What's new

Rash of PM's from noobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I guess I missed this whole PM thing when I was a noob.... darn! I had no idea that annoying the heck out of people would be approved of!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I am guilty of this :( . I just recently pm'd an experienced brother, asking for help pointing me in the right direction. I did not mean any harm in it, and second guessed myself a thousand times before I actually sent the pm, because I know what you guys expect from members before they take certain actions. I am not that member who posts any chance I can to "get my posts up". When I see a thread that is interesting, or stands out to my interests, I participate in the thread. I try to stay as involved as I can, without over doing the useless posts on every thread. I know what these people look like to me when I see it happen, and I will not be one of them. I know I only joined this past year, but since then I introduced myself, made my first trade, gave away cigars, made a few purchases, participated in a few threads, and donated to the site. I plan on sticking around because there is a bunch of GREAT guys on this forum, very interesting threads, and I am expanding my knowledge day by day. This post is to apologize to the member I pm'd, who still was kind enough to help, and to apologize to the rest of you guys for doing so. Still have a lot to learn about the forum. I'm sorry :(

Phil

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
While it does get a little annoying sometimes I am sure but as a new guy people get excited I think. I was the same way when I was new. Some people can verify that.. lol.
Bingo!

While I have no doubt that some of the newbies who PM right away are possibly LE/Customs who want to see if illegal stuff is happening, most of the newcomers fit into one of two categories:

1. New to the site
2. New to the site and new to cigars (like me).

I wonder how many of the people in the first group forget that they are "newbies" in this site's eyes and don't have the creds to talk to seasoned members about it?

I know that my palette is not refined enough to be able to appreciate anything special that a non NC cigar could bring to the party, so I've never asked nor wanted to put a brother into an awkward position.

But, it wouldn't surprise me, either, to learn that people were using either the site's search engine or Google for them and these posts come up.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This happens on every Cigar Forum around and will always be an issue. There should be a STICKY about this since it's a real problem with those who Admin a Cigar Site and it's a sure fire way to have prying eyes looking into the innerworkings as to how things are run. Any US cigar site should put out a policy stating that they can not nor will they support anything that has to do with breaking the law as far as CC's go and even having a sub forum on a site is tantamount to shooting up a flare that says...we talk about Cuban Cigars and even brag about how we smoke them when we know it's illegal. Do some care...probably not but I'm not about to put a Forum in the spotlight by talking about sources in the open and another thing...by answering PM's from those we don't know is leaving bread crumbs for somebody to report back that there is illegal activity going on. For those who have cultivated a relationship with Vendors....do you really want to put that info out there and possibly screw up what took your months or years to develop and throw it away on somebody you don't know...just because you think you're doing a favor? There needs to be more common sense about this subject instead of just putting our hands over our eyes and ears.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sooooo.... You guys got any good sources for Cubans you want to share??? (JUST KIDDING.)

On a serious note although I haven't asked anyone for CC sources I have asked for opinions on certain blends. So if I have offended by implying that you smoke Cubans, I apologize. Also someone should really hook Bryan (aka REV. B!!! ) up with some NC Cigars. His walk in is empty. JUST SAYIN.
This is why I've kinda kept to myself on here Ill bounce around and comment here and there but don't want to be the pain in the a&@ newbie on the forum. I'll also take that addy because we all know a empty walk in is not good at all hahaha

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sooooo.... You guys got any good sources for Cubans you want to share??? (JUST KIDDING.)

On a serious note although I haven't asked anyone for CC sources I have asked for opinions on certain blends. So if I have offended by implying that you smoke Cubans, I apologize. Also someone should really hook Bryan (aka REV. B!!! ) up with some NC Cigars. His walk in is empty. JUST SAYIN.
This is why I've kinda kept to myself on here Ill bounce around and comment here and there but don't want to be the pain in the a&@ newbie on the forum. I'll also take that addy because we all know a empty walk in is not good at all hahaha
Hahaha. rev is gonna kill me when he sees this. I'll pm you when I get home. I just deleted all my messages cause my inbox was full.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Okay guys I'll admit I was one of the NOOB's who asked. I was reading some old posts and saw people say "pm and I'd be willing to help". Now the people I pm'ed didn't say this but I asked anyway. In no way did I want to get on the bad side of anyone and I have no ill intentions. I'll stick around and try to be a better BOTL member and maybe be forgiven/trusted one day. Again sorry for the spam.
Everyone here was a noob at some point, so we all understand the enthusiasm for, and desire to obtain, that "golden ticket." Your apology seems genuine, and is appreciated. What matters now is how you conduct yourself from here on out. BOTLs are an incredibly welcoming and forgiving bunch, and are more than willing to give second chances to those who ask... and earn it.

