What's new

Post your shave of the day here

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
In my minimal research, I haven't heard of the vision, may need to look into that one, does it have the adjustable feature to it?

As a side note, my wife told me today that she should have bought me a DE razor years ago... I just didn't like shaving... Until I got this, it's the routine... It's actually a joy to shave now... I'm afraid that I'm hooked... Maybe, one day, I will go straight razor... Maybe...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
In my minimal research, I haven't heard of the vision, may need to look into that one, does it have the adjustable feature to it?

As a side note, my wife told me today that she should have bought me a DE razor years ago... I just didn't like shaving... Until I got this, it's the routine... It's actually a joy to shave now... I'm afraid that I'm hooked... Maybe, one day, I will go straight razor... Maybe...
Yeah, I've enjoyed shaving for years but it wasn't until I got my DE and switched to quality soaps that I really started to enjoy the whole ritual of the shave.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

I'd have to dig to find where I ordered it, but I think it was direct from a shop in Germany...
I really liked the matched set with bowl, brush, razor & stand.
I saw one with the futur in it, but just a little out of my price range... Okay, it was a lottle out of my price range, but DAMN it looked awesome.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
@Ducttapegonewild, yeah, not cheap, but when I bought it I justified by calculating the money I had been spending on those damn cartridge replacements and realized the payoff wasn't far off.
There are plenty of more economical models out there that perform just as well, I'm sure. But there's a level of craftsmanship, just like with cigars, pipes, etc...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
@rdomfoto I love the razor/brush, but I haven't found the right soap for me yet. Been trying to get that Proraso to work for me, but can't get a good lather. Any you found that are super easy to work with?
I find Proraso "easy" to work with but also find its lather lackluster and wanting.
I am currently using Le Piment de la Vie from Catie's Bubbles. It's a bit expensive at $20 but it's a hard shaving soap as opposed to a traditional cream like Proraso and has lasted a really long time. And I absolutely love the scent.
I find that shaving soap is just as easy to work with (IMHO) but just needs an extra step. Here's what I do:
  • Before I get in the shower, fill my shave bowl with hot tap water and submerse both my brush and my razor
  • I also put about a tablespoon of hot tap water on top of the soap puck (this softens it)
  • Once I'm out of the shower and ready to shave, I apply my pre-shave oil then dump out the hot water from my shaving bowl.
  • I shake my brush out to remove excess water.
  • I dump the water that was sitting on my soap puck into my shaving bowl (you need some water to lather it up so why not use the soapy water?!)
  • I then run my brush over and over the softened soap puck (and even plunge it down a few times) until it's loaded with soap. You can tell you have enough soap with the brush's bristles start clumping together.
  • Then I start working my sap-laden brush around my shaving bowl that has the soapy water until it lathers up.
If, after 30 seconds, there are still visible air bubbles in the lather, it's too wet. If it's too stiff, then there wasn't enough water. In the case of too stiff lather, add a couple of drops (literally just a couple of drops) into the later and keep working it. If it's too wet, squeeze the lather from your brush back into the bowl and then swirl your brush on the soap a bit more to pick up some more soap.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
@Ducttapegonewild, yeah, not cheap, but when I bought it I justified by calculating the money I had been spending on those damn cartridge replacements and realized the payoff wasn't far off.
There are plenty of more economical models out there that perform just as well, I'm sure. But there's a level of craftsmanship, just like with cigars, pipes, etc...
When I lost my beloved Mach III handle, I bought the latest and greatest gimmick razor - some Gillette thing with a vibrating handle, 5 blades in the cartridge, etc. I got an okay shave from it but when I had to buy a replacement pack of cartridges and an eight-pack was $30, that's when I went to the DE safety. I bought the razor for $40 and spent about $10 on a sample pack. Now I buy a 5 pack of Feather blades (50 blades total) for $15 on Amazon. A blade lasts 5 shaves (probably a few more but, at that price, I can afford to change more often) and I shave every two days. So that 50 pack lasts me a year - not bad for $15. First blade order and I saved money over the cartridge system!

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If soaps, the Martin de Candre is the most expensive one I bought. However it worth every penny, lasted me about a year and a half and the quality is unmatched. Another great option is the Tabac shaving soap. Priced at about 15$ it provides an outstanding performance and it's very easy to lather.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I had the best of my best shave of the year so far today! Probably all in my head, but my face feels great. A complete BBS. I used a 1956 Gillette Superspeed, a brand new Simpson Chubby 2 (still not sure it's worth the coin, but damn is it nice), some Martin de Candre (worth every last penny, great soap and it lasts forever), and a new feather blade. I can't seem to stop facestrubating right now.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Razor : Gillette Slimline 1964
Brush : Van Der Hagen Boar
Pre Shave: Crown Shaving
Cream : Taylor of old Bond Street Sandlewood
Blade : Feather
Aftershave: Crown Shaving
Scent: Crown Shaving Roll On

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Great shave this morning! No nicks or cuts, and smooth. This morning I re-applied preshave between passes and it worked great, anyone else do this?
Razor : Gillette Slimline 1964
Brush : Van Der Hagen Boar
Pre Shave: The 2 Bits Man - Test blend
Cream : Taylor of old Bond Street Sandlewood
Blade : Feather
Aftershave: Crown Shaving
Scent: Aqua De Gio EDT

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I find Proraso "easy" to work with but also find its lather lackluster and wanting.
I am currently using Le Piment de la Vie from Catie's Bubbles. It's a bit expensive at $20 but it's a hard shaving soap as opposed to a traditional cream like Proraso and has lasted a really long time. And I absolutely love the scent.
I find that shaving soap is just as easy to work with (IMHO) but just needs an extra step. Here's what I do:
  • Before I get in the shower, fill my shave bowl with hot tap water and submerse both my brush and my razor
  • I also put about a tablespoon of hot tap water on top of the soap puck (this softens it)
  • Once I'm out of the shower and ready to shave, I apply my pre-shave oil then dump out the hot water from my shaving bowl.
  • I shake my brush out to remove excess water.
  • I dump the water that was sitting on my soap puck into my shaving bowl (you need some water to lather it up so why not use the soapy water?!)
  • I then run my brush over and over the softened soap puck (and even plunge it down a few times) until it's loaded with soap. You can tell you have enough soap with the brush's bristles start clumping together.
  • Then I start working my sap-laden brush around my shaving bowl that has the soapy water until it lathers up.
If, after 30 seconds, there are still visible air bubbles in the lather, it's too wet. If it's too stiff, then there wasn't enough water. In the case of too stiff lather, add a couple of drops (literally just a couple of drops) into the later and keep working it. If it's too wet, squeeze the lather from your brush back into the bowl and then swirl your brush on the soap a bit more to pick up some more soap.
I pretty much do the same thing, but I also add a few drops of vegetable glycerin to the lather bowl or mug.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
@rdomfoto I love the razor/brush, but I haven't found the right soap for me yet. Been trying to get that Proraso to work for me, but can't get a good lather. Any you found that are super easy to work with?
I had tried several soaps and had the same issue, hard to get a good lather. Due to that my shave was far from enjoyable.
In my research I found Mama Bears Shave Soaps. Wow, talk about a change.
Great lather, great selection of scents, and outstanding customer service.
Currently I've tried the Elements of Bamboo, Spellbound Woods, and Hinoki Wood.
The prices are very affordable (none of that $40 stuff from art of shaving to be found here) for these soaps as well.
Here's the link, try them out!
http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_12