What's new

Post your shave of the day here

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Thanks guys i'll give it all a try...... anything to make my turkey neck HAPPY :yes:

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
My first shave with a DE blade today!
Prep: Dove Men Care+ Hydrating lotion (all I could find at CVS...) then a hot shower about 10 minutes later.
Soap: I dunno, but it was white and had an indentation of a smiley fat guy. (Got it for Christmas from my sister)
Brush: Haryali London badger
Razor: Haryali London Chrome
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Aftershave: Dove Men Care+ Hydrating

Overall, I enjoyed it. I would like a better lather though. Next time too, I will read some instructions because I was kinda winging it.

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
King Kill - if you have a bath and body works nearby , get a tube of their CO Bigelow shave cream. If you like proraso, you'll love this stuff. It comes in a tube like toothpaste but you lather it with a brush. Its dreamy!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My first shave with a DE blade today!
Prep: Dove Men Care+ Hydrating lotion (all I could find at CVS...) then a hot shower about 10 minutes later.
Soap: I dunno, but it was white and had an indentation of a smiley fat guy. (Got it for Christmas from my sister)
Brush: Haryali London badger
Razor: Haryali London Chrome
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Aftershave: Dove Men Care+ Hydrating

Overall, I enjoyed it. I would like a better lather though. Next time too, I will read some instructions because I was kinda winging it.
How did you do your lather?

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I run the brush under hot water a bit, then swirl it around on the soap block.
Thx jkittle99, we do have a B&BW here. I spaced about that place until you mentioned it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prep: Hot shower and Shave Secret pre-shave oil
Soap: Proraso
Brush: Van der Hagen Badger
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather
Aftershave: Nautica Blue balm
Cologne: Nautica Blue

Only like my 5th or so time shaving with a safety razor but I think I finally got my technique down and I'm really enjoying it.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Soap - razorock third eye
Razor - DE89L
Brush - Vintage Blades LLC house brand 24 mm finest
Blade - Feather (black)
Aftershave - mix of both Feather balm (it's unscented) and Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I run the brush under hot water a bit, then swirl it around on the soap block.
Thx jkittle99, we do have a B&BW here. I spaced about that place until you mentioned it.
Here's what I do with a block of shaving soap (not cream):
  1. Right before I get into the shower, I fill my lathering bowl/scuttle with hot water and let both my brush and my razor soak.
  2. I also put about a tablespoon or so of hot water in my soap container (this softens up the soap and you'll use the water later)
  3. After I get out of the shower (about 6-10 minutes), I pour out the water from my lathering bowl/scuttle, and shake all the excess water out of my brush
  4. I then pour the soapy water from my soap container into my lathering bowl
  5. I then immediately apply the soap to my brush by swirling it around on the softened soap, loading the brush up with shaving soap. I add enough soap so that the brush's bristles start to clump together.
  6. Then I start swirling the brush around in the soapy water in the lathering bowl. Although it's just a small amount of water, it should be plenty to get a nice, tight lather. If you can see air bubbles in the lather, it's too wet and keep lathering up. If it's still too wet, I rinse the brush out, shake out the excess water, and continue lathering up the soap.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thanks man. That sounds like it makes perfect sense. Shave day tomorrow and my package from Amazon came in. None of the three Proraso labelled items are in English, but I'll figure it out!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420778479.085133.jpg
Shave tonight was much nicer. Less whiskers but the lather was wonderful.

One question. Not to sure how to get at the whiskers up by the nose? I used the single blade on my old Pro Glide to get em.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
One question. Not to sure how to get at the whiskers up by the nose? I used the single blade on my old Pro Glide to get em.
That takes some practice. After a while you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed, but to start it helps to actually push your nose up with you left hand, making it easier for the blade to get up there. Also, a second pass from the sides helps as well.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Same shave. Gets better every time. Need to make sure the blade is wet though. The lather dries and kinda cakes on my face. Maybe just lather up what I need for a few strokes next time or go half.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
As you get more comfortable shaving, you'll find that you can go a bit faster (without carving up your face like a prime rib on new year's), and that will help with the soap not drying out.
Do you use a pre-shave oil? If not, maybe give it a go, as that will help keep the soap moist and keep the skin lubricated.