasing or unwanted seams. To paper roll your bunch should have a wrapper like finish to the binder leaf... then paper roll for a seamless press that hides prominent veins ... there is no perfect way... just whatever way meets your satisfaction... always go with the way of least resistance ... that's what my dad would say :p Not sure about paper towel pressing... never used that and can't imagine how effective that would be. I use a mold press too... but I'm finding I've come away from it more as time goes on. ;) ~xox

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Does it matter which leaves are corojo and which are criollo?
I like Corojo seco and viso and criollo ligero. I like to have some of each priming in most of my blends but two leaves seco with one leaf ligero has proven to work well for my tastes also. I haven't tried the corojo ligero yet myself so that could be equally as delicious. I haven't done too many variations as I usually have something else like Nica Habano along with my corojo and criollo. It's one of those things you have to play around with and find what suits your tastes best.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

When I get a really packed mold, I have to use a couple large c-clamps to press my mold. I'm going to be building some sort of press in the near future. I figure I can build a hydraulic press like the ones Willy has for around $100 and will document the build here when I get to it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When I get a really packed mold, I have to use a couple large c-clamps to press my mold. I'm going to be building some sort of press in the near future. I figure I can build a hydraulic press like the ones Willy has for around $100 and will document the build here when I get to it.
Or do this:

Like so:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What do you guys press with? Should i just drop two kegs on there?
I use this ebay find.