What's new

Prayers needed for my son...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Justin. Your baby and your family will be in my prayers until you give us the news that he is better. Did you say that he is breastfeeding? My wife is a pediatric nurse and she said if baby is feeding on his own that is a very good sign.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dear BOTL:

My beautiful wife gave birth to our third child, a handsome 8 pound 11 oz boy on 8/11. Few days later we were back home and thoroughly enjoying our time together as a family.

On Wednesday morning my wife starts saying how the baby seems tired. He stopped feeding shortly after that and was just not acting like himself (up until that point he had been our easiest baby in terms of feeding, disposition). Few hours pass, no change. He then starts to feel hot, but doesn't seem to have a fever.

My wife, God bless her, is insistent that something is wrong. Mind you we had just been to the pediatrician the day before and he appeared perfectly healthy. So she calls the doctors office and after dealing with several nurses who thought she was just an overly anxious parent, the doc got on the phone and agreed to see him right away just to make sure he was ok.

Upon examining my son the doc agrees he's concerned too and says he'd like us to consider going to the hospital to have some tests done. Before leaving he checks my sons temp again and he now has a fever....

Several hours later the ER docs sit down with my wife and I and explain that my son has bacterial meningitis and will have to stay in the hospital for several weeks to receive a slew of antibiotics.

It's been almost a week since then. My son has been further diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bacterial meningitis. As there's only ever been a handful of cases in infants, they're not sure about a lot of things (how he got it, if it is contagious, etc). However, the doctors / nurses we've met all seem confident that at the end of this roller coaster, my son will hopefully be completely cured and healthy.

Tonight has been especially difficult as they're running out of sites to stick IV's in my son and he had to be transported to another hospital in Philly to receive a PICC line (apparently it's an IV that is snaked through his body to be more secure and efficient with less chance of infection). He is going to have to go under general anesthesia tomorrow morning to have the line put in. We're told that if this procedure goes well he should be ok from here on out. On a positive note, his fevers have finally stopped (knock on wood) and he seems to be responding to the meds....watching your newborn deal with fevers of 103 and 104 degrees is not fun to say the least.

Any how, sorry for the long rant. I'm just stressed out and trying to juggle too many things at once I guess. My wife has been with him the whole time because he's breastfed -not to mention an army couldn't move her from his side! In the meantime I'm taking care of my 5 and 3 year old at night and at the hospital with my wife and son during the day.

If anyone who reads this wouldn't mind saying a prayer of sending some positive vibes our way, my family and I would greatly appreciate it. I can't stop thinking of how bad this could've been had my wife not been so insistent that something was wrong. It was very subtle and I can see how a lot of kids end up getting very sick, or worse, from this horrible infection. Again thanks for letting me vent, this was definitely needed.

Sincerely,
Justin
Of course prayers will be sent on your behalf. .for your wife and child as our capacity to try ànd understand why these things happen tend to greatly confuse us. In time things will make sense as we grow in wisdom and understanding but the wound is all too fresh now. What matters is he's being taken care of. ..when his health is returned to him remember your prayers on his behalf. ..dedicate your son. ..your wife and yourself to the one who answers prayer. ..not many get a personal experience to see a real miracle in it's entirety. ..how else would you take notice unless you were a witness to the whole thing? We barely believe anything unless it's through hardship in this life...I know this is confusing but your faith will increase because of this.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Here's hoping for the best, brother.

Also, here's hoping that you get to create some bonding time with your 3 and 5 year olds while you're taking care of them. I'm sure that's easier said than done with all the little one is going through, but any chance you get to enjoy the time with them, will probably go a long way to helping them get through difficult times.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
My prayers with you and your family - had a some scary moments with my daughter when she was very young, so know what you are going through. Never had to go the PICC route, but they did have to put an IV in her head. It was BY FAR the most scariest moment of my life. Stay strong and just know you have a ton of prayers coming from the BOTL family.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Justin from one new father to another all my prayers and best wishes and everything else positive is going to your son. I know you guys will pull through it. May god bless you brother and if you need to chat or just rant feeling free to PM me anytime.
JM