What's new

Progress update

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just wanted to post an update on how the rolling is going. I am finally getting to the point where the draw is fairly consistent (still a bit loose, but WAY better than the unimpeded straw-draw I was getting before).
I have been using newspaper to press after binding since my homemade mold sucks.
My capping is still really lacking (an understatement) but my wrapping is snugging up some, though I really have no idea how the hell you guys get your veins to lay down so flat. I've been using Habano Cuban Seed Wrapper, Equador Maduro Wrapper, and Dominican Binder as wrappers (all from WLT). You can see all three in the pics below.
I'm hoping my capping can improve with consistent practice. Do note that I was in a rush to clear the dinner table when I rolled the gars that are pigtailed. Any tips on the raised veins? Thanks fellas. Criticism welcome.

If nothing else, I'm sure these pics will make some of you other new rollers feel better about your abilities, haha.
20180224_121338.jpg 20180224_133307.jpg 20180224_133219.jpg 20180224_134022.jpg
20180224_133401.jpg

SECOND BATCH, (MORE RUSHED):
20180306_192409.jpg 20180306_192430.jpg
20180306_192345.jpg
20180306_192356.jpg
20180224_140142.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey, just wanted to post an update on how the rolling is going. I am finally getting to the point where the draw is fairly consistent (still a bit loose, but WAY better than the unimpeded straw-draw I was getting before).
I have been using newspaper to press after binding since my homemade mold sucks.
My capping is still really lacking (an understatement) but my wrapping is snugging up some, though I really have no idea how the hell you guys get your veins to lay down so flat. I've been using Habano Cuban Seed Wrapper, Equador Maduro Wrapper, and Dominican Binder as wrappers (all from WLT). You can see all three in the pics below.
I'm hoping my capping can improve with consistent practice. Do note that I was in a rush to clear the dinner table when I rolled the gars that are pigtailed. Any tips on the raised veins? Thanks fellas. Criticism welcome.
Excellent progress. Make sure you are getting your leaf to proper case. Don't rush that process, start hydrating your wrapper the day before you plan to wrap. When properly hydrated, you can stretch the bujeezus out of it which will flatten the veins. Another thing that will help to straighten the veins is to cut the wrapper strips you are using so they are only about 2.5"-3" wide so they are easier to make lay flat.

For your caps, you want the circle smaller than the diameter of the cigar, as you place it on the head you will stretch it as you apply it to the cigar to fit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent progress. Make sure you are getting your leaf to proper case. Don't rush that process, start hydrating your wrapper the day before you plan to wrap. When properly hydrated, you can stretch the bujeezus out of it which will flatten the veins. Another thing that will help to straighten the veins is to cut the wrapper strips you are using so they are only about 2.5"-3" wide so they are easier to make lay flat.

For your caps, you want the circle smaller than the diameter of the cigar, as you place it on the head you will stretch it as you apply it to the cigar to fit.
VERY EXCITED to try this out! Thanks for the tip on both the early casing and the cap!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 110038
Your sticks are looking fine for where you are at, look at the progress I made over 6 months. Imagine where you will be if you keep it up more than I have!
Daaamn. Looking good! I need to buy some more leaf (dammit, guys).

Do any of you guys that have been doing this for years have some shots of your early work compared to your latest roll?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

If nothing else, I'm sure these pics will make some of you other new rollers feel better about your abilities, haha.
View attachment 110019 View attachment 110021 View attachment 110024 View attachment 110025
View attachment 110018

SECOND BATCH, (MORE RUSHED):
View attachment 110026 View attachment 110027
View attachment 110020
View attachment 110022
View attachment 110023
How long do they stay wrapped in newspaper? If they sit overnight, you might be pleased with the veins being pushed into the bunch for the binder. You can also re-wrap paper after putting the wrapper leaf on...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest and most effective way to reduce veins is purchase wrapper that has smaller veins. Simple as that. Like wrapping with silk vs. canvas.

I also use paper (no longer use a mold) however, I stopped using newspaper and got some printer paper in a heavier weight and cut strips out of that. It's got a smoother surface and has better ability to hold the shape and suppress the veins. It takes a little getting used to. It's a little tricker to get the proper pressure but I like it better. It's more substantial than newspaper. Been using the same strips of paper for several years and they are holding up well. I use hair clips to clamp on the cigar to hold the paper in place instead of twisting the ends. This way the same paper can be used over and over.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they stay wrapped in newspaper? If they sit overnight, you might be pleased with the veins being pushed into the bunch for the binder. You can also re-wrap paper after putting the wrapper leaf on...
Will definitely try this. I've been keeping them wrapped in newspaper for about an hour, or until I've rolled the 6th stick. Then I immediately start applying the final wrapper. So I can see how they could benefit from some additional time in the paper.
Good thought on re-wrapping with newspaper after applying final wrapper. I'm game to try.

The easiest and most effective way to reduce veins is purchase wrapper that has smaller veins. Simple as that. Like wrapping with silk vs. canvas.

