What's new

Post your shave of the day here

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Yeah, Feather is 'supposed' to be the best, but I'd put them 3rd or 4th on my list based on feel.
That's why I am always suspicious of "the best" title. The best blade is the one you enjoy using the most because it gives you the shave that you're looking for.

A great shave is a combination of the blade, the razor, skin type, and the pre-shave prep. If I bought a new razor, I would have to go through the same blade selection process since the Feathers may not be the right blade anymore with the new razor.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Agree 110% I actually did not know that feather was deemed the best. Where I buy from they say the best blade is shark and I don't mind using it but feather is my favourite for the type of skin and shaver I am.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Forgot to update earlier
I just purchased this one as well... I've shaved once, I too left the beard club, but still have the long goatee... I am a little hesitant to shave my head with it, as all I have is canned shave cream and no brush. Do i really need to have the full shave ritual? Preshave, soap, brush, aftershave? I just lather, shave, wash and done...

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Shaved with a Parker 99R safety razor this morning (travelling) with a Persona blade and some Tabac shave soap lathered with an Omega boar brush. It's my standard set up when I'm on the road (when I'm home I use a straight edge and typically some MWF or MdC).

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
So, brush and soap are a necessity? I guess showers will be quicker as I won't be shaving in there anymore... But, any concerns with head shaving? Maybe that question should go more towards the resident bald guy @rdomfoto

Rob, care to post an opinion on it?
Ouch! LOL

I actually just buzz my head with a #2 comb. I used to shave my head but haven't for years. I know a lot of guys who shave their head with a safety razor and, I suppose, I would probably give it a go. Just be careful and remember to let the razor's weight do all of the work and you should be fine. Keep a styptic pencil handy, just in case!

As for the necessity of the brush and razor - yeah, not "needed" in the strictest sense of the word but I really think you'll be missing out on what makes a good shave enjoyable. The canisters of shave foam just don't cut it for me. Even inexpensive but "proper" shave creams like those from Proraso will give you a much nicer and luxurious foam to shave with. I've had my badger hair brush for almost 10 years, so it's an investment that you will keep around for a while. Plus, with a proper shaving bowl or scuttle, you can get your lather ready in around 30 seconds so it's not really adding that much time to your routine.

Yes, you do have to suffer the cost of a good brush (I think I paid about $65 for mine - again, 10 years ago) and a decent razor ($30-$40) but once you have the investment, the ongoing costs are really low. Blades are really fun to buy when you're spending $10 for a year's worth while your buddies are all spending $30 on cartridges that will last them a month or two. Finally, the joy of finding some of the great boutique shaving creams and soaps can't be over-stated. There are some fantastic scents out there!!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Sweet!
Just remember that, when you're done, rinse the brush out really well, give it a quick squeeze and a couple of shakes to get rid of the water, and then hand it on the stand. That brush will last for years and years.

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe this would be a better show of what I bought...

Dude, I am so new at this I have no clue what I'm doing... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
For head shaving I recommend you an Omega Pro 48 brush. It's inexpensive around 15$ shipped and most importantly it's big, just what you need to cover a lot of real estate in just a few swirls.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Hair and beard are all gone. I feel ten pounds lighter!
Condolences brother. I just had to trim up the beard for my wedding last Saturday. At least it will grow back but the damn barber took way more than the inch I asked to be trimmed
I never did get around to sharing this:

Forgive me @Griz, for I have sinned.
It's been over two weeks since my last beard...

Shave of that day was the tractor w/ brush hog attachment and subsequent weed whip trimming. Now back to my beloved Merkur while I'll try to get back in to the routine...
Shaving takes a lot of time!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The only thing I shave anymore is my neck and the couple of scraggly hairs on my cheeks that pop up above the beard line, but even when I was clean shaven, I've been using a Dovo straight razor for years.

My wife usually buys me two or three soaps at Christmas in whatever scents she likes and honestly at this point I have a stockpile. Currently using something with sage in it.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Merkur is an excellent brand and, although I've not used the FUTUR, I'm interested in it. I like that you can adjust the angle of the blade. I have an Edwin Jagger that I love but I wouldn't mind one that's a bit more aggressive. The fact that you can adjust the blade should let you dial it in according to your skin type and shaving style.

I say go for it, but I like to enable people's spending habits