What's new

Puff Migrants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
From my time here at BOTL I don't think any of you brothers will take offense, as none is intended. Mods, if there's anything wrong with this thread, please let me know & feel free to delete it!
Once again, Puff has experienced some "technical difficulties"! As a result many "Puffers" have sought refuge here at BOTL.org to continue to indulge in this great hobby of ours.
When I got serious about this hobby 1 1/2 years ago, I joined a # of cigar forums. I spent most of my time on Puff and occasionally checked in on the others. And as you other "migrants" are experiencing, Puff just goes down for no apparent rhyme or reason, without any sort of warning; leaving you frustrated. So you wind up spending more time on or finding another forum, like BOTL. And find more great BOTL's, just like over at Puff.
Now I understand the desire to call one place "home" and get to know & enjoy your neighbors, BOTL's. But you shouldn't lose sight/touch of the relationships that you made at Puff. I mean after all, that's what made you spend your time there in the first place.
I decided to write this thread because I've seen quite a few use the term "ex-Puffer". I understand your frustration with the way things are handled there, but don't throw away the relationships that you've cultivated! You can have the best of both worlds, I & many Puff members have been. And the great BOTL's here at BOTL.org won't hold it against you!

Disclaimer:
I have NO affiliation with Puff other than being a forum member.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Nice post!

Any forum where people can share a common interest in a hobby is a great thing. The relationships formed within are an awesome byproduct.

BOTL is heavy on the camaraderie and relationships....Sharing, bombing, and even very heartfelt posts on personal issues and rough patches of road that we all go through. Herfs represent a great chance to put a face to the name (or avatar, lol) and there are plenty of those here as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I agree....Relationships are important to keep, and I think plenty more will be found here at BOTL.

Welcome to all who have ventured here from Puff...Hope you all enjoy your stay with us!

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I decided to write this thread because I've seen quite a few use the term "ex-Puffer". I understand your frustration with the way things are handled there, but don't throw away the relationships that you've cultivated! You can have the best of both worlds, I & many Puff members have been. And the great BOTL's here at BOTL.org won't hold it against you!
As a non-puffer seeing the huge amount of current migration, I see it the other way. I don't like to be seen like the "filler" used while any other site is down, only to have people move away afterward.

Its not the first time that other site go down. some members "joined last time it was down" and "never really got to post"...

BOTL is THE place to talk cigar. people are awesome and the site is reliable, even during maintenance.

I'd hate to see most people move out once their little frustration is done, simply because here was just "a quick fix" - but, to each their own. We know who's loosing in the process...

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
As a non-puffer seeing the huge amount of current migration, I see it the other way. I don't like to be seen like the "filler" used while any other site is down, only to have people move away afterward.

Its not the first time that other site go down. some members "joined last time it was down" and "never really got to post"...

BOTL is THE place to talk cigar. people are awesome and the site is reliable, even during maintenance.

I'd hate to see most people move out once their little frustration is done, simply because here was just "a quick fix" - but, to each their own. We know who's loosing in the process...
Im a refugee but I plan on staying/posting here even when/if puff comes back on. I will still rekindle with my buddys on puff if it comes back online but I really like the lay out here and the members here have given us all a warm friendly welcome

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't like to be seen like the "filler" used while any other site is down, only to have people move away afterward.

Not my meaning at all!!
As I said, we can enjoy the best of both worlds. I visit/participate on BOTH!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess what I am trying to say is that I agree....Relationships are important to keep, and I think plenty more will be found here at BOTL.

Welcome to all who have ventured here from Puff...Hope you all enjoy your stay with us!
My point exactly!
I hope to get to a herf soon! And even more important, build some new & lasting relationships on this journey.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am one of the migrants of which you speak. Found this place when I couldn't get my cigar discussion fix for the day. But I have both forums on my Feedly list and will continue to enjoy all, if they come back. Great place ya got here btw...

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I came here last time puff sent down, and stayed. I did continue checking in at puff but a lot less often....

Starting to wonder if they're down for good this time - looks like Google isn't even indexing them which is weird.

Last edited:

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey, folks. I used this site and Puff about a year ago to help myself figure out the proper method for seasoning a humidor. Both places were equally helpful. I couldn't find the extra time to begin posting and meeting people in either forum. Just recently I found some time, took up the hobby of photographing smokes. I really like posting pictures. It's just cool to be smoking and then check what others are currently smoking as well. I especially like the pictures of Habanos!!! I remember when using each site together to comb through posts, I preferred the interface here at BOTL. It just seems a lot easier on the eyes. Look forward to posting here again.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I joined here when I got into a couple "scuffles" over on the other site, I met a few guys here that I have herfed with *cough*Brad*cough*cough* I do bounce around between 4 cigar forums in total. I like it here but don't post a ton, I do a lot of reading. I won't ever quit ___.com because I do have a few homies over there too. As long as we don't get an influx of BigLuke Jr's over here. (puffer reference) lol. Thanks for the hospitality BOTL.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm a dual-boarder as well. I haven't been active over here over the last few months because it was too much to get involved in both forums, and I was trying to get involved in trading at Puff, which seemed to have more opportunities for new guys than BOTL (sorry, BOTL). Puff has been down for almost a full five days, and I'm not sure if it will be coming back. I enjoyed Puff, because it seemed like there were usually more active threads on topics and cigars I was interested in. The interface over here is far better, and I'm looking forward to getting more involved over here.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm a dual-boarder as well. I haven't been active over here over the last few months because it was too much to get involved in both forums, and I was trying to get involved in trading at Puff, which seemed to have more opportunities for new guys than BOTL (sorry, BOTL). Puff has been down for almost a full five days, and I'm not sure if it will be coming back. I enjoyed Puff, because it seemed like there were usually more active threads on topics and cigars I was interested in. The interface over here is far better, and I'm looking forward to getting more involved over here.
Trading opportunities abound here. You just need to get in on some of the newbie trades to get some positive TR. There are always box passes, lotteries, blind trades, and of course a ridiculous amount of generosity in the bombing subforums. We do go big here, and generally the premise is, in my experience, quality over quantity. I think that same adage is a testament to why this board has lasted now over 10 years with a relatively solid membership... But what do I know. I've only been here for a couple years. I know I don't really bother with other cigar forums save for one that is more directly geared towards ISOMs. Even then I'm mostly lurking. As for the restrictions for new members, I understand the frustration as I felt it myself when I first joined. Truth is we've all been burned before by others coming here and taking advantage of our generosity. It's unfortunate, but that's life. If you want to play you just have to hang in long enough for us all to know you aren't a scumbag... :)

The game changer for me was my first local Herf. If you can make it to one, you will understand. I know they happen on other sites as well, but I've never walked into a group knowing absolutely no one only to look back and call them all my friends shortly afterwards (not forum buddies, but people who know where I live and see or talk to me directly on a regular basis).

Again, as others have said, welcome and I hope you decide to hang around a bit to see things really open up.

Status
Not open for further replies.