What's new

Recommendations for a soft flame lighter?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Xikar EX which is relly nice cuz it's windproof and it's carbon fiber so I think it looks really cool.

I also have a Montecristo Signature lighter with double soft flames which is fantastic, I love that thing. Cheaper than a Dupont or Davidoff 'ping' too.

Overall if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive reliable lighter, I'd go with a Xikar EX, nice selection of desings/colors, too.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem with Zippos is the flavor they give the cigar.
You may have a more sensitive nose and palate than I, but personally, I believe that is urban legend, especially if you use Zippo brand lighter fuel. Some friends and I tried some blind tests to see if any of us could tell the difference between the same cigars lit with lighter-fluid filled Zippos and butane (soft-flame) fueled Zippos. None of us could.

The problems that I have with the regular Zippo inserts are that, if I overfill them, the lighter fluid burns my skin through my pants pockets, and they tend to evaporate and need refilling fairly often. Other than that, I have no problem using the regular inserts and Zippo brand lighter fluid. YMMV.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You may have a more sensitive nose and palate than I, but personally, I believe that is urban legend, especially if you use Zippo brand lighter fuel.
I collect Zippos and take well care of each, meaning I only use Zippo products for them; be it wicks, flints or fluids. Yet it still impares a hint of it's flavour (and trust me when I say I know this flavour quite well), just as any fire source does. Or why do ye think different smoking wood impares different flavour to the meat? Butane has the advantage of beeing insipid, therefore imparing no flavour at all. Lighter fluid, on the other hand...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also wanted to try a soft flame lighter. I ended up winning at Xikar FlintFire at the devil site. Hopefully it's not a dog, but Xikar seems to stand behind their products. The bidding is up on another one this Thursday (10/16).

I'll mention how the Xikar is once I receive it.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also wanted to try a soft flame lighter. I ended up winning at Xikar FlintFire at the devil site. Hopefully it's not a dog, but Xikar seems to stand behind their products. The bidding is up on another one this Thursday (10/16).

I'll mention how the Xikar is once I receive it.
I'd be surprised if you have any problems with it. Xikar usually makes excellent stuff, and as you mentioned, their customer service is top notch. The only problems I have had with my Xikar Executive is that the fuel supply is too small, and the finish is very delicate.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
snip...
The problems that I have with the regular Zippo inserts are that, if I overfill them, the lighter fluid burns my skin through my pants pockets, and they tend to evaporate and need refilling fairly often. Other than that, I have no problem using the regular inserts and Zippo brand lighter fluid. YMMV.
Yep, I overfilled mine once and have not used it since. burned the sh!t out of my thigh. I did not like the idea that the fluid was sitting in an unsealed vessel.

I collect Zippos and take well care of each, meaning I only use Zippo products for them; be it wicks, flints or fluids. Yet it still impares a hint of it's flavour (and trust me when I say I know this flavour quite well), just as any fire source does. Or why do ye think different smoking wood impares different flavour to the meat? Butane has the advantage of beeing insipid, therefore imparing no flavour at all. Lighter fluid, on the other hand...
I remeber even cigarettes lit with a zippo have a different flavour, I am not a fan at all of lighter fluid. Have you even eaten a burger cooked on matchlight charcoal before they were all the way burnt down. yeah ...lighter fluid burger. blech

I'd be surprised if you have any problems with it. Xikar usually makes excellent stuff, and as you mentioned, their customer service is top notch. The only problems I have had with my Xikar Executive is that the fuel supply is too small, and the finish is very delicate.

Yep scratches all over mine and the tank is good for maybe 3 smokes and a coule touchups...if that.

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have been really enjoying my Xikar FlintFire II after snagging one a few month's back at a great price. MSRP is around $90, but there are deals out there to be had (I'm still figuring out the rules here) so be sure to shop around.

Looks like slightly like an ST without the 'ping,' but is the same wait and holds more butane. Plus on top of all that you get the lifetime warranty from Xikar, which is nice.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I have had two IM Corona Old Boy's, one I lost and it was the best damn lighter I have ever had. The second one, the one I have right now, I have to send back because it won't hold a fluid charge. However, I think this is an anomaly.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Xikar doesn't even list a carbon fiber lighter on their site, are you sure about the carbon fiber thing?
I'm pretty sure it exists...it's in my pocket! :cool:

It's not listed on their site, but if you talk to your local B&M they can order it. It's part of their new carbon fiber set (which I bought): lighter, case, cutter. Lists for about the same as the Cuban-style EX lighters.

*Edit*
Moro was right. It is the EXII, maybe that's where I threw you off. I like it a lot.

Do they make cases for their lighters? Something like the Lamborghini or Dupont cases, kind of rectangled, ya know?

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Do they make cases for their lighters? Something like the Lamborghini or Dupont cases, kind of rectangled, ya know?
If you register your lighter online they will send you a case. It's not the prettiest leather case in the bunch, but it fits your lighter and it's free.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Xikar does offer a case for the Flintfire 2 lighter for free when you register. Also, they just added the both the flintfire and flintfire2 on the website. The flintfire looks super slim, and the flintfire2 looks like a standard thickness, so its likely if will hold plenty of butane.

If UPS does it's job, I'll get it from the devil site Friday or Monday (with a fiver of Pepin blue churchills!).