What's new

Rash of PM's from noobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
Ive had a few; this is the entire reason that I stopped posting in the "latest NC and CC purchase" thread.. people started using it as their personal thread to ask me how much I wanted for stuff I had just bought. Last time I checked the thread wasn't called "New stuff that I just got in that Im taking offers on...."

sucks, I liked that thread.
Bingo, this why I don't post there any more as well, it's just asking for it IMO. Sucks it has to be that way.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Ive had a few; this is the entire reason that I stopped posting in the "latest NC and CC purchase" thread.. people started using it as their personal thread to ask me how much I wanted for stuff I had just bought. Last time I checked the thread wasn't called "New stuff that I just got in that Im taking offers on...."

Bingo, this why I don't post there any more as well, it's just asking for it IMO. Sucks it has to be that way.
Yup, whats even shi**ier is that the "todays smoke" threads are drawing the same attention....

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0

I got a couple PM's as well. I personally don't mind as much if the person is asking about a specific vendor and if they can be trusted. If a stranger comes to me asking blindly for a source, then no way in hell.

Regarding Gavin's comment, that is one of the reasons I don't participate in those recent acquisition threads. I've had way too many PM's asking me for my sources, wanting some etc. Last year I was pretty excited about an older cab that I purchased so I posted about it. That was the last time I will do that... :(

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Weird. I post in the acquisitions threads the most and have received only about 5 or so PMs in the last two years. People must be afraid of me... That and I'll report your ass so don't start now :)

Rating - 100%
137   0   0

I got a couple PM's as well. I personally don't mind as much if the person is asking about a specific vendor and if they can be trusted. If a stranger comes to me asking blindly for a source, then no way in hell.

Regarding Gavin's comment, that is one of the reasons I don't participate in those recent acquisition threads. I've had way too many PM's asking me for my sources, wanting some etc. Last year I was pretty excited about an older cab that I purchased so I posted about it. That was the last time I will do that... :(
Totally agree on this; The only reason I liked posting was because it made me take a cool pic of a box before I emptied it, and it got me excited about smoking the sticks. Idk how but it did; I enjoy looking at others purchases, not bugging them about them... not sure why that cant be a universal thing. I have asked brothers what they thought about certain sticks because of the thread, but not brothers that I haven't already communicated with/ friends with already.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Again guys, if you're getting messages like these after posting in the today's smoke or post your recent purchase threads, please do use the report function (triangle with the exclamation point in the bottom left corner - and in your PM's as well) and let us know about it. It's unfortunate that things like this are effecting our community and making our brothers reluctant to post.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

... and this is a shame. you SHOULD be able to brag a little, to share the elation of finding somehting cool with others who really understand how excited you are. try telling your wife you scored a dress box of monsters, or a 50ct cab that already has a decade on it, or whatever, and good luck getting more than an eye roll or a "that's nice, sweetie". that's what those threads are for.

i personally don't participate because i can be a gloating prick, and need to resist that urge. once again, just me.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Am I the only one who's received PM's from multiple newbies in the last week or two asking for CC vendor sources? I have of course reported them, but just wondering if I'm being targeted for some reason, maybe a post I made before somewhere, or if you all are getting them as well?

Thanks,
-Derek
I haven't gotten any. But I guess if I had to ask someone and had access to one ....I'd ask a ninja lol

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Again guys, if you're getting messages like these after posting in the today's smoke or post your recent purchase threads, please do use the report function (triangle with the exclamation point) and let us know about it. It's unfortunate that things like this are effecting our community and making our brothers reluctant to post.
Sorry, sorry I'm not trying to make this into a big thing, honestly its an after-thought just giving my 2 cents on the thread. No problems here :) I love BoTL :thumbsup:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Weird. I post in the acquisitions threads the most and have received only about 5 or so PMs in the last two years. People must be afraid of me... That and I'll report your ass so don't start now :)
Eddie,

