What's new

Premium Cigar Cutters: worth it?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will add that I'm a big fan of the XIKAR MTX cigar scissors/multi-tool, as are many of my halfwheel colleagues. I've also been impressed by the Lotus Jaws serrated cutter. Is it worth it? That's totally up to you. For me? Absolutely, though I doubt that I would ever spend more than $100 on a cutter, and rarely more than $50.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
They have a warranty but their quality has gone downhill. Especially in lighters, but in cutters also.
Probably so. Mine is about 15 years old. Sent it in twice during that time and still working great. Seems as though everything made these days is designed to be throw away.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a Xikar V notch cutter. It's a quality piece of kit. Not much of a cigar smoker anymore, so it sits unused mostly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I use Palío & Xikar. Both are terrific so the answer is yes. Try scoring the head before the cut if you're getting cracks in the wrapper at the head. Be careful though.

Sent from my iPhone using duct tape and tinfoil

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It's really just opening up the cap to allow air to be drawn thru the cigar. The job doesn't require a $50 tool to achieve. Sharp pocket knife, sharpened .223 casing, sharp fingernail, gold tooth. Lots of ways to open a tobacco leaf.
Whatever floats your boat, but don't feel you have to spend a chunk of money to cut a cigar.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use Palío & Xikar. Both are terrific so the answer is yes. Try scoring the head before the cut if you're getting cracks in the wrapper at the head. Be careful though.

What does "scoring the head" mean? Wetting it? I'm scared to google it ;)

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
What does "scoring the head" mean? Wetting it? I'm scared to google it ;)
You can only do it with very sharp cutters. Just square up your cutter on the cap, sink the blades into it, and gently turn the cigar to separate the cap from the rest of the leaf. Then just complete the cut. That's where the quality cutters come in. Poorly constructed/dull cutters can mash the head, and crack the wrapper. Good cutters will glide right though.