Bowl: Old RazorRock XXX Dish
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Razors: Merkur 34G & Merkur 23C Long Handle
After Shave: Alum and Pacific Coast Balm
NEW PRODUCTS:
Cream: Truefitt & Hill No. 10
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Review:
This new cream has a nice oil sheen to it and smells of an overstuffed citrusy lemon meringue pie. Easy to whip up a decent lather (although in hindsight I could've added more to the brush initially). Admittedly I'm not much of a shaving cream DE shaver, only used TOBS Unscented and I failed miserably every time with it; until giving up and going back to my electric. Either it would be so dry it flaked or so lite it would dissipate on me. It wasn't until after thoroughly researching what soap to buy next, did I happen to land on a soap that would electrify this daily chore into a hobby (XXX). The No. 10 was in the middle of this, so I must improve my technique, because surely I'm doing something wrong here with this highly regarded cream. My bowl lathering could use some work (normally a face lather guy), moderate water brush dips and plenty of circular bowl action (wrist started to ache lol).

Luckily I used my trusty Lab Blues, which I know I can count on through thick and thin (lather wise...lol get it?). I had one unusual neck cut though, when the blade skipped over some drying cream. The chin tells all however; very thick wirey hair and some divots (from my youth when the skin on my chin was reconstructed after a bike accident). I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth this area was and with little to no irritation (will get to that soon). Now for my against the grain pass: as someone with sensitive skin, I'm always impressed how I can go against the grain on some areas of my neck and face at this early point in my wet shaving career. Unfortunately, this time was a bloody mess, and not the English version of "bloody" lol. I'm exaggerating of course but it still resulted with crazy irritation and several nicks. What am I doing wrong @UPTOWNSMOKE ??? I spent most of the time re-lathering in the bowl and adding lots of water (granted I have really hard water).

I was not looking forward to the ALUM part of the post shave, usually I can get by with little sting, but that's with XXX. The Pinaud felt and smelt AMAZING!!! I really enjoyed that, applied after Alum too. I think the biggest let-down (although it very well could be operator error) was that between passes it didn't leave a slick feeling on my face like XXX did. I can usually shave with this oily layer without re-applying any soap too. The aroma; both before and after lathering was simply amazing.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Very nice review Nick. You have a knack for this. A couple of things for you.

1. Try another blade or blades. I tried about 20 different blades before I settled on the three I keep in my den.
2. When shaving let the razor do the work. Do not put any pressure on the razor. Just put it on your face and let the weight of the razor do all the work, you just guide the razor.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice review Nick. You have a knack for this. A couple of things for you.

1. Try another blade or blades. I tried about 20 different blades before I settled on the three I keep in my den.
2. When shaving let the razor do the work. Do not put any pressure on the razor. Just put it on your face and let the weight of the razor do all the work, you just guide the razor.
HAHA thanks I quite enjoy writing these reviews...is that supposed to be a joke as I follow Nick Shaves on YouTube (names Matt Actually lol)

I will be trying out the PermaSharps next along with another cream (which I will reveal in my next review). I really do like Lab Blues though, which I have used for the last 6 months with my XXX, and without any issue for the most part. I think in this case it was more my lack of experience with shaving cream and bowl lathering. I appreciate the advice about the technique and I'm far from an expert, but after researching, reading blogs, watching DE 101 videos for 2 months; I think my technique is where I'd like it to be in this stage of the hobby. I do need help with the cream lathering technique though, if you have any pearls...which I know you must as these are your soaps and creams I'm using lol. I think the fact that it was dry and flaky then lite and dissipating was the main culprit this time.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Hey Matt, yes it was a little joke. In regards to shaving cream, I usually don't bowl lather. I put it right onto the brush and face lather. Keep experimenting, you'll figure it out. Took me about a year to know what i like and I'm still learning.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Matt, yes it was a little joke. In regards to shaving cream, I usually don't bowl lather. I put it right onto the brush and face lather. Keep experimenting, you'll figure it out. Took me about a year to know what i like and I'm still learning.
LOL I figured you were joking but since my name isn't publicly known, I thought I'd just check so you don't keep calling me Nick. By the look of your pictures I just assumed you bowl lathered, since there's always a bowl there LOL. I will keep trying, actually gonna be knocking out 4 more creams before I get to the soaps and "croaps". Speaking of which, I assume that most of the Stirling's you sent me are croaps, since they have a semi-soft texture, as opposed to a hard soap-like texture. Am I correct? (If i'm right I am very excited to try Stirling as XXX is a croap and I loved it). I think someone described croap's as being like a Frozen Italian Ice, creams being Soft Serve Ice Cream, and soaps of course being anything you forgot in the back of your freezer (some prep work needs to be done to be usable)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yes the Stirlings are croaps. I have no doubt you will love them. You will love the scents and the lather will just explode. Happy shaving. Watch out for #6, Glacial Lemon Chill.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes the Stirlings are croaps. I have no doubt you will love them. You will love the scents and the lather will just explode. Happy shaving. Watch out for #6, Glacial Lemon Chill.
YES!!! I was hoping you'd say that they were croaps. I think I have my next shave gear in mind...hint it's Stirling. It also has a very provocative menthol aroma (almost like Vick's Vapor Rub). Excited to see the lather exploding lol. What's up with #6? Not saying that's what I'm using next..........but I just might (coincidentally)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
YES!!! I was hoping you'd say that they were croaps. I think I have my next shave gear in mind...hint it's Stirling. It also has a very provocative menthol aroma (almost like Vick's Vapor Rub). Excited to see the lather exploding lol. What's up with #6? Not saying that's what I'm using next..........but I just might (coincidentally)

