What's new

Plume or mold

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I believe if you read the entire 10+ page Habanos forum thread that even though they have identified the plume samples as either mold or some sort of bacteria they are not denying that some bacterial or mold growth can change the makeup of the tobacco making it more appealing to some palates. The standard definition of plume is the crystallization of oils that have migrated to the outside of the wrapper during a proper aging process. The forum has not found these crystals. The forum has found that some strains of bacteria form shiny, crystalline like structures that could possibly be identified as plume and the chemical changes made by the bacteria could be pleasant.

So, no "plume" has not been identified in cigars. Is there a biological process that occurs during aging that forms crystalline type structures on the wrapper of a cigar that may make the flavors in the tobacco more appealing to some palates. yes. Is it an slow, prolonged extension of the fermenting process, possibly?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe if you read the entire 10+ page Habanos forum thread that even though they have identified the plume samples as either mold or some sort of bacteria they are not denying that some bacterial or mold growth can change the makeup of the tobacco making it more appealing to some palates. The standard definition of plume is the crystallization of oils that have migrated to the outside of the wrapper during a proper aging process. The forum has not found these crystals. The forum has found that some strains of bacteria form shiny, crystalline like structures that could possibly be identified as plume and the chemical changes made by the bacteria could be pleasant.

So, no "plume" has not been identified in cigars. Is there a biological process that occurs during aging that forms crystalline type structures on the wrapper of a cigar that may make the flavors in the tobacco more appealing to some palates. yes. Is it an slow, prolonged extension of the fermenting process, possibly?
I do like this answer, that possibly some type of "mold" mistaken as plume may compliment the flavors of an aged cigar. Ill buy that sure.