I am truly surprised you werent targeted the most. When I look thorugh some of those threeads you seem to be the go to guy as well as the others on here who have said they have gotten a lot of PMs.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0

Totally agree on this; The only reason I liked posting was because it made me take a cool pic of a box before I emptied it, and it got me excited about smoking the sticks. Idk how but it did; I enjoy looking at others purchases, not bugging them about them... not sure why that cant be a universal thing. I have asked brothers what they thought about certain sticks because of the thread, but not brothers that I haven't already communicated with/ friends with already.
I agree with Gavin, If a fellow Brother askes about something specific or looking to expand their Buying base, I personally think you should be willing to share info, If some Noob comes and asks the same question, report him. But I think it's good to share this side of cigar buying with other respectable well established brothers. That's why we are here.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would certainly like to see more postings of what you all get, as I have limited experience and what you all buy is of some influence on what I would like to try. I can then poll a question of hey, how's that out of the box.

I'm really ok with the pms, and I must say, it was hard not to do it myself when I first joined this forum. The forbidden fruit is hard to resist, but waiting time and then having a bit of help once I had picked a site to use was immensely helpful.

Hillbilly, the main difference is you're active and involved. While you may take off in a bit, most of what had pm'd me is guys who have been here for a month or two tops and rarely post.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Okay guys I'll admit I was one of the NOOB's who asked. I was reading some old posts and saw people say "pm and I'd be willing to help". Now the people I pm'ed didn't say this but I asked anyway. In no way did I want to get on the bad side of anyone and I have no ill intentions. I'll stick around and try to be a better BOTL member and maybe be forgiven/trusted one day. Again sorry for the spam.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
While it does get a little annoying sometimes I am sure but as a new guy people get excited I think. I was the same way when I was new. Some people can verify that.. lol.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I was a noob that messaged brothers when I first got in, luckily the brothers were nice to me and told me to stick around and the world would open up. I would say from experience maybe try to encorage them nicely to be patient, just like waiting for the market place but if they are rude shut them down. And thanks to the brothers that helped me and kept me from getting in to much trouble asking questions.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
I always wondered how many of these the seasoned CC vets got on here. It must be quite the annoyance. I havent even gotten past asking for certain HTF NCs one or two CCs and I have been on here for a couple of months. I would not even dream of asking for CC sources though.

Newbs, the best advice you can get from me as I am also a faily new guy is that you want to make a name for yourself here. You want to participate in some bombs, you want to make friends and you want to contribute. As my dad always says, "you have to bring something to the table".

Build relationships and earn some trust.
I'm right there with you on this. Probably haven't been PM'd bc I'm a noob myself and I don't do CCs.

That being said, it's kinda rude to just pm asking about any hard to find sticks without doing an intro. It's pretty obvious that the ppl in this brotherhood will bend over backwards to try and make you feel welcome. Hell there is even the newb trade and non newb trades to get going on the swaps/buy and sells and to get your iTrader rating up. Just seems like some ppl are trying to take advantage of the generosity and sources of others. Just my 2 cents.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sooooo.... You guys got any good sources for Cubans you want to share??? (JUST KIDDING.)

On a serious note although I haven't asked anyone for CC sources I have asked for opinions on certain blends. So if I have offended by implying that you smoke Cubans, I apologize. Also someone should really hook Bryan (aka REV. B!!! ) up with some NC Cigars. His walk in is empty. JUST SAYIN.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
Sooooo.... You guys got any good sources for Cubans you want to share??? (JUST KIDDING.)

On a serious note although I haven't asked anyone for CC sources I have asked for opinions on certain blends. So if I have offended by implying that you smoke Cubans, I apologize. Also someone should really hook Bryan (aka REV. B!!! ) up with some NC Cigars. His walk in is empty. JUST SAYIN.
Lol you got ol tattoo revs addy?

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Lol you got ol tattoo revs addy?
Pm sent

Status
Not open for further replies.