Be prepared for tears.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A Newbie's Wet Shave Journey - Review # 2
Prep: Cold shower (using Wim Hof Method) w/ hot water face scrub
Pre: American Crew Shave Oil
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
After Shave: Alum and Pacific Coast Balm
NEW PRODUCTS:
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill Croap
Aftershave: Brute Cologne

Review:
FREEZING!!!! The lather of this croap felt like liquid nitrogen. I am new to menthol, the only experience I have is my aftershave (Pacific Coast) and it isn't nearly as noticeable. I had a very difficult time lathering this, which surprised me because I went into this thinking it would be similar to my XXX (also a croap). With my XXX a thick voluminous lather is effortless no matter what water you are stuck with. I actually got through half of my shave with a pretty terrible lather...and it still was amazing. On top of that I was using a brand new style blade and a very runny lather, that speaks volumes of the quality of these products. I think I found a new dedicated soap company, since I prefer croaps over hard soaps and creams. It's Stirling by the way. I'm very excited to try out the other samples by Stirling; there is quite a few. After some dedicated research I found the issue to my problem with the lather. I was treating it like XXX, which breaks the cardinal shave rule that every soap requires the same approach, live and learn.

My original approach:
soak boar brush in mug for 20 minutes, shake off most of the water, start lathering in bowl until a thick lather fills brush with very microscopic bubbles, add water if necessary, start face lathering with an initial layer of semi pasty soap for a foundation, then get to work hydrating it with some dabs of hot water using swirling motions.

This didn't work out so well for Stirling Lemon Chill. it felt like wet cement and clogged the hell out of my brush to the point I was squeezing out clumps from it like an old expired toothpaste tube. After researching I found that a better approach to a sturdy hydrated lather was a soaking brush (only a few shakes) and a puck that was sprinkled with hot water. This produced a thick, non-dissipating, and slick lather which was enough for 4 passes and then some. I still managed to cut myself though which gave me the worst weeper I've ever had, which I used Alum to clean...ouchy (looked like Michael Myers paid a visit to my modest shave den). These Perma-Sharp Supers were magnificent!!! I noticed a closer shave on my second pass and they cut just as good as my Lab Blues, if not better. Although, the hair on my chiny-chin-chin was a little difficult to cut, took several more passes; however no irritation was caused which shocked me. The Brut Aftershave had a nice clean classic gentleman-like scent to it, although that Pinaud was slightly better feeling on my skin.

The picture below was taken before I had the Stirling lather figured out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Ouch, Nasty cut there. Yes the lemon chill is one of my fave. Brings tears to my eyes every time I use it. I usually soak my brush in hot water while I'm showering. I also put a few drops of hot water on the soap itself. Three shakes of the brush and I start the lathering. Withing a few seconds the lather just explodes. Play with it, you'll figure it out. Stirling makes excellent products.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
SOTD. Excellent shave today. Stirling Ozark Mountain is one of my favorite scents. Like all Stirling soaps the later and cushion are top notch. Not pictured is the Perma Sharp Blade.IMG_1900.JPG

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ouch, Nasty cut there. Yes the lemon chill is one of my fave. Brings tears to my eyes every time I use it. I usually soak my brush in hot water while I'm showering. I also put a few drops of hot water on the soap itself. Three shakes of the brush and I start the lathering. Withing a few seconds the lather just explodes. Play with it, you'll figure it out. Stirling makes excellent products.
Thanks. Stole the words out of my mouth. I can already tell that Stirling will be appearing more and more in my shave den. I'm just really surprised that a croap could be this thirsty lol. If you think that cut is bad, you should have seen the towel I used to stop the bleeding. It looked like the same towel Rocky Balboa used during the fight with Drago LOL. I think I hit an ingrown hair from the previous shave I had with all that irritation (Truefitt & Hill NO. 10)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thanks. Stole the words out of my mouth. I can already tell that Stirling will be appearing more and more in my shave den. I'm just really surprised that a croap could be this thirsty lol. If you think that cut is bad, you should have seen the towel I used to stop the bleeding. It looked like the same towel Rocky Balboa used during the fight with Drago LOL. I think I hit an ingrown hair from the previous shave I had with all that irritation (Truefitt & Hill NO. 10)

LOL. :smuggrin:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A Newbie's Wet Shave Journey - Review # 3
Prep: Cold shower (using Wim Hof Method) w/ hot water face scrub
Pre: American Crew Shave Oil
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
After Shave: Alum, Pinuad & Pacific Coast Balm
NEW PRODUCTS:
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated
Soap: Stirling Piacenza Croap

Review:
I think I'm menthol-spoiled after that Lemon Chill, even though I knew this wasn't part of the Glacial Line, I was half expecting it. I did love the scent of this croap before lather but it dissipated post-lather; just a faint citrus aroma detected. The croap performed beautifully and created a nice pillowey soft lather. It was very easy to lather this time around and it exploded in the bowl and on my brush. I still need to work on my technique, over-hydrated my sample and should've knocked my brush a little more than I did. This resulted in a light foamy lather with massive air bubbles (dumped in sink and reloaded).

The Blades on the other hand were not my favorite. It's not that they were dull and it could've been the Teflon coating wearing off, but i had to double check that the blade was even loaded in my razor....after loading the blade in my razor LOL. I had to over-tilt my razors for the blade to work its magic. This unfortunately had its pitfalls in the form of a visit from an old adversary...neck and face irritation (little red bumps). However, this wasn't normal irritation. It didn't burn when applying ALUM, which I was dreading so much, delaying it and delaying it. I was very surprised how close of a shave I got and how easy it was to shave my difficult chin area with a blade that appeared to be dull. If I didn't have to over-tilt it, or that it caused irritation, I'd say these were the best blades yet. Maybe the second attempt (after Teflon wears off) will serve me better.