What's new

Post your shave of the day here

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prep: Ice cold shower (shoutout to Wim Hof) with a hot water facial application of Apricot Scrub

Pre: American Crew Pre-Shave Oil

Brush: Omega 10066 Boar Hair soaking in a coffee mug I've had since I was 10

Soap: RazoRock XXX

Blade: Personna Lab Blue

Razor: Two Tier: (1.) Merkur 34 Gold for face (not as aggressive; sensitive skin)
(2.) Merkur 23 C Long Handle for Neck (rigged jawline makes it hard to reach with short 34G, plus knurling is more pronounced & easier to grip/less cuts)

Aftershave: Two Tier: (1.) Portland General Whiskey Splash w/ sea minerals.
(2.) Pacific Shaving Caffeinated Cream (2 minutes later)

Cologne: Calvin Klein Eternity Summer Scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
What do you use Witch Hazel for (sorry new to wet shaving)? Is it used as a alternative to Alum Block

It can be used as an alternative to an Alum Block or in addition to an Alum Block. I've only been wet shaving for about 2 years now. When I started out I saw on the forums that most were using witch hazel after shaving to help prevent skin irritations. To be honest, I love the way my face feels after applying the witch hazel. It's part of my shaving routine now. Shave, rinse, witch hazel, after shave, balm. I usually use Thayers lemon scented but wanted to finish off this cheap bottle I found at the local drug store. I rarely use an alum block as I rarely get any cuts or nicks. I would recommend you get a bottle of Thayers if you want to try it. I got mine on Amazon.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can be used as an alternative to an Alum Block or in addition to an Alum Block. I've only been wet shaving for about 2 years now. When I started out I saw on the forums that most were using witch hazel after shaving to help prevent skin irritations. To be honest, I love the way my face feels after applying the witch hazel. It's part of my shaving routine now. Shave, rinse, witch hazel, after shave, balm. I usually use Thayers lemon scented but wanted to finish off this cheap bottle I found at the local drug store. I rarely use an alum block as I rarely get any cuts or nicks. I would recommend you get a bottle of Thayers if you want to try it. I got mine on Amazon.
Awesome, I think I might just do that. The post shave is almost as enjoyable as the shave itself. As you can see my post is already a 3-step process. The alum block comes in handy for me since I have very sensitive skin and often get irritation (or i'm just a newbie and i'm still caught in the learning curve.). I've been wet shaving for about a year now, but shave every 3 days. For the majority of that year I was shaving with my electric cool skin, but recently gave it away so I can dedicate myself to this new and exciting hobby of Wet DE Shaving

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Awesome, I think I might just do that. The post shave is almost as enjoyable as the shave itself. As you can see my post is already a 3-step process. The alum block comes in handy for me since I have very sensitive skin and often get irritation (or i'm just a newbie and i'm still caught in the learning curve.). I've been wet shaving for about a year now, but shave every 3 days. For the majority of that year I was shaving with my electric cool skin, but recently gave it away so I can dedicate myself to this new and exciting hobby of Wet DE Shaving

Try different blades. I tried a few and ended with three that I love. #1 Voskhod, #2 Rapira, #3 Perma Sharp. I can honestly say I get no irritation form these three blades. I shave every other day and I love the feel of the Witch hazel on my face. Good Luck and happy shaving.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try different blades. I tried a few and ended with three that I love. #1 Voskhod, #2 Rapira, #3 Perma Sharp. I can honestly say I get no irritation form these three blades. I shave every other day and I love the feel of the Witch hazel on my face. Good Luck and happy shaving.
Thank you! I actually started off with a large sampler pack (like most do) and tried many blades until I found one that I liked and performed to my facial features. The Lab blue was one of those blades. Once I get more experience with them I plan on trying a feather and Shark Super Chrome. There's one issue I'm facing with shaving that I'm reluctant to talk about in the community. I'm 32 and I've never once shaved with a single blade Bic or any of the cartridge shavers (I.E. Mach). I've only used electric up until 1 year ago when I started researching DE Shaving on a whim. Because of this I have unusual facial hair patterns and a very wirey beard that still gives me trouble while shaving with the Merkur. Hopefully with my dedicated use of DE I can reverse all those years of neglect.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need a new lanolin soap. Anyone have any recommendations? I've only tried Mike's. Like it, despite it being challenging to lather.
Mitchel's Wool Fat I hear is great, although many have had lather problems with it. I ordered it once from Amazon but had to return it because the sweet ceramic bowl it came in arrived cracked. Also I hear if you have soft water it lathers much easier than if you have hard (which I have)

You can't go wrong with any product from Stirling though. I'm am avid watcher of "Nick Shaves" on YouTube and he loves the stuff.