What's new

Q: Last 2 Cigars That Surprised You - Good and Bad

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Good: Quesada Jalapa - Smooth was the name of the game for this smoke. Lots of great flavor and not harsh in the least. This is the way I envision the great Cubans to taste, and indeed puts many many CC's to shame. My current smoke of the year.

Bad: Fuente Don Carlos Lancero, probably the worst smoke I have ever had. Bland, boring, and just downright terrible. I actually struggled to get through it. Very disappointing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good: Tatuaje Havana 6 Noble... Wasn't expecting much. I find myself falling for the limited edition hype, so I decided to try a few classics. Picked up a couple of fivers for under $20 each. Tried a few already, and all are consistent. Not the most intense experience, but I really enjoyed the flavors. At under $4 a stick, these are a no brainer.

Bad: Fuente Solaris. Bought a box a few months ago and smoked a couple ROTT, not an amazing cigar, but a solid smoke. Revisited last week, and it was so plugged, I had to toss it. Bummer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good: Diesel dX unlimited Belicoso, was a budget stick, thought it would be a very simple, unevolving smoke, but it was overflowing with flavour and was immediatley getting my hands on other diesels to try

Bad: LP Dirty Rat, it was ok, i liked smoking it, but i was expecting it to absolutely blow me away, which it didnt. probs wouldnt go buying more. other disappointment was a GH #5, i got two of these, the first was awesome, the second one had this slight weird almost sour milk taste, which got stronger and stronger. MU!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Good: AJ Fernandez Fresh Rolled maduro - wow, was this a great stick for two bucks! Full of great flavor, really delicious.

Bad: Had a Monte 2 that was good, but not any where near the bouquet of flavors I'm used to. I guess that's what they mean by "inconsistent"...

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Good: JL No 2. Wasn't expecting anything from this. Turned out that I now want a box.
Bad: BOTL '12. Absolute WOFTAM.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Good: LP L40. I may be in the minority here, but that may just be my favorite Liga release. I was expecting a good cigar but that was just an experience. It was just so rich an balanced.

Honorable Mention: LFD L250 Oscuro. Wow what an amazing smoke. I was not expecting that at all.

Bad: Cuenca y Blanco. I wanted to like it. I really really did, but it just fell short for me. It was a little soapy for my liking. I want to sit on some for a year and try them later.
YOUR NOT ALONE! I started buying LP40's by the box I like them so much

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased two famous smoke exclusives-
Good- Oliva vindicator robusto- full strength but smooth...not for beginners
Bad-Gurkha templar reception- starts off rough then comes through with a bland, mild, every other gurkha flavour

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The bad: Ashton cabinet. Just horribly flat. Tasted like burnt cardboard.

The good: epernay let tereau. Not that I thought it would be bad. It was just way more incredible than I ever imagined. The best I've had all summer.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
good: melanio! i think it was my cheap scottish ancestry, that i was bracing myself to overpay for a serie V. just came out to me as beautiful, well developed, and different.

bad: te amo revolution. burned poorly, smelled off, and tasted of lifeless soil, old sun baked cardboard, and forgotten diapers. NOT giving that one a second chance, despite my usual rules!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The good: EPC Inch, so big, but oh so damn tasty
The bad: Room 101, got rather dry and bitter on me, not my bag of bones

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good - My Father Le Bijou 1922, rested 19 months - smooth, slightly sweet, chocolate, licorice, additional layers of flavor that I can't exactly identify but made for a rich and complex smoke

bad - Opus X robusto, rested 26 months - flavors very muted, much less flavor than the few Opus Xs I'd smoked previously.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad: Liga Privada T52 Toro - It had a good draw after I cut it and it put out plenty of smoke (externally) but I couldn't get much smoke on the draw. I also had trouble keeping it lit which led me to double draw and take less time between puffs (in an attempt to keep it lit). Finally I didn't get the expected Nica flavor profile, probably because I smoked it too fast . My guess is that it was probably just over-humidified. I picked it up on a recent purchase and probably should have rested it longer. No worries Steve, I'll be smoking more!

As an aside, I was also not happy with the way the band came off. I wanted to save it for a Humi that I am decorating but because the paper is so thin and has no lamination it did not come apart cleanly when I peeled it off. :frownno:

I can fix this experience - or at least provide a replay... pls email me - sake@drewestate.com

BR,

STS
Email sent....Thanks for being such a class act Steve!
I screwed up my email addy in the post - it is saka@drewestate.com - pls rexmit - thanks!

STS