Brush: Summer badger hair
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89lbl with chrome handle
Blade: Feather
After shave tonic: Pinaud Clubman
After shave balm: unscented Nivea +Men
Wax: Fisticuffs Mustache Wax

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Started using Crown Shaving products. Pre shave, cream, tonic and aftershave lotion. I'm really loving them, especially the cream and tonic!!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Tabac-day mostly ☺.
Built a uberlather with Tabac soap and Mem Olive cream.
I'm guessing that you like their line? I was going to get some but between the various tubes of Proraso and my current love, Le Piment de la Vie from Catie's Bubbles, (plus the cigars, plus the pipes and baccy, PLUS...) my wife would have some very disapproving looks if more shaving products started appearing.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Just picked up some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream and gave cold water shaving a try today using a Feather blade. I think this is the closest and easiest shave I've gotten so far. I read something about cold shaving the other day and decided to give it a shot. My face feels less irritated than when I shower first then shave with hot water.

The wife got me a badger brush for my birthday. I forget the brand but it's was a sweet deal and it's very nice.

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just picked up some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream and gave cold water shaving a try today using a Feather blade. I think this is the closest and easiest shave I've gotten so far. I read something about cold shaving the other day and decided to give it a shot. My face feels less irritated than when I shower first then shave with hot water.

The wife got me a badger brush for my birthday. I forget the brand but it's was a sweet deal and it's very nice.
I tried once the cold water shave but it wasn't so great. I hear so many good things about this, maybe I'll give it another swirl

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I haven't tried Tabac yet, but have heard great things. I did just order a new brush though :)
What did you get?
I ordered a custom Badger silvertip from here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MNorthLatheCrafts
Nice! Make sure you post a pic when it arrives.

I can't justify the $130 but I'd love one of these
That brush is asking to be added to my skull collection. Lol someday

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Been DE shaving lil less than a year. I went out and bought all the stuff needed....
But now I'm finding I'm getting really bad razor rash and not a good shave on my neck,
(leaving lots of stubble) no matter how slow, fast, more soap, less soap or if I rise the blade after each stroke (with a long turkey neck like mine that is a lot of rash)

Any Ideas???

Using the following

Brush : Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush

Blade : Parker 96R - Long Handle Butterfly Open

DE Blade : (DE) Double Edge Safety Razor Blade Sample Packs

Pre Shave : Proraso Pre Shave Cream

Aftershave : Captain's Choice Bay Rum

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how many passes you do on the neck area? Do you shave against the grain on that area? From my personal experience, try to shave only with the grain for a few days and see how it goes.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Been DE shaving lil less than a year. I went out and bought all the stuff needed....
But now I'm finding I'm getting really bad razor rash and not a good shave on my neck,
(leaving lots of stubble) no matter how slow, fast, more soap, less soap or if I rise the blade after each stroke (with a long turkey neck like mine that is a lot of rash)

Any Ideas???

Using the following

One of the most critical and overlooked parts of a great shave is the prep.

So let's start there. What kind of prep are you doing? Do you shower first, what do you use to wash your face, etc.? Also, are you shaving every day?

Pre-shave oil is funny. Some people (myself included) find it makes for a better shave. Others find it neither improves nor impairs the shave. Others still find it actually makes shaving worse. So try a couple of shaves without the oil. Proraso makes a good oil so there shouldn't be any chemicals in there that are affecting your skin but, if it's scented, you could have become sensitive to that oil.

Next, you mention you're using blades from a sample pack. Once you find a blade you like, stick with it. From what you just wrote, I'd say stop using that blade. Not all blades do well in all razors on every skin type and with every shaving method. For me, with my style and my razor, I find Feathers work best. But that may not be the winning combo for you.

Finally, in addition to the aftershave splash, I'd recommend a non-scented balm to apply after the aftershave.

