What's new

Pipe Noob Reporting In!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a cob as a beginner just keep in mind that they smoke differently than most briars. The draw hole is much larger and you have to be extremely gentle or you will get a mouthful of ash.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
New piper here too. It's a lot more difficult than I imaged. I love the smell and flavors, but keeping it lit is a difficult task (or better yet, packing is a difficult task). By the middle of the bowl I seem to always lose the good flavor in exchange to just an ashy/hot flavor. Practice makes perfect, so I guess I need to go fire up another pipe.

With that said, have patience as you start your new hobby.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New piper here too. It's a lot more difficult than I imaged. I love the smell and flavors, but keeping it lit is a difficult task (or better yet, packing is a difficult task). By the middle of the bowl I seem to always lose the good flavor in exchange to just an ashy/hot flavor. Practice makes perfect, so I guess I need to go fire up another pipe.

With that said, have patience as you start your new hobby.
Smoke slower, tamp lightly, and don't sweat the relights.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Glad you decided to dabble Spenny, be warned though this slope is every bit as slippery as the cigar one. On the bright side though it's every bit as enjoyable and (once you are established and get your PAD / TAD in order so pretty much never in my case) a lot cheaper!

The_Rev

Chaplain of Saints and Sinners
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I've posted something similar before, but here's the thing: relax and enjoy pipe smoking. Don't stress about packing and lighting and relights and how long to rest the pipe or any of that. You're smoking ground up leaves in a hollowed out chunk of wood or corn cob. Find a favorite place to relax, put on music, grab a beverage and smoke the fucking thing worry-free. You'll figure it out. Indians in loincloths without YouTube figured it out in the 1600s. Just enjoy the process of a great hobby.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I put rubber bits on the pipes I use in the car since I often clench those much more so than when I'm just sitting on the porch.

For me, the filters don't add enough to the enjoyment of pipes to me to be worth it. I do occasionally use the Savinelli balsa filters as they seem to absorb moisture without robbing flavor.
No filters here, either.
They can help a guy learning by preventing some tongue bite if you're freight-training that thing too fast, but I've noticed muted flavors using the same tobacco in the same pipe with the filters versus without. Just smoke slow. Sip the pipe.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I've posted something similar before, but here's the thing: relax and enjoy pipe smoking. Don't stress about packing and lighting and relights and how long to rest the pipe or any of that. You're smoking ground up leaves in a hollowed out chunk of wood or corn cob. Find a favorite place to relax, put on music, grab a beverage and smoke the fucking thing worry-free. You'll figure it out. Indians in loincloths without YouTube figured it out in the 1600s. Just enjoy the process of a great hobby.
The gospel truth! Don't over complicate things. Just remember, have patience, you'll find your rhythm before you know it!

The_Rev

Chaplain of Saints and Sinners
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Thank you all very much for the continued reception and all the great advice!

@The Munt - I might be completely daft here, but what exactly is PAD / TAD?
It's something you'll soon suffer: Tobacco and Pipe Acquisition Disorders, the unstoppable urge to purchase more tobaccos and pipes despite needing more of neither. LOL