I am guilty of this :( . I just recently pm'd an experienced brother, asking for help pointing me in the right direction. ...This post is to apologize to the member I pm'd, who still was kind enough to help, and to apologize to the rest of you guys for doing so. ...

And to add, I only asked a brother I had dealt with in the past. I did not pm a random member I did not deal with... still sorry :(
It's one thing to be here for a while, contribute, participate, then PM a guy you've become friends with, or have dealt with. It's another thing entirely to be here for five minutes, and then PM a total stranger asking for trusted sources. I doubt an apology is necessary in this case.

Newbs, the best advice you can get from me as I am also a faily new guy is that you want to make a name for yourself here. You want to participate in some bombs, you want to make friends and you want to contribute. As my dad always says, "you have to bring something to the table". Build relationships and earn some trust.
I appreciate and agree with what Eddie is saying, but I do want to point out one thing - noobs should never, ever feel pressure to participate in the bombing culture. All of us here have different budgets, and never should a noob feel that in order to "belong" that he or she should have to send bombs to anyone. There are a myriad of ways to get involved here, including simply posting replies in threads that add something of value to the conversation. Bombing is fun, bombing is wonderful, bombing is hilarious... but it's absolutely not a requirement to be considered a true BOTL, and never let anyone make you think otherwise.

EDIT: I do realize Eddie was simply listing ways to be involved, not requirements. I just wanted to make sure noobs understood the difference.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
While it does get a little annoying sometimes I am sure but as a new guy people get excited I think. I was the same way when I was new. Some people can verify that.. lol.
Bingo!

While I have no doubt that some of the newbies who PM right away are possibly LE/Customs who want to see if illegal stuff is happening, most of the newcomers fit into one of two categories:

1. New to the site
2. New to the site and new to cigars (like me).

I wonder how many of the people in the first group forget that they are "newbies" in this site's eyes and don't have the creds to talk to seasoned members about it?

I know that my palette is not refined enough to be able to appreciate anything special that a non NC cigar could bring to the party, so I've never asked nor wanted to put a brother into an awkward position.

But, it wouldn't surprise me, either, to learn that people were using either the site's search engine or Google for them and these posts come up.
What I posted earlier kinda made me sound dickish considering I'm a noob as well.

I don't mind PMs from other noobs or other noobs pming the great guys up here. It's a great way to get to know someone on a more personal level. I just meant that it's screwd up to try to get free sticks or some kind of source.

I guess what I'm saying is that we all forget that we either are still new to this brotherhood or were new at some point.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
You didn't come across as a dick at all and I hope you didn't infer that from my post (awww, can y'all feel the love?).

I totally get why asking about CC cigars is prohibited and what I was trying to say was that I completely agree with you that it's easy to get caught up in the excitement. Especially when, like me, you're new to both the boards and cigars. Hell, I found this place and within a few weeks, went from enjoying talking about cigars and having a couple in a Ziplock to having a fully decked out Tupperdor just shy of 100 sticks. LOL

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
You didn't come across as a dick at all and I hope you didn't infer that from my post (awww, can y'all feel the love?).

I totally get why asking about CC cigars is prohibited and what I was trying to say was that I completely agree with you that it's easy to get caught up in the excitement. Especially when, like me, you're new to both the boards and cigars. Hell, I found this place and within a few weeks, went from enjoying talking about cigars and having a couple in a Ziplock to having a fully decked out Tupperdor just shy of 100 sticks. LOL
It only gets worse! the vets call it a "slippery slope". They lied! It's a gawdam cliff!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

It only gets worse! the vets call it a "slippery slope". They lied! It's a gawdam cliff!
How well I know. It's *possible* that I have 40 more cigars scheduled for delivery on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.