What's new

Purging

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
a cigar of course. Saw JeffsJeep's question. So, I always purge with a lighter when I can and I probably purge 3-5 times per cigar. I purge during the cigar even if it hasn't gone out because I think it can bring the tates back if the cigar has gotten too hot, and even if it hasn't.

THoughts?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I only purge the stale smoke in the cigar if it has gone out. A couple times I have had a cigar turn south and a good purge, without flame, fixed it...but this has been rare.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I only purge if I feel the cigar is burning to hot

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Like some others have said, I generally only purge if the cigar is getting hot or the flavor is going south. I also do it if I need to set it down for a few minutes so stale smoke isn't just sitting in the cigar. I don't use a lighter while purging anymore since I personally don't think it adds any benefit. My reasoning is that whatever gasses burning in the flame are already out of the cigar anyway so firing it up at that point is useless except being kinda cool to see sometimes.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
For those who haven't/don't purge regularly I urge you to give it a try. Pick a point halfway through the cigar. Doesn't matter how it's burning/smoking, just go ahead and purge. I think you'll be surprised at the flavors that come blasting through.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Purge when it seems the flavor going south -- also seems to help if there are burn problems.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I must have misunderstood the concept of purging. I thought it was just blowing through the cigar everyonce and a while. :scratchhe

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
wasch_24 said:
That's what it is. Some folks put a lighter to the foot while doing it too.
I'll have to try it with a lighter, never thought of that.

Do you just blow through the cigar once, or kinda blow-draw, blow-draw (i know...twob)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I typically end up purging cigars with tight draws or if I am smoking too fast. They tend to get kind of a tar like taste.

I like to hold the lighter to the foot when I purge, only long enough to get a flame started then it will stay ignited on its own until the cigar is blown out. I have also found it important to tap the end off the ash after a purge.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ashy said:
I'll have to try it with a lighter, never thought of that.

Do you just blow through the cigar once, or kinda blow-draw, blow-draw (i know...twob)
The trick I do, is to continuously blow into the cigar while pulling air in through my nose at the same time, that way I don't have to relight the end once the flame is going. Watch out if yo have a beard or mustache, this is a good way to lose one.

vewyphishy

Smoking fish
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have no idea what you guys are talking about... what type of lighter are you holding at the foot? torch or flame?

What does purging actually do to the cigar? I know the end result that it cools the smoke (how?) and that the taste can change (again... how?)

Curious to know.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think the idea is that tars build up in the cigar as you smoke it or if you let the cigar go out upon relighting there will be a stale or harsh taste. Purging burns off those tars or clears out the stale smoke left in the cigar and restores the taste. Doesn't matter what type of lighter you use and some folks don't light the flame at all, I just like the flame thrower effect.

That is how I have always read into it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum I always thought that purging was just for getting the stale smoke out of your cigar when it has gone out. I think I'll have to try purging the next time I smoke one of my JR Ultimate Turros. They seem to go south at the mid point, I'm not sure if it is the nicotine reaking havock on me or if it could just use a good purge (now that I know purging can help flavor) and the pyrotchnics sounds like it would be cool.

Oh yeah by the way for those of you that know I was gone I am now back till summer again. It's good to be back.