What's new

Pipe Noob Reporting In!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Well gentlemen, I've come into possession of a pipe courtesy of @crperkins and OE2015 (pictured below), and figured it was about time I start polluting this area of boards just as much as I harass the cigar guys.

I have been reading the stickied threads up top and I am currently composing a shopping list.

Tamper/Tool
Pipe Cleaners
Beginner Pipe (so I don't ruin this guy with rookie mistakes, and can begin my hoarding--er... rotation.)

&

Of course, some samples of tobacco! (Per your recommendations, of course)

A buddy gave me some Frog Morton's of some variety, but I'm not certain if that's a good simple beginner tobacco or something I should work up to before trying.

Any advice, comments, or wisdom you can share is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any idea of the woods/style used on the pipe above, I'd be grateful to learn as much about it as I can.

Cheers,

Spenny

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Well gentlemen, I've come into possession of a pipe courtesy of @crperkins and OE2015 (pictured below), and figured it was about time I start polluting this area of boards just as much as I harass the cigar guys.

I have been reading the stickied threads up top and I am currently composing a shopping list.

Tamper/Tool
Pipe Cleaners
Beginner Pipe (so I don't ruin this guy with rookie mistakes, and can begin my hoarding--er... rotation.)

&

Of course, some samples of tobacco! (Per your recommendations, of course)

A buddy gave me some Frog Morton's of some variety, but I'm not certain if that's a good simple beginner tobacco or something I should work up to before trying.

Any advice, comments, or wisdom you can share is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any idea of the woods/style used on the pipe above, I'd be grateful to learn as much about it as I can.

Cheers,

Spenny
I got this. Give me a day or two. Shoot me your addy.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's plenty to learn in piping. And watch out for lerkers...I got NUKED by someone with a big ass box of mason jars....

Pipe cleaners, plenty of cheap 3 in 1 czech pipe tampers, ALSO get a stock of pipe bits which go on the end of the stem to protect it from the bite of your teeth when you clench it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been dabbling in the pipery for a little while, and one thing I did to start my pipe collection was to pick up some reaming tools and start grabbing pipes durring my visits to the antique shops. They make a fun project to clean up, even if they turn out to be less than top notch smokers. I have yet to purchase a fancy new pipe, but when I do I know I'm going to have all the knowledge and skill to keep it clean!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Well thanks for the warm reception guys!

@Grrrrr609 - I truly appreciate your desire to wreak havoc on me and my mailbox, but I'm not seeking to mooch off of your reserves! I'm more just interested in seeing what everyone likes/recommends so I can pick up some sampler packs and try my hand at all this.

@The_Rev - Thanks for the info on where to get bulk pipe tools with cool little designs! Out of curiosity, what makes filters unnecessary? Or does it hamper the ability for the novice smoker to get a good draw? Would a stem protector or one one of those rubber pieces be a good idea once I'm actually using the nicer pipe (or the multiple I'm already certain I'll be hoarding soon enough)?

@Everyone Else - Don't be forking over my address you goons! I'm here to learn and gain experience, not further enrage my postman.

Cheers,
Spenny

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
When @Grrrrr609 wants to wreak havoc on your mailbox, you take your lumps. It's like a right of passage here. I definitely suggest starting wtih a cob as well, much easier to smoke from and if you screw it up, you aren't out much. Pipe cleaners are your friend. There is no such thing as enough or too many. Antique shops are definitely worth looking into to find nice estate pipes, ebay and etsy have a bunch too.

The_Rev

Chaplain of Saints and Sinners
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Well thanks for the warm reception guys!

@Grrrrr609 - I truly appreciate your desire to wreak havoc on me and my mailbox, but I'm not seeking to mooch off of your reserves! I'm more just interested in seeing what everyone likes/recommends so I can pick up some sampler packs and try my hand at all this.

@The_Rev - Thanks for the info on where to get bulk pipe tools with cool little designs! Out of curiosity, what makes filters unnecessary? Or does it hamper the ability for the novice smoker to get a good draw? Would a stem protector or one one of those rubber pieces be a good idea once I'm actually using the nicer pipe (or the multiple I'm already certain I'll be hoarding soon enough)?

@Everyone Else - Don't be forking over my address you goons! I'm here to learn and gain experience, not further enrage my postman.

Cheers,
Spenny
I put rubber bits on the pipes I use in the car since I often clench those much more so than when I'm just sitting on the porch.

For me, the filters don't add enough to the enjoyment of pipes to me to be worth it. I do occasionally use the Savinelli balsa filters as they seem to absorb moisture without robbing flavor.