What's new

Refining Your Pallette

San Juan Benito Alejandro

San Juan Benito Alejandro
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this post whole-heartedly! I've always been a firm believer of trying new things if I've never had it before! Especially when it comes to smokes, cuisines, and drinks! Of course over the years this has brought me to dump very foul liquors down my throat, or to eat some very unpleasant things but at least I can say that I've tried it, and it does help to develop an experienced pallette.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I deffinetly have to slow down. I do better on the larger ring sizes. I had an smaller A. Fuente this weekend that left the most bitter taste on my lips. It also left a gross stain on my lips from all the tar that came out. My bad, My wife was rushing me so I could come inside to watch The Notebook with her. I guess I'm whipped.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, adding to the newb question list. I understand that you can use these suggestions to sort of help seperate the different flavors... but what is it that you suggest in trying to clarify them? What would be the best idea to go about finding what exactly it is that you are smelling/tasting?

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ok, adding to the newb question list. I understand that you can use these suggestions to sort of help seperate the different flavors... but what is it that you suggest in trying to clarify them? What would be the best idea to go about finding what exactly it is that you are smelling/tasting?
Typically, you know what leather, wood, grass, cedar, etc...would smell/taste like.

The most unfamiliar tastes/smells can often be found in a VERY well stocked spice cabinet. Additionally, items like dried apricot, plum, etc can be in the dried good section of your grocer.

Trying a wide variety of cuisines also helps out. It's really about being exposed to as many tastes as possible to use in your memory's rolodex of flavors.

Hope this helps

~Mark

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Don't get caught sticking your nose in those big plastic bins at bulk isle in the store, your grocer will not appreciate it. Boysenberries aren't real appitizing with boogers on them. :lookaroun

:stretchgr

How you doin Mark?

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Don't get caught sticking your nose in those big plastic bins at bulk isle in the store, your grocer will not appreciate it. Boysenberries aren't real appitizing with boogers on them. :lookaroun

:stretchgr

How you doin Mark?
Macadamia nuts you say? :pokemyeye

Very well Ken, how about you?

~M

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I can't believe I forgot the Macadamia nuts and Beechnut.

Just working, killing time until I catch a flight to Atlanta this morning. I'll give you a call this afternoon, I have an order.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, Bear's $.02. First, Brilliant post, Mark.

I would like to expand on Mr. Alejandro's comment about cuisine and drinks. I believe that this will answer some other questions.

I have a buddy who, when we began to smoke cigars, used to give me a hard time about using the word "Cedary" to describe the flavor we so often enjoy in a smoke. He would say- "How do you know what cedar tastes like? Chew on any branches today? Going to go whittle your teeth down?".

I don't think that you necessarily have to go chewing on bark or gnawing on tree trunks to understand flavors, but I do feel that you can do a lot to improve your palate. Try this- Next time you finish a box of cigars, break off a little piece of the box lining and suck on it. It will have massive amounts of flavor and you will understand what a "Cedary" taste really constitutes in burning tobacco. Net time you go to a restaurant, take time to understand the flavors of ingredients used in your favorite dishes. The whole key is committing the separate flavors to memory, so slow down and indulge.

As for smells, I can't say enough. I have had a couple cigars that have reminded me of campfires and old times. Those sticks hold a special place in my heart. Unequivocally, the sense of smell is the strongest sense tied to memory, so be sure to also pay close attention to how your cigars smell.

Bear

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Excellent instructional - very appreciated.

I've been working on doing this myself; the process is a bit akin to learning Tantric Sex without a guru - fun, but you still have zero idea if you're doing it right.:eyebrow:

To test this out I just went and grabbed the first cigar I laid an unlooking hand to in my humidor - a Cusano MC Robusto. After taking a few sips of club soda to cleanse the palette, I put on a coat and hat - it's Colorado at midnight, after all - and stepped outside to spark it up.

Slowing down definitely helps. I picked up a definite woody flavor - I'd be loathe at this stage to talk in terms of what kind of wood we're dealing with (not sure I'd know a cedary taste if I got smacked in the mouth with a shingle).

I also got a bit of a cream taste, reflected in the thick, whitish smoke put off. Very smooth, until I tried exhaling through the nose - ah, yes, there's the burn mentioned in the first post. Reviews I've perused of the stick suggest both of these (never did pin down what variety of wood we're talking :headroll: ) ...

At that point I got a bit of a peppery taste, as well as another flavor I couldn't pin down - bit of a zest, not spicy, but something else.

So, first question:
Was I most likely getting the peppery taste because of the burn of exhaling through my nose deliberately, or was I tasting the flavor, not the burn?

Another couple of them and I can probably answer my own question; I'm interested in what the experts say.

The cigar seemed to get much harsher towards the last third - something I've not noticed in previous encounters with the MC's. Which leads to my second question:

Is that increased harshness a natural building of potency that I'm just more aware of by virtue of my extra attention, an anomaly of that particular stick, or was it simply caused because I was smoking faster than I was the first 2/3?

I suspect it was that I was smoking faster - it's a whopping 11 degrees out without the wind, and after a while even a polar bear like me starts to want to get indoors. I'm usually partaking earlier in the day, so it's not as cold ...

Came inside, had a small glass of water, and found my girlfriend had left some sliced apple out for me. Took a bite and had to glance down to make sure it was an apple, not some weird hybridized orange ... thing. My first bite of apple after the smoke gave me a definite taste of orange.

