What's new

Recommendations for a soft flame lighter?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any suggestions? I'd like to pick one up for a decent price...
nothing fancy.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
I have an IM Corona and i absolutely love it, it is not what I would consider cheap but works flawlessly and will last forever. Otherwise i also use matches or cedar strips to light my sticks.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I bought a couple of nonname lighters with adjustable flames in Seattle before boarding the cruise and then found a torch. I have been using these in the car. Great.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zippo. If you want soft-flame butane instead of lighter fluid, get a Vector Thunderbird insert. Also, Nibo makes some nice, inexpensive roller lighters that look a lot like the classic Dupont/Dunhill/Cartier lighters. Cheap, look great, work great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy nice vintage Duponts or Dunhills quite reasonablly at antique marts and flea markets. I bought a gold filled Dunhill rollagas in the box for $20 not too long ago. It was near mint except for a split in the flint holder.Put some butane in the tank and a fresh flint and it lit right up. I did not like the gold color so I traded it for a silver finished one. I have a couple of Linge 1 Duponts I picked up cheap but the butane refills are spendy.
Cheers,
-Big Frank

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I like my Prince soft-flame lighter... ($40-$60)

i would recommend a Bic...:bouncetau
I too have a Prince lighter that lights nearly every cigar I smoke, I just love that dang thing, it works flawlessly and IMHO is a great looking lighter. I have the Dolphin 1964 Reissue in Ivory.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I use a torch to toast the foot of my cigar, then light it with a soft flame. I just think the soft flame covers a broader area of the cigar when lighting and IMHO there's less chance of getting one area burnt with a soft flame. Plus on the above Prince lighter, it holds a lot of fuel for such a small footprint and if you turn the wheel to high, the flame is like 12" tall! I think you can heat a soup can with it. :rofl:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! That's cool looking. So what are the benifits of a soft flame over a torch?
I like a soft flame indoors and a torch outdoors. The soft flame isn't as hot, covers a broader area, and it is more affected by airflow than a torch. Try lighting a cigar with a disposable butane lighter like a Bic, and you'll see the differences. Then it's a question of personal preference as to which you prefer.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have an IM Corona and i absolutely love it, it is not what I would consider cheap but works flawlessly and will last forever. Otherwise i also use matches or cedar strips to light my sticks.
Ditto, my IM Corona old boy is the best softflame lighter I have ever had, and I have had a bunch.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too have a Prince lighter that lights nearly every cigar I smoke, I just love that dang thing, it works flawlessly and IMHO is a great looking lighter. I have the Dolphin 1964 Reissue in Ivory.

That is one sweet looking lighter. Where is the best place (price) to get one?