What's new

Refining Your Pallette

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was extremely helpful seeing as how I'm kinda new to the smoking game (not new to smoking, just new to wanting to get better at picking out good smokes)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Fantastic thread. Lots of great advice and different techniques. I love the fact that you emphasize taking your time with a smoke. Would you go to a five star restaurant and wolf down every course as quickly as you can? Of course not so why burn one up in 20 minutes especially if it's a choice smoke? Savor the stick and the experience will be that much more rewarding.
For you sushi lovers pickled ginger really does work for cigars as well. I've enjoyed sushi and had a good amount of ginger after my meal and lit one up. I felt I picked up great flavors from my smoke after having the ginger and rinsing my mouth out with water.
I smoke one or two sticks every few weeks and I find that it helps me not get burned out on the taste of tobacco. If I treat cigars as just that, a treat I tend to get a lot more out of them.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thank you for the information sir. I smoke too fast and usually enjoy a nice beverage with the stogie but I will try the water and drink the beer in between cigars.:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Another palette refining tip. When smoking the second or last third and drinking nothing stronger than water, coffee or straight coke; include a just-turned-ripe banana in the routine occasionally. The banana should be on the citrus-tangy side of fresh (just coming off green), this doesn't work with a too ripe banana. Take small bites of the banana (Freud would love this one!) about every third puff as a means of freshening the palette from any harshness that might possibly slip into those final portions of even a fine cigar. This will also help bring out flavors in the smoke (the banana taste seems to get quickly neutralized) that you may not have known were there. Drink your liquid as normal.
Sometimes a banana is just a banana...

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Nice post btw...
I learned through trial and error about slowing down a bit. Every time I come here I learn something new or read about something I learned the hard way:)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the banana sounds pretty good... one other quick question... will smoking flavored cigars like backwoods damage your developing pallette?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you this helps sooo much. I have been driving myself crazy. I will slow down and grab what I can. Keeping notes might help me slow down.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Excellent post. Having smoked cigars for nearly 40 years doesn't make me professional but it does give me experience as long as I take what you posted on here. Even the novice can be more proficient at this hobby if he does these things....much like a sommelier who goes through an educational process to know how to distinguish flavors. Our hobby becomes even better when we're able to taste something that for too long may have been hidden as there are ways to enhance techniques so we can distinguish flavors better.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
this is helpful!

does anyone know if theres a huge laundry list of tasting notes somewhere that are common in cigars that one could use during a smoke to match up against?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
For me it was slowing down, but this took awhile to learn at first I was thinking waiting between puffs was slowing down but if you actually slow down the inhale to lets say 6 seconds instead of 2 seconds the sudel flavors start to appear for me. This is a new toy for my toy box in smoking cigars. The only problem is that an hour smoke takes 1.5 hours to smoke so I try to use both slow puffs and fast puffs they both give slightly different profiles. I assume this is from a large draw is over powering the flavors and a small slow draw lets you taste some flavors that might have been covered up with large amounts of smoke.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
after slowing down, my sessions have doubled in time. in this case i sometimes end up put it out early. gotta find that right mix.