Now, if you do all of those at once, you won't have isolated the variable that caused the rash. So here's what I would do in order:

1. Make sure you're using a good facial cleanser on your face. That stuff is designed for facial skin and will help a lot. Don't use regular body washes on your face.
2. If that's not enough, keep doing that but try not using the pre-shave cream/oil
3. If that doesn't change anything, go back to using the pre-shave, and change the blade. Once you find a blade that doesn't cause the irritation, then just stick with that blade.
4. Go buy a decent unscented balm to use at the end.

BTW, what shaving soap/cream are you using? ANd how do you lather it up?

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0

Any Ideas???

Using the following

One of the most critical and overlooked parts of a great shave is the prep.

So let's start there. What kind of prep are you doing? Do you shower first, what do you use to wash your face, etc.? Also, are you shaving every day?

Pre-shave oil is funny. Some people (myself included) find it makes for a better shave. Others find it neither improves nor impairs the shave. Others still find it actually makes shaving worse. So try a couple of shaves without the oil. Proraso makes a good oil so there shouldn't be any chemicals in there that are affecting your skin but, if it's scented, you could have become sensitive to that oil.

Next, you mention you're using blades from a sample pack. Once you find a blade you like, stick with it. From what you just wrote, I'd say stop using that blade. Not all blades do well in all razors on every skin type and with every shaving method. For me, with my style and my razor, I find Feathers work best. But that may not be the winning combo for you.

Finally, in addition to the aftershave splash, I'd recommend a non-scented balm to apply after the aftershave.

Now, if you do all of those at once, you won't have isolated the variable that caused the rash. So here's what I would do in order:

1. Make sure you're using a good facial cleanser on your face. That stuff is designed for facial skin and will help a lot. Don't use regular body washes on your face.
2. If that's not enough, keep doing that but try not using the pre-shave cream/oil
3. If that doesn't change anything, go back to using the pre-shave, and change the blade. Once you find a blade that doesn't cause the irritation, then just stick with that blade.
4. Go buy a decent unscented balm to use at the end.

BTW, what shaving soap/cream are you using? ANd how do you lather it up?
Shower, washing face, soaking in as hot water as face will stand, Shave ever three days .....
Pre-shave
While the blade is under hot running water to pre clean, I'll soak my face down with hot steamy water , then apply Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Next, you mention you're using blades from a sample pack
Today I changed the blade to another pack , Using Dorco (I could feel the different), I did notice all this started with Lord blades
aftershave splash:
After shaving today I use the Pre Shave Cream again, rubbing it in, then rising with Cold water, Then apply the Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Figure I'll explain how I shave.....
Normally I'll lather right jaw and right side neck, 1st pass is a downward, (reapply soap) 2nd pass sideward from ear to mouth,(reapply soap) 3rd pass Upward from jaw line to sideburns....(Same on left side)
Neck: I'll 1st down ward to collar line, (Reapply soap) 2nd upward from collar to Jaw line
Mouth to Chin between go-tee , apply soap, shave in downward motion under jaw line, and square Go-tee
(between each pass rising the blade under HOT running water)

Now today I can say less irritation and rash, still have more stubble than I like (can't seem to get as smooth as my face)

Btw , thanks guys.....

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you are doing the right routine. Try to change to a Personna blade and see if it makes a difference. Also very important, try not to shave upward the next few times and see if it gets better. Dorco blades don't get too many positive reviews, try a Personna blade or a Feather and see how it goes. Also make sure the angle of the blade stays the same on your neck as on your face.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Looks like you are doing the right routine. Try to change to a Personna blade and see if it makes a difference. Also very important, try not to shave upward the next few times and see if it gets better. Dorco blades don't get too many positive reviews, try a Personna blade or a Feather and see how it goes. Also make sure the angle of the blade stays the same on your neck as on your face.
I agree.

For the next few days, I'd avoid shaving against the grain as KLF says. Give your skin some time to recover. Also, try using a pre-shave oil (I just saw that it was a cream). An oil will make your skin slick, allowing the blade to easily glide over it. However, do NOT spend $20 on a 2 ounce bottle of it. Mix 2 parts Castor Oil and 1 part Jojoba oil and you have the base of every single pre-shave oil out there.

And, yes, definitely give the Feathers a try!