What's new

Post Embargo Confusion?

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was smoking a NC tonight with a name similar to an ISOM brand. It got me thinking... Supposing that the Cuba embargo ends (crossing fingers), what is going to happen with all the brands that are the same name? It is my understanding that these brands aren't related to the ISOM brands. Will one group have to change its name or will there be two of every name? Or am I confused?

Did that question make sense? :wtf:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I'm scared that if embargo drops there will be a Cuban cigar boom in the US and they (Cuba) will be pushing out so many cigars that the quality will severly suffer. My guess is that they will continue share the brand name as they do now :dunno:just that they will be made in different contries.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I really have no idea about the brands. It might be possible that they wiil remain the same, but different. It could also be possible that the cigar brands and world as we know them could change completely.

I too share the feeling that the quality of the current brands, as they are today, would suffer.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
You know what would happen?
We would still be buying habanos overseas.

Could we see a cameroon wrapper and cuban binder/filler?
Never. Altadis would still be in control of the cuban tobacco.

Altadis sees profit margin over quantity. With no embargo, it would be necessary for them to keep the quality up. Altadis would setup a US distribution with prices way jacked up to level the demand.

Simply put, the end of the embargo would spell disaster for everyone and their beloved habanos. Strange as it sounds...

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It's a copy right infringement issue. I believe Altidas was copyrighting or trademarking cuban brand names and General Cigars sued over this. I have no clue who won or what came of this issue. But basically, they were trying to make sure the cuban brands were covered before the embargo ended to have a "leg up" so to speak.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I largely agree with Vipe on this but I do think the quality will go down some. No doubt the US prices would be outrageous and availability would be slim. That's actually the reason I haven't gotten rid of my NC's. If it comes down bad for Habanos I figure at least I've got my stash to slowly work through and several hundred aging NC's to help stretch 'em out.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There was a big stink a couple years back about the Cohiba brand name, between the Cohiba with the yellow and black label that was being sold out of the DR and the 'red dot' Cohiba...Don't recall much of it, but I could see lots of copy right lawsuits and what not being filed..

Andrew

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ALTADIS I've been informed already owns 49% of Habanos SA, so the non-Cuban RyJ, H. Upmann, SLR, Por Larrañaga, Montecristo, Trinidad, should be easier to settle. :dunno:

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Texas Cop said:
There was a big stink a couple years back about the Cohiba brand name, between the Cohiba with the yellow and black label that was being sold out of the DR and the 'red dot' Cohiba...Don't recall much of it, but I could see lots of copy right lawsuits and what not being filed..

Andrew
I believe the yellow band cohiba makers were sued for impersonating a cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The legal disputes over Cuban cigars surprisingly centers on only two brands: Cohiba and Trinidad. Culbro corporation, an American company, registered its "Cohiba" cigars with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in 1978 and assigned the subsequent registration to another American company, General Cigar. In 1997 the Cuban government petitioned the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in protest of naming rights and the almost identical trademark. According to the (WTO TRIPS agreement), the trademark can fall under protest in three areas. Firstly, is the name "Cohiba" under which Cuba claims to have produced its top of the line cigars since 1960. Cuba claims that "Cohiba" is a "famous name" and under international law, "should not be appropriated by a producer in another country." Secondly, the trademark or logo that wraps the cigar. The wrapping logo is very similar on both the American and the Cuban brand.

The only distinguishing detail on the wrapper is the red color band for the American cigar and the yellow band for the Cuban. Thirdly, the American brand is sold under the advertisement of being "Cuban style" and made with "Cuban seed". According to Cuba, this is a blatant attempt to steal the "intellectual property" and confuse the consumer. In October of 1998, two Florida Senators introduced the Omnibus Consolidated and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act into law. Section 211 of this act prohibits Cuban companies from registering "confiscated" trademarks in the US without permission of the original owner. US courts are also prohibited from recognizing any such trademark rights. This is an attempt to outmaneuver both Cuba and the WTO to lay claim that the original owners of the trademarks were the families that fled Cuba before 1960. The EU has formally backed Cuba on questioning the legality of the OCES Act and requested the WTO take the matter to its Dispute Settlement Body. The WTO has since found Section 211 to be out of bounds according to TRIPS and requested the U.S. correct its legislation accordingly. The EU position is that Section 211 "violates several portions or provisions of the WTO Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights" (Shapiro, Perry, Woods 2000). US representatives reject the EU stance, stating that Section 211 is in accordance with TRIPS. Several meetings have been held regarding this, with no conclusion to date. It is currently pending review by the Dispute Settlement Body of the WTO. The other brand, Trinidad, is also in a legal dispute. Cuba was granted the registered brand name, TTT Trinidad, La Habana, Cuba by the USPTO in 1996. However, in 1997, the Trinidad family petitioned the USPTO for cancellation. There is no resolution yet, in the meantime, the Trinidad family is selling cigars with the TTT Trinidad name.

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The Cohiba decision was just won on appeal by the non-cuban company. the decision overturned the district court's ruling that the NC Cohibas were in the wrong basically.

anyhow, there would be litigation on this, since the rough test for copyright infringement involves confusion to the public. there could not just be 2 of everything, made in different countries by different firms, which were 2 different products. it can't be thet way.

too bad copyright isn't on my bar exam next tuesday, and secured creditors' rights is. :sadstare:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hopefully the copy-cat brands will just go away. My limited experience is that they barely resemble the originals and need to be gone.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appeals Court Confirms General Cigar's Ownership of Cohiba Trademark in the U.S.
Cubatabaco Vows to Appeal, Claiming Battle isn't Over

General Cigar Co. has won back its ownership of the Cohiba trademark in the U.S. The Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York ruled in February in favor of General Cigar Co., Inc. in a lawsuit filed by Cubatabaco in 1997 over trademark ownership of the Cohiba brand in the United States.

The Second Circuit held that "General Cigar's legal right to the Cohiba mark has been established as against Cubatabaco. General Cigar has a right to use the mark in the United States because it owns the mark in the United States."

As a result of the ruling, General Cigar will be able to continue to manufacture the Cohiba brand and market it in the U.S.

General Cigar received its first registration of the Cohiba trademark in the U.S. in 1981, and again in 1992. The company has sold its Dominican Cohiba cigar in the U.S. since the early 1980s.

Cubatabaco filed this lawsuit against General Cigar in 1997, claiming rights to the Cohiba name in the U.S., nearly two decades after General Cigar first applied for registration.

"We always believed we owned the U.S. rights to the brand and are pleased that the appeals court ruled in our favor," said Edgar M. Cullman, Jr., president and c.e.o. of General Cigar.

"Now that a federal court has confirmed our rights to the Cohiba brand, we intend to focus our attention on violation of our trademark by sellers of counterfeit Cohiba cigars sold in the U.S., " promised Cullman.

April, 2005

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
This whole stealing brand names isn't over yet. I was reading the new C.A. and General Cigars is coming out with a Bolivar brand of cigars. It seems that when the embargo ends, that Cuba won't be able to market some of their most popular brands!

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Ah well...I guess I need to brush up on my n/c's :lookaroun

Either way, it still sucks that when/if the embargo ends that they won't be marketed in the USA. Not that it will keep my from buying abroad :innocent: