Which platform: Mac or pc

• Macintosh (go Apple!!)

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • PC (boo!!!)

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Josh has me drooling now...... Dual Duo Cores, Say that five time huh....
I'm real happy with the New MacBook PRO, The idea of having the PC for the Garmin GPS stuff, and some Motorola software is great, and the speed of the OSX is GREAT!.. It really is better than Twice the spped of the QuickSilver. I know this from Running Seti@Home... Any way you look at it the Mac is so solid, why have a PC anyway?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new dual core mac pro has two processors on each chip and they are faster than a G5 in both speed and actual performance by a ton. Plus you can fit 4 hard drives in the new case cause it doesn't need liquid cooling, and it has enough slots to put 16GB of ram!
My Gods.....

What would you use that thing for?

Well, not that I really care, because just having it would be cool.

:)

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I could use a MacPro, both at work and for my home based business/hobby. I have 3 external FireWire hard drives attached to my iMac G5 at home right now, totalling just a skosh under 1TB of drive space...it'd be nice to have that all confined to one box and with 1 power cord.

In addition, I have one of those drives that I swap out every 6 months no matter what (I store my offline footage on hard drives) and having the easy-to-swap drive cages in the MacPro would be nice.

Also, the increased processing speed would certainly lessen all my rendering time. Shoot, I could probably ditch my idea of building a MacMini render farm (not that I could afford that, either).

But unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a new computer right now; it'll have to wait til at LEAST next fiscal year, and possibly the one after that.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I could use a MacPro, both at work and for my home based business/hobby. I have 3 external FireWire hard drives attached to my iMac G5 at home right now, totalling just a skosh under 1TB of drive space...it'd be nice to have that all confined to one box and with 1 power cord.

In addition, I have one of those drives that I swap out every 6 months no matter what (I store my offline footage on hard drives) and having the easy-to-swap drive cages in the MacPro would be nice.

Also, the increased processing speed would certainly lessen all my rendering time. Shoot, I could probably ditch my idea of building a MacMini render farm (not that I could afford that, either).

But unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a new computer right now; it'll have to wait til at LEAST next fiscal year, and possibly the one after that.

That is a damn lot of storage. I'm assuming you're business is dealing with video in some aspect so it makes sense

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yuppers, tis video...this is my home-based business: http://www.getbent4x4.com

I shoot about 30 hours of footage per DVD, and I have to import almost all of it to get the right stuff for editing. And since the format I record in is 25MB/sec, it adds up quick.

Oh, and btw...I just landed a new day job this week (I'm a graphic designer) and they are setting me up with a brand new QuadCore Xeon MacPro and a 23" display. I can't wait to play with that puppy!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Nice, I love off road DVDs. I'll have to pick one up.

And congrats on the new job!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I don't know if you've ever seen an off-road DVD, but they all follow pretty much the *exact* same formula as a typical skateboard video: rough, hand-held footage of really crazy 4x4 stuff overlaid with a really loud headbanging soundtrack. That's great and all, and honestly it's what the market expects when they buy an off-road DVD.

Now there's nothing WRONG with that, but it's not what we do. :smile:

Instead, we went through great pains and expense to shoot quality, professional, stable footage along with accurate sound capture to present an AUTHENTIC representation of what 4-wheelin (specifically, Recreational Rockcrawling) is really like.

Okay, enough about that...sometimes it's hard to get out of 'business' mode. :waving:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea some of those vids can be pretty bad. Glad to see you take it to the next level