Which platform: Mac or pc

• Macintosh (go Apple!!)

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • PC (boo!!!)

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Im curious to know what people are using. if its a mac, please post the details. if not, i wont be mad (maybe...) :razz:

im on a 15" powerbook g4 with DL superdirve and FW 800 (had to go with a refurb one after they lauched the macbook pro line, oh well, i saved about $900 :yes: )

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For years I was always a PC kind of guy, but most recently I was getting tired with all the virus's and spyware that was out there. So while looking into other OS I read how Mac's had basically no virus or spyware (maybe 1 or 3 now).

Around the first of the year my Hell PC started to act up. So i asked around and started to look into Macs. I spent countless hour researching them and playing with them at the Apple stores. I ended up buying an iBook G4. Then 2 weeks later the Intel Core Duo Macs came out. I was pissed.

It took some getting used to, but now I'm pretty enficent with it. I read some books browsed the message boards and asked people. I learned a lot. Each day I seem to learn something else.

The OS, in my opinion is cleaner and smoother. What took me a while to get used to was finding the right codex's for movie files, but just did a search and learned all I needed to know. I have windows office for Mac and can load documents between the Mac and Pc's with out any problem.

About 2 months ago my wife started to use my iBook cause she could take it outside with her. Then one morning it hit. My PC would not boot and in this house we both need computers do to our jobs. After one of the techs looked at the PC and diagnosed the problems, it was most cost effective to buy something new. After talking with her we decide to order a 15.4 MacBook Pro Intel COre Duo. We Love it!! Its fast, clean and smooth. Exactly what we needed. Also on the MacBook we bought Parallels Desktop for Mac and run a full version of Windows XP and windows based programs. They load fast and we do not notice and slow down at all. Its great for those programs that aren't Mac friendly.

We are now offically a Mac/Apple home. We still can do everything we need to.

Some of the other features that steered us towards the new MacBook was the user friendlyness of the iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie and other programs it comes with. Of course we have purchased iLife, is it really neccessary, probally not, but the wife got a deal on it from work. We also use the .Mac for document exchange and .Mac sync while at work or traveling. We have not used it for the web page or blog publishing yet.

The feature i love the most is Automator. You can do some much with it once you get used to it, from renaming hundreds of photos you took on your latest trip, setting up scripts to auto run, to creating all kinds of events.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Got a powerbook I got 3 years ago thats still goin strong (about to upgrade the hard drive, and dvd burner soon)

I also have a PC with Windows Media Center 2005, Vista, and Ubuntu installed.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was using a mac for a while but there is too much PC dependant software that I require for work that I had to switch back... the mac mini is still sitting in its box, I haven't tried selling it anywhere but here.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Mac user here; currently at home we use:

- iMac 20" 2GHz (PPC, not Intel), my primary computer.
- MacBookPro 1.83GHz Dual Core Intel, my wife's computer
- iBook 700MHz G3, my "sit outside, smoke-n-surf" computer

And literally 20+ older Macs scattered about the house...things like an original 1984 '512K Fat Mac', several Classics, a couple of Quadras, a couple of original PPCs (6100 and 7100), a few old Powerbooks (2 Duos and a 5300), and 3 different G4 towers.

My very first Mac was a IIsi that I got in 1991/92 (or thereabouts) while in college. And I've never owned a PC myself...although my wife did have one when we were dating.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I was using a mac for a while but there is too much PC dependant software that I require for work that I had to switch back... the mac mini is still sitting in its box, I haven't tried selling it anywhere but here.
If you get one of those spiffy new intel macs you can dual boot with windows. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't spent $600 on a PC, but I guess its still good for gaming.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Oh great, another Apple fanboy! :rofl:

Twelve percent of our traffic is made on a Mac.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'd really like to be an Apple fan, really. Great commercials, fast, stable platform, less problems with viruses, etc....

I'm just too damn lazy to learn anything else right now, that is not absolutely necessary. So dumbasses, like myself, are perpetuating the Microsoft juggernaut. Don't hate me because I'm stupid.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you get one of those spiffy new intel macs you can dual boot with windows. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't spent $600 on a PC, but I guess its still good for gaming.
Or.... I can put OSX on my PC :yes:

I like PC's the most because I always custom build mine to do exactly what I want... I spend a little more but I get alot more power out of it and can pick my components exactly how I want rather than having OEM "crap" which usually lacks features.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont like how the message of "you aren't cool if you aren't using a mac" is being conveyed through mac's advertizing compain and even the design of the poll on this forum (PC: boo! for example). What is mac doing? They are marketing their product to two types of people A, the Gen Y people that don't want to use what his or her parents are using, and B- People who have never used a computer before. Let me say that there is nothing uncool about using a PC and I dont need some poorly shaven greaseball on a comercial trying to convince me that I am the PC guy and farve behind the curve. Let's face it, what is mac currently doing? They are making there computers more like a PC with intel processors and the promise of being able to run PC software. I am sure that they are great computers ( my brother has the top of the line powerbook or whatever it is called), but I will never consider it a status symbol nor should it ever be. I am tired of Mac sticking "I" in front of everything. From ibook, to ipod, to ichat, to I-whatever. I am not going to lie, depending how computers change in the future, I might buy a mac if I have to, but I will never be seen giving myself a long pat on the back for it and need retarded comercials to reinforce my purchase. That's just my two cents! No offense need be taken to my comments, they are meant to be mearly sarcastic. I just wanted to say that I am 23 years old and in the thick of their target audience and I am insulted by the way they talk to me! lol

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with everything you said UFGators. I think mac makes a decent product but it is still lacking, which is why they have such a small market share. True they have less issue with certain products and drivers, but there is also alot less available for that platform.

Everyone also has to admit that if it werent for iPod and iTunes apple would not be around...

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Closed hardware platform = NO!

Although it looks that might soon be a thing of the past...

Anyway, Mac OS is great but PC is so much cheaper and I can configure Windows 2000 so well I don't ever have to worry about it... that is unless my roommate or a family member decides they know how to use a computer...