So, third and final question:

Was that unknown zest I was getting earlier actually orange, and the apple just clued me in, or was I just imagining it?

Flavor faded very quickly; within a couple bites I was eating apple. But I definitely got citrus from that first post-smoke bite.

I'm interested in enhancing my palette, and these are the stream-of-consciousness questions that bounce through my mind as I'm blowing smoke, so, feel free to analyze the blather ... I'm interested in the board's thoughts.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
My thoughts, as a noob with no real room to comment, are.....If you are tasting the wood and noticing the changes throughout the smoke, the noticing the citrus taste after the fact.. you are well on you way to a refined pallet. II've been picking up the nuts,leather,coffee and chocolate in the last couple of smokes I've had. It helps for me to know what I'm looking for by reading an experienced smokers review.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this got reposted.

N2Advnture:

I have been smoking waaaayyy to fast. Thanks to your advice. Maybe now my stash will last a little longer.

I printed your words of wisdom to hand out to a couple regulars at my bar. Thanks for the insight.

Al

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolhand wrote: "I've been working on doing this myself; the process is a bit akin to learning Tantric Sex without a guru - fun, but you still have zero idea if you're doing it right."

Too funny.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Excellent instructional - very appreciated...

So, first question:
Was I most likely getting the peppery taste because of the burn of exhaling through my nose deliberately, or was I tasting the flavor, not the burn?

Was it a "pepper" flavor (black, white, peppercorn, etc...) or was it a burning cayenne type flavor?

If just pepper, it's most likely from the wrapper. If cayenne, then it is probably blowing too much smoke through your nose or blowing it through too quickly.

The blowing smoke through the nose should only be done a couple of times during each 1/3 (IMHO, of course) as you run the risk of "burn out" if you do it too much.

Also, just a little smoke will do you. The object is to try to pick up a little more subtle flavor by using an addition part of your olfactory system located in your nasal cavity. (IMHO, again).

Another couple of them and I can probably answer my own question; I'm interested in what the experts say.

The cigar seemed to get much harsher towards the last third - something I've not noticed in previous encounters with the MC's. Which leads to my second question:

Is that increased harshness a natural building of potency that I'm just more aware of by virtue of my extra attention, an anomaly of that particular stick, or was it simply caused because I was smoking faster than I was the first 2/3?
The last third of a cigar can become harsh and/or bitter if you smoke too quickly or smoke too "hard" (eg, long, powerful draws) or if you slobber a lot on the head of the cigar. Any or all of these combined can create a build up of tars in the cigar or around the head.

Try, slowing down a bit. Not taking a drink of your beverage before drawing (to prevent the head from getting too wet) and try to keep from drawing with big hard draws.

Also, try "purging" a few times throughout the last 2/3s and see if all or a combination of these tips help.

I suspect it was that I was smoking faster - it's a whopping 11 degrees out without the wind, and after a while even a polar bear like me starts to want to get indoors. I'm usually partaking earlier in the day, so it's not as cold ...

Came inside, had a small glass of water, and found my girlfriend had left some sliced apple out for me. Took a bite and had to glance down to make sure it was an apple, not some weird hybridized orange ... thing. My first bite of apple after the smoke gave me a definite taste of orange.

So, third and final question:

Was that unknown zest I was getting earlier actually orange, and the apple just clued me in, or was I just imagining it?

Depends on if it is typical of the flavor profile of that cigar.

The fruity flavor from the apple which tends to have a slight bitterness may have jogged the association / conclusion that the flavor was citrus. (I do it all the time if I can't figure a flavor out, I'll sniff spices to pin it down).

Most often, the citrus I find has a citrusy crispness like sprite (depending on the type of smoke the cigar is putting out).

Flavor faded very quickly; within a couple bites I was eating apple. But I definitely got citrus from that first post-smoke bite.

I'm interested in enhancing my palette, and these are the stream-of-consciousness questions that bounce through my mind as I'm blowing smoke, so, feel free to analyze the blather ... I'm interested in the board's thoughts.
Responses in bold above

I hope this helps

~Mark

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Glad this got reposted.

N2Advnture:

I have been smoking waaaayyy to fast. Thanks to your advice. Maybe now my stash will last a little longer.

I printed your words of wisdom to hand out to a couple regulars at my bar. Thanks for the insight.

Al
My pleasure Al. I find the fast smoking (or eliminating it) is the #1 way for most people to improve the flavor of their smokes :thumbsup:

I'm glad it helped bro!

~Mark

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Mark -- thanks for the input.

The peppery taste was like a black pepper; as if you took a bite of food with a larger-than-average amount of table pepper on it. I think just a characteristic of the cigar.

I'm pretty sure I was drawing too fast - I actually was not drinking anything while smoking. I think the cold just got to me and I started to speed up.

By "purging," what do you mean? I'm taking it to mean "taking a series of deep breaths without smoking?"

And the orange-ish taste I took was rather thick ... "sticky" is a way I'd describe it, for lack of more precise terminology. I think it may've just been a trick played on me by the combination of the apple coming in from the smoke.

Thanks for the input.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
...By "purging," what do you mean? I'm taking it to mean "taking a series of deep breaths without smoking?"
"Purging" is a term describing the act of blowing back through the cigar while holding a flame at the foot. The flame with turn several different colors as the build up in the cigar is blown out.

Often times this will greatly improve the cigar, especially when done a couple of time throughout the last two thirds of the cigar.

I hope this helps

~Mark