I also use paper (no longer use a mold) however, I stopped using newspaper and got some printer paper in a heavier weight and cut strips out of that. It's got a smoother surface and has better ability to hold the shape and suppress the veins. It takes a little getting used to. It's a little tricker to get the proper pressure but I like it better. It's more substantial than newspaper. Been using the same strips of paper for several years and they are holding up well. I use hair clips to clamp on the cigar to hold the paper in place instead of twisting the ends. This way the same paper can be used over and over.
Makes sense. I'm still playing around with different wrappers. Just ordered some Besuki Wrapper and some Corojo Oscuro Wrapper, so I'll discover how the veins are on those. Still haven't wrapped with Connecticut leaf and I assume that would be even finer.
Cool idea with the printer paper/hair clip combo. One thing I like about twisting the ends, though, is that it helps to curve the head of the cigar before wrapping and capping. Do you find this to be an issue when using the hair clip technique?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I read the page. Was there something in particular you were pointing out or just directing me to the thread in general?
Look at @BrewinHooligan's progress... we all started somewhere! Your hands need to touch a couple hundred bunches and several "aha!" Moments, but you'll get there too!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Daaamn. Looking good! I need to buy some more leaf (dammit, guys).

Do any of you guys that have been doing this for years have some shots of your early work compared to your latest roll?
I do--recently found shots of my very first bunch and rolls on an old cloud storage site I haven't used for years. They look pretty much the same as what I do today. I prepped hardcore for my first kit, watching every video available at the time over and over and over and doing hundreds of roll visualizations. I also deconstructed a dozen pro cigars and then reconstructed them in my mind, all before rolling my first stick, drew out diagrams and did measurements. I cut caps and wrappers out of newspapers and based on templates I'd made from deconstructions and freeze-framing rolling videos, etc. and practiced that way. Anyway, here are the pix of my first kit, first bunches, first-ever cigar:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely try this. I've been keeping them wrapped in newspaper for about an hour, or until I've rolled the 6th stick. Then I immediately start applying the final wrapper. So I can see how they could benefit from some additional time in the paper.
Good thought on re-wrapping with newspaper after applying final wrapper. I'm game to try.

Makes sense. I'm still playing around with different wrappers. Just ordered some Besuki Wrapper and some Corojo Oscuro Wrapper, so I'll discover how the veins are on those. Still haven't wrapped with Connecticut leaf and I assume that would be even finer.
Cool idea with the printer paper/hair clip combo. One thing I like about twisting the ends, though, is that it helps to curve the head of the cigar before wrapping and capping. Do you find this to be an issue when using the hair clip technique?
Not a problem. It comes out of the paper rolled in a straight cylinder. No curve or shape to the head. Then, I take my sharp pair of scissors and trim the edges and shape the head myself. I have more control of the shape by doing it this way. Comes out more uniform and every bit as good as using a mold.

I'll post some photos later.

BTW... Arapiraca, Mata fina, San Andres and Nicaraguan wrapper are all good choices for thin beautiful wrapper with small veins. The light Ct shade wrapper is also like silk but it is expensive and I don't really care for the flavor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at @BrewinHooligan's progress... we all started somewhere! Your hands need to touch a couple hundred bunches and several "aha!" Moments, but you'll get there too!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Very cool, thanks for the encouragement

I do--recently found shots of my very first bunch and rolls on an old cloud storage site I haven't used for years. They look pretty much the same as what I do today. I prepped hardcore for my first kit, watching every video available at the time over and over and over and doing hundreds of roll visualizations. I also deconstructed a dozen pro cigars and then reconstructed them in my mind, all before rolling my first stick, drew out diagrams and did measurements. I cut caps and wrappers out of newspapers and based on templates I'd made from deconstructions and freeze-framing rolling videos, etc. and practiced that way. Anyway, here are the pix of my first kit, first bunches, first-ever cigar:
LMAO. Are you kidding me? That first stick looks so good it's comical (I have to laugh so I don't cry). What possessed you to have that kind of ravenous prep leading up to using actual leaves? Or are you just pulling my chain?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

LMAO. Are you kidding me? That first stick looks so good it's comical (I have to laugh so I don't cry). What possessed you to have that kind of ravenous prep leading up to using actual leaves? Or are you just pulling my chain?
Blake is a unique case. He is one of the few born with a rare natural ability to churn out gorgeous sticks from the beginning. He makes us all want to cry at one point or another

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

No, I ain't pulling your chain. It's just how I do things.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well if you want your picture to look good, you have to have good subjects. Hone slyly I recent traded a couple of BOTL member for some of their homemade sticks. Had a couple that because the blend rocked, made the appearence, not important.

Sometime an ugly ducking, turn into a beautiful swan. Old story I read.:cigar:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem. It comes out of the paper rolled in a straight cylinder. No curve or shape to the head. Then, I take my sharp pair of scissors and trim the edges and shape the head myself. I have more control of the shape by doing it this way. Comes out more uniform and every bit as good as using a mold.

I'll post some photos later.

BTW... Arapiraca, Mata fina, San Andres and Nicaraguan wrapper are all good choices for thin beautiful wrapper with small veins. The light Ct shade wrapper is also like silk but it is expensive and I don't really care for the flavor.
Brilliant! I'm always open to trying something new, especially when it clicks. And that really clicks. I'll let you know how it goes.