What's new

Q: Last 2 Cigars That Surprised You - Good and Bad

ghe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad experience: La Dueña. It's not a bad cigar, it's just not at all appealing to me. I was disappointed because I had high hopes for it based on those involved. But I found it similar to La Casita Criolla. Too much Connecticut broadleaf for me.

Good: El Tiante Habano Rosado. I'd smoked the original El Tiante cigars and they were not good. So I wasn't sure what this new blend would be like. It was excellent. Blew me away, just like Luis Tiant did so many batters.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Good: FFP...I thought this smoke would have issues like the flying pig but no issues what so ever and I fricking love this cigar even though I think there a little pricey.

Bad: Otega D...Wasn't a fan at all.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
good- quintero londres nov 09
after a 2 month rest, smoked awfully nice for 2.25

bad - tat pcr
shock and dismay, bad ashy taste throughout, MU'd it 15mins later.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I've had more recent good and bad, but the most recent surprises were both DE, oddly enough.

Good: Dirty Rat, I was expecting a decent stick, but it was fantastic!
Bad: BOTL 2012, just didn't do it for me at all.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad: Liga Privada T52 Toro - It had a good draw after I cut it and it put out plenty of smoke (externally) but I couldn't get much smoke on the draw. I also had trouble keeping it lit which led me to double draw and take less time between puffs (in an attempt to keep it lit). Finally I didn't get the expected Nica flavor profile, probably because I smoked it too fast . My guess is that it was probably just over-humidified. I picked it up on a recent purchase and probably should have rested it longer. No worries Steve, I'll be smoking more!

As an aside, I was also not happy with the way the band came off. I wanted to save it for a Humi that I am decorating but because the paper is so thin and has no lamination it did not come apart cleanly when I peeled it off. :frownno:
I can fix this experience - or at least provide a replay... pls email me - sake@drewestate.com

BR,

STS

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Good: Diamond Crown Maximus Robusto - Extremely suprised to the point where I bought a box.

Bad: Tatuaje Casita Criolla - Heard good things, bought a fiver... very disapointed. I also had high expectations for the T52 pigs...I've had about 5 of them but I haven't been able to get one to burn correctly and just about everyone had wrapper issues (unraveling). I wanted to like them but I must say that smoking them was frustrating. (Love the T52 blend though)

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Bad: Davidoff White Edition 2012 Robusto Gordo- Had it after a primo steak dinner. It started fine (although the flavors weren't really my preference), but after I'd set it down for about 10 min... it went out and after relight it tasted like the ashtray might. I've never had such a poor re-light experience.

Good: Oliva V Melanio, I half-expected it to be an overpriced Oliva. After smoking it, I was left feeling I'd had something worth sitting down with.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good - Partigas 1845 robusto - came as a freebie with a FSS order, was a very good smoke & something I would not ordinarily purchase. Prolly pick up a fiver soon.

Bad - Carlos Torano 50 year robusto - every one in the fiver I purchased was so pluged they were unsmokeable. I let them sit for months at 65/65 but still BAD.

CbusDave

CRA Member #198179
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Good: Four Kicks from Crowned Heads, was not expecting a lot, but really ended up enjoying this stick.
Not so good: Undercrown. Draw was on the tight side and overall I found it to be a bit bland throughout. Overall, I thought that this stick just missed the mark for me and didn't give the "Wow" factor I get from many of the other Liga products.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Bad: Liga Privada T52 Toro - It had a good draw after I cut it and it put out plenty of smoke (externally) but I couldn't get much smoke on the draw. I also had trouble keeping it lit which led me to double draw and take less time between puffs (in an attempt to keep it lit). Finally I didn't get the expected Nica flavor profile, probably because I smoked it too fast . My guess is that it was probably just over-humidified. I picked it up on a recent purchase and probably should have rested it longer. No worries Steve, I'll be smoking more!

As an aside, I was also not happy with the way the band came off. I wanted to save it for a Humi that I am decorating but because the paper is so thin and has no lamination it did not come apart cleanly when I peeled it off. :frownno:

I can fix this experience - or at least provide a replay... pls email me - sake@drewestate.com

BR,

STS
Email sent....Thanks for being such a class act Steve!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good: LP L40. I may be in the minority here, but that may just be my favorite Liga release. I was expecting a good cigar but that was just an experience. It was just so rich an balanced.

Honorable Mention: LFD L250 Oscuro. Wow what an amazing smoke. I was not expecting that at all.

Bad: Cuenca y Blanco. I wanted to like it. I really really did, but it just fell short for me. It was a little soapy for my liking. I want to sit on some for a year and try them later.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good: DP JJ Selectos grabbed one from a buddies Humi at about 1/2 way through had to pocket the band for a repeat purchase

Bad: Quesada Octoberfest (Last year) expectations are everything maybe mine were a bit high but this smoke missed everywhere

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Good: EP Carrillo Stella (corona size) -Most who've tried it don't agree with me, and I'm normally a fan of fuller bodied smokes. I found it very complex and flavorful for a mild - medium bodied cigar.

Bad: La Sirena Mermaid Prince (Holt's exclusive, robusto size) - I love the regular La Sirena, so I grabbed a bundle of these as soon as they were released. Apparently the different wrapper made this unsmokable, IMHO. I would have just cut my losses if it was just a 5er, but I didn't want to get stuck with 19 bad sticks. Holt's was true to their 100% satisfaction guarantee and gave me a full refund for the return.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good- Cain Daytona. A cigar that smoked like a much more expensive stick

Bad- Alec Bradley Prensado- I would have thrown this out if I hadn't paid pretty much retail for it. Not my cup of tea, coffee, or soda. I also was not a fan of the Black Market. It might be that I'm not an Alec Bradley guy.

eddieortega

Eddie Ortega /EOBrands
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good: Eddie Ortega Serie D #8 Maduro - really enjoyed this stick, I expected it to be good, but for me it was exceptional. Smoke it last month during the Chattanooga Tweet-up, it was rich, smooth, creamy with great balance, yet it had enough body to keep my attention. Eddie has done a great job on these imo.

Bad: I can't comment publicly on the bad because imo it would be rude for me to do so, but most of you are at liberty to do so as consumers.

BR,

Steve Saka
CEO, DE
Glad you enjoyed it Steve. Need to make sure and time my next trip to Nicaragua when you're there.....that way I can hit you up for some more Ligas. :)

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Good: Monte #4 last night. I have heard such mixed reviews of this cigar, especially since it's produced in staggeringly large numbers. I got a good box, I guess, and found the first stick from the box complex and fascinating. Lots of great flavors.

Bad: Davidoff Colorado Claro. Kind of unfair, because I was positively surprised by the first half, much more interesting than most Davidoffs. But it turned really bitter at the end, something I've never experienced from a white label.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good: Four Kicks Seleccion 5 - Great medium-bodied stick, full-flavor. Not incredibly complex, but enough to keep it interesting. Box-worthy.
Honorable mention: Tatuaje Mini-Mum - the only Li'l Monster I really liked. Can't wait for the full-sized Mummy next month.

Bad: Cuenca y Blanco lonsdale - Really wanted to like this stick. Found it to taste soapy, and I smoked multiple sticks. Disappointed, as I had the most interest in this cigar after IPCPR.