• PC (boo!!!)

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
PC - Microsoft junkie - Resistence is useless, you will be assimilated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pc here. I have several computers and they are all running Win2K pro. I refuse to buy XP and it's security holes. All my machines are secured enough so that I don't worry about spyware and haven't caught a virus in over 3 years even without Norton or Mcafee.

I have installed vmWare and have been trying out several flavors of Linux on the virtual machines. Ubuntu is the Favorite so far, but Fedora Core 3 is a close second. When the time comes to upgrade my OS, I will not be going the Vista route, and would prefer to get rid of Microsoft all together, but at least one machine will have 2000 on it just to play games like Star Craft.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
PC both at work and at home. Just bought 2 new Dell notebooks with XP pro on them. No virus problems (use Firefox) and run McAffee once a week. Guess it is just 'cause I'm used to it and can fly around programs without really thinking...... (much at all)........

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
As a lifelong Mac user, I just don't understand why so many Mac users--and for that matter Apple themselves--find the need to make anti-PC comments. I use Macs because that's what my profession demands; yes I like them, but I'm sure that a big part of that is because they're what I've always used. But just because I like using Macs doesn't give me the right to poo-poo someone else's choice of computing platform.

The "Holier Than Thou" attitude is stupid. :scratchhe

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I had a Mac and it was the biggest POS I ever owned. Anyone that tells you Macs don't crash is a liar. I returned it twice and each time it came back worse than before, they finally refunded my money (after 8 months). This was the first computor I ever bought on advice from friends who still use and love their Macs but I will never again buy one and I'm not sure I'd take a free one either.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My room mate has a Mac, and he is a lifelong convert, swears he will never buy a pc. And yet, sometimes he has to use my computer because some websites he uses for banking and such will not work with safari.
I have intoduced him to Firefox, which works with most of them, but there is still one website he needs to access for his job which only works on IE.

Non Sequiter: My favorite quote from a Mac user...

Mac user:"Name one thing your PC can do that my Mac cant."
Pc user :"Right click."

:)

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Still thats not technically right clicking, it just makes things much more complicated than they need to be. When I was using my mac I had a 2 button PC mouse on it so I didn't need to use the keyboard as much.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Mac users that use 1-button mice confuse me. :scratchhe

I mean come on, contextual menus were introduced in Mac OS 8 way back in 1997, and off-the-shelf multi-button mice have worked ever since. There is NO excuse for sticking with the stupid 1-button mouse...and no, just saying, "that's what my Mac came with" isn't a valid excuse because multi-button USB mice cost next to nothing.

Sheep: throwing away stock mice since 1997 :grin:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Mac users that use 1-button mice confuse me. :scratchhe

I mean come on, contextual menus were introduced in Mac OS 8 way back in 1997, and off-the-shelf multi-button mice have worked ever since. There is NO excuse for sticking with the stupid 1-button mouse...and no, just saying, "that's what my Mac came with" isn't a valid excuse because multi-button USB mice cost next to nothing.

Sheep: throwing away stock mice since 1997 :grin:
i completely agree about the 1-button mouse, having to hold down control isnt exactly difficult, but its just a pain in the ass type of annoyance. although i must say that it is much less of an issue (not that it really is one to begin with) on my laptop, not sure why, maybe its because the trackpad interacts with your hands differently than a mouse, i dunno, but for some reason it irratates me just enough to notice it while using the iMac downstairs, and it doesnt bother me at all while on my powerbook. :scratchhe

i have also grown to despise all mice that dont have a scroll wheel. there is really no need for them except to strangle people who use them.

one really cool feature i love about my powerbook is the scrolling trackpad. drag 1 finger to move the mouse, drag 2 to emulate a scroll wheel (and you dont even have to move both, you just have to have 2 fingers on the trackpad and itll work)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
and just to throw it out there, its not that i have anything against pc users personally, or even pc's for that matter. i have 2 compaqs in the basement, one that thet powersupply died on (twice, actually) and another that i boought as a replacement before i was able to find a 3rd powersupply rather cheap.

Both have xp, both have office (one also has frontpage), the newer one has a lightscribe dvd burner i installed, as well as a 160 gb 2nd HD that i put into the old one and then moved into the new one. ethernet cards in both, etc, etc. the newer one is still a decent everyday use computer, not yet a relic. (old one is pretty sad, but im too lazy to move all my files over) :computer:

my point is, even before i had to look around ebay for a replacement for the 1st one, i wanted a mac. when it came time to buy the 2nd one, i wanted a mac. after i bought the 2nd one, i still wanted a mac. after i finally saved enough money and bought my powerbook, i kept my pc on and connected downstairs, where it has been all along, but ive used it maybe 6 times since i got my mac. the other day was the first time in a couple of weeks that i used it, and it was only because i didnt feel like walking upstairs to grab my laptop.

i guess what it really boils down to is this: i use pc's because theyre computers. i use my mac because i enjoy it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't like the idea of laptops. They are expensive, mostly non-upgradeable, prone to damage, and it can be stolen from a car.

Most of those things also apply to a mac......although, maybe not the car. I like the fact that I can build my own pc from the tower case to the keyboard. All of the parts are available, and not too expensive.

What does a mac user do when a hard drive fails? Or a video card? Sound card? NIC? USB II controller? Monitor?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
15" PowerBook G4 running OSX v.10.4.7. FWIW.

I have used both Mac and PC's, and definitely prefer Mac's. :stretchgr Easier to use, fewer (almost no) crashes, and almost no viruses. :waving:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ Work: iMac 17" 800Mhz G4...
@ Home: Quick Silver G4 933 1 G Ram, 21" Apple Monitor
iBook 15" 700Mhz (For Father To check e-mail)
New MacBook Pro 15" 2 Ghz 1 G Ram, (For Radios and ME to PLAY)
TI-Powerbook 15.2" 867Mhz 1 Gig Ram
+ 3 iPods, Etc............
I Left Stuff out, but you might get the Idea!..
Jeff-N8NOE

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
@ Work: iMac 17" 800Mhz G4...
@ Home: Quick Silver G4 933 1 G Ram, 21" Apple Monitor
iBook 15" 700Mhz (For Father To check e-mail)
New MacBook Pro 15" 2 Ghz 1 G Ram, (For Radios and ME to PLAY)
TI-Powerbook 15.2" 867Mhz 1 Gig Ram
+ 3 iPods, Etc............
I Left Stuff out, but you might get the Idea!..
Jeff-N8NOE
:popeyes: :awholelot :drool:

i still want a quad-core g5, loaded to the max. dual cinema displays and all (doesnt have to be the 30"). who cares about intel chips, when i can have 4 power pc ones?

then again, there's something that just seems wrong about having a computer thats worth more than your car is.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
:popeyes: :awholelot :drool:

i still want a quad-core g5, loaded to the max. dual cinema displays and all (doesnt have to be the 30"). who cares about intel chips, when i can have 4 power pc ones?

then again, there's something that just seems wrong about having a computer thats worth more than your car is.
The new dual core mac pro has two processors on each chip and they are faster than a G5 in both speed and actual performance by a ton. Plus you can fit 4 hard drives in the new case cause it doesn't need liquid cooling, and it has enough slots to put 16GB of ram!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The new dual core mac pro has two processors on each chip and they are faster than a G5 in both speed and actual performance by a ton. Plus you can fit 4 hard drives in the new case cause it doesn't need liquid cooling, and it has enough slots to put 16GB of ram!
damn you people and your analytical-based logic. :grin: