What's new

Post Embargo Confusion?

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
cvm4 said:
This whole stealing brand names isn't over yet. I was reading the new C.A. and General Cigars is coming out with a Bolivar brand of cigars. It seems that when the embargo ends, that Cuba won't be able to market some of their most popular brands!
That could help with everybodies concerns with production increasing and quality decreasing.

Eric E

HCF Senior Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scottsins said:
too bad copyright isn't on my bar exam next tuesday, and secured creditors' rights is. :sadstare:
Just remember, if you feel you fucked up the BAR, you probably did fine. If you feel like you aced it, watch out.

I passed it my first shot, but I thought I fucked it up bad! Good luck!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
scottsins said:
The Cohiba decision was just won on appeal by the non-cuban company. the decision overturned the district court's ruling that the NC Cohibas were in the wrong basically.

anyhow, there would be litigation on this, since the rough test for copyright infringement involves confusion to the public. there could not just be 2 of everything, made in different countries by different firms, which were 2 different products. it can't be thet way.

too bad copyright isn't on my bar exam next tuesday, and secured creditors' rights is. :sadstare:

Eric E said:
Just remember, if you feel you fucked up the BAR, you probably did fine. If you feel like you aced it, watch out.

I passed it my first shot, but I thought I fucked it up bad! Good luck!
These are from a book called Disorder in the American Courts, and are
things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and now published by court reporters who had the torment of staying calm while these exchanges were actually taking place.

Q: Are you sexually active?
A: No, I just lie there.

Q: What is your date of birth?
A: July 15th.
Q: What year?
A: Every year.

Q: What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?
A: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.

Q: This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?
A: Yes.
Q: And in what ways does it affect your memory?
A: I forget.
Q: You forget? Can you give us an example of something that you've
forgotten?

Q: How old is your son, the one living with you?
A: Thirty-eight or thirty-five I can't remember which.
Q: How long has he lived with you?
A: Forty-five years.

Q: What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke up
that morning?
A: He said, "Where am I, Cathy?"
Q: And why did that upset you?
A: My name is Susan.

Q: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo or the
occult?
A: We both do.
Q: Voodoo?
A: We do.
Q: You do?
A: Yes, voodoo.

Q: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
doesn't know about it
until the next morning?
A: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Q: The youngest son, the twenty-year-old, how old is he?

Q: Were you present when your picture was taken?

Q: So the date of conception (of the baby) was August 8th?
Q: And what were you doing at that time?

Q: She had three children, right?
Q: How many were boys?
A: None.
Q: Were there any girls?

Q: How was your first marriage terminated?
A: By death.
Q: And by whose death was it terminated?

Q: Can you describe the individual?
A: He was about medium height and had a beard.
Q: Was this a male, or a female?

Q: Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice
which I sent to your
attorney?
A: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.

Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
A: All my autopsies are performed on dead people.

Q: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
A: Oral.

Q: Do you recall the time that you examined the body?
A: The autopsy started around 8:30 p.m.
Q: And Mr. Dennington was dead at the time?
A: No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing an
autopsy.

Q: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?

Q: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?

A: No.
Q: Did you check for blood pressure?
Q: Did you check for breathing?
Q: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began
the autopsy?
Q: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
A: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
Q: But could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?
A: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law
somewhere

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Q: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
A: Oral.

That one cracked me up :widemouth

Coppertop

Hi Ya Fellas
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hambo said:
I was smoking a NC tonight with a name similar to an ISOM brand. It got me thinking... Supposing that the Cuba embargo ends (crossing fingers), what is going to happen with all the brands that are the same name? It is my understanding that these brands aren't related to the ISOM brands. Will one group have to change its name or will there be two of every name? Or am I confused?

Did that question make sense? :wtf:
I am a pretty easy going guy.....but the term ISOM gets my feathers a little ruffled. You are not smoking and Island.....it is NOT illegal to say CUBA or CUBAN CIGAR.....OK. So, just say "I was smoking a NC tonight with a name similar to an Cuban brand." Really....did you see anyone else use that awful term when replying to your post? I just find it insulting to the people of Cuba....who, incidently work very hard to bring you those cigars. Maybe you should show them a little bit more respect. Maybe?

As for the embargo ending and the name sharing....honestly not to worried about it. Don't think the embargo is going to end anytime soon. But if it does....right before it is lifted, I am getting another VISA and buying away. Before they become overpriced (due to demand) and poor in quality. My .02

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ALTADIS USA show there teeth, so if Cubans ever became legal I imagine a lot of legal activity.

ALTADIS U.S.A. WINS $3.5 MILLION TOTAL IN YET ANOTHER JUDGMENT IN COUNTERFEITING CASE

On March 25, 2005, the United States District Court in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, awarded Altadis U.S.A. and their subsidiaries judgments totaling $3.5 million in their counterfeiting and trademark infringement lawsuit against two now inactive Florida corporations (South Beach Cigar Factory, and Tabacaleras Cubanas S.A. Corp. d/b/a Cuba Habanos U.S.A.) and their principal owner Rodolfo Morejon. Altadis U.S.A.’s Cuban Cigar Brands, N.V. and Max Rohr, Inc. divisions received statutory damages of $2 million and $1.5 million respectively.

The lawsuit centered on counterfeiting and trademark infringement involving four of Altadis U.S.A.'s brands – Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann and Saint Luis Rey. In addition to the monetary award, the defendants are ordered to recall all counterfeit products, promotional and packing materials and deliver them to Altadis U.S.A. for destruction. They are also permanently enjoined from engaging in any activities employing graphics that are “confusingly similar” to the above-mentioned registered trademarks.

The recent judgment is the latest in a series of awards to Altadis U.S.A. in their aggressive pursuit of counterfeiters in the cigar industry. “This was another important victory for Altadis, its distributors, consumers and the entire industry as well,” said Theo Folz, President and CEO of Altadis U.S.A. He added: “In today’s highly competitive world, protecting brand names and trade designs and controlling high standards of quality are critical for the successful marketing of brands, particularly those that have established a loyal following. Altadis U.S.A. will continue to pursue legal remedies against counterfeiters and those who sell counterfeit cigars.”

NOTICE TO THE TRADE

Altadis U.S.A. is strongly committed to vigorous enforcement of its trademark rights and will seek criminal prosecution of anyone who would infringe those rights. Altadis U.S.A. continues to work with state and federal law officials to use anti-counterfeiting laws to secure convictions of counterfeiters of our brands.

If we learn that any importer, distributor, retailer or other member of the Trade is dealing in counterfeit cigars or cigar packaging of our brands, we will proceed against you aggressively through civil and/or criminal channels. In addition to criminal prosecution, in appropriate cases, we will invoke the civil provision of the federal trademark law that allows courts to award trademark owners like Altadis U.S.A. up to $1 million in statutory (non-compensatory) damages per counterfeited mark, as well as their attorney’s fees. We have been awarded damages and attorney’s fees of $1 million to $3.5 million in such cases.

Altadis U.S.A. also continues to work successfully with U.S. Customs to arrange for the seizure and destruction of shipments of counterfeit cigars and packaging materials. Members of the Trade who have paid for cigars that turn out to be counterfeits and are thus seized by US Customs should be aware that in such circumstances they will find themselves without recourse. Counterfeiters do not refund monies paid nor are they in a position to make good with legitimate product with the quality and prestige of Altadis U.S.A.’s brands. Additionally, Altadis U.S.A. reserves the right to cancel as direct accounts, those parties who trade in counterfeit cigars.

Altadis U.S.A.’s premium brands include, among others: Montecristo, H. Upmann, Romeo y Julieta, Trinidad, Don Diego, Santa Damiana, Cabañas, Por Larrañaga, La Corona, Saint Luis Rey and Quintero.

We caution the Trade against engaging in illegal activity in violation of our rights in any of our brands and ask you to inform us immediately if you receive solicitations for products that violate such rights.

from: http://www.altadisusa.com/press/counterfeitarticle.asp

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Coppertop said:
I am a pretty easy going guy.....but the term ISOM gets my feathers a little ruffled. You are not smoking and Island.....it is NOT illegal to say CUBA or CUBAN CIGAR.....OK. So, just say "I was smoking a NC tonight with a name similar to an Cuban brand." Really....did you see anyone else use that awful term when replying to your post? I just find it insulting to the people of Cuba....who, incidently work very hard to bring you those cigars. Maybe you should show them a little bit more respect. Maybe?

As for the embargo ending and the name sharing....honestly not to worried about it. Don't think the embargo is going to end anytime soon. But if it does....right before it is lifted, I am getting another VISA and buying away. Before they become overpriced (due to demand) and poor in quality. My .02
My thoughts about the "ISOM" tag is one that on many other boards that is the only acceptable term for cubans, many places it is not kosher to say cuban or a cigar from cuba or whatever you may... i am sure that there are other reasons behind this but many people frown on the term Cuban becuase in all actuality it is Illegal...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I don't want this to become a pissing match here, but I think you might be over-reacting a bit Coppertop. I for one don't see it as insulting one bit. Cuba is an Island South of Miami. An Island-Nation, no doubt, but an island none-the-less.

If you don't like using acronyms or "codes", then don't use 'em. I don't see a reason to berate someone else for doing so. I don't think I've ever heard someone use the ISOM acronym in a derogatory way, and the only folks I've seen (so far) get uptight about it aren't Cuban.

For future reference, if you don't want to say Cuban Cigar, and you don't want to use "ISOM", CC works just fine...so long as it can't be confused in context with Credit Card. :wink:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't find it offensive either.

I like using acronyms and other fun words when talking about cigars e.g. Herf, ISOM, CC, NC, 'gar, Stogie, etc. I haven't met anyone that has used ISOM in a negative way before and I really can't figure out how describing a Cuban cigar as an ISOM holds any kinda of duragatory value towrds the people of Cuba any more then describing Clay or Jason as living in the South is duragatory towards them.

We are entitled to our opinions but nobody deserves to be berated over it.

Don't worry Hambo, you didn't do anything wrong IMO. :thumbsup: I love herfin' ISOM cigars!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, going WAY off topic now, but since we are pretty much there, for all those who have always been wondering, what the HECK the term HERF was or where it came from, here you go:
http://cigar-store.port5.com/what-is-herf.shtml

Little bit of a let down honestly, but kind of funny anyway. No idea how it evolved to meaning a gathering of cigar smokers. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quite weird as coal miners used to herf their lungs up, not sure if the same spelling but it was all the coal dust etc and has the same gutteral sound of the actual act!! Sorry if that put anyone off their food!!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
"Connie Whittager, perky weatherwoman on Montgomery, Alabama's WKKG-TV (used to describe the fog which paralyzed suburban roadways for two straight days in April 1997... in an interview on the Weather Channel, she explained, "...motorists were advised to avoid the western beltway and all lakeside arteries due to a stationary fog bank thicker than a hundred hounddogs herfin' Hondurans in a hayloft""

Classic!