What's new

Rehydrating Bovedas

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
How long did you leave them in there to rehydrate??

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk
About 2 weeks for me. Maybe three if the Bodeva has transformed into a bag of rocks. Here's mine, now that Jeremy's post just reminded me. Been settling for a month. Distilled water all gone but the bags are nice and puffy.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I use a bread box has well with good success. 65 & 69% packs usually take a few days. These 84% packs have been going for a month and are only about half way there. I replace the water and paper towels every week or so before the mold sets in.

64982396-750F-4095-B16B-490B8D0FBACF.jpeg

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I use a bread box has well with good success. 65 & 69% packs usually take a few days. These 84% packs have been going for a month and are only about half way there. I replace the water and paper towels every week or so before the mold sets in.

View attachment 122205
Yeah, I prefer not to use paper towels, they just mold so fast. I'm paranoid about it. It'd be easy for me to forget and if any formed I'd have to toss the boveda.
That better breader is cheap as an add on item at Amazon. And just really convenient. Though a bit bulky.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Little Tupperware of distilled water set into a bigger Tupperware with dryish bovedas

Edit:
I was 3/4ths asleep when I typed this lol, the above method is how I have been recharging them over the last month or so lol

Last edited:

Lunchbox

Gettin back into the game
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been so helpful. I’m rehydrating 4 84% packs using the non paper towel approach. Stored on top of the fridge, in a ziplock, with a small bowl of distilled water. They’ve been in there for about a week and are slowly starting to get squishy. I’m pumped!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I'm new so it's new to me! I looked and didn't see this method, excuse me if I missed it.

I've tried the in water recharge but I didn't like how long the exterior took to dry. I've tried the separate water in a container method too, too long.

What I do depending on the combination of %s takes a week give or take.

I combine all %s and wrap each of them in a paper towel soaked with distilled water. I wrap it in the middle and fold the edges in. Then I just sit them all together next to each other in a sealed container.

Sometimes the lower % ones have a wet exterior if I don't check fast enough but dries on it's on in a bag and since I usually don't need it right away I don't care.

I've tried all the methods I think and found this one to be the fastest. No worries about mold since the time is so brief. Works great for me but whatever works for you is the best solution.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I submerge mine in a sealed Tupperware of distilled water for two days. Then I empty the water and place them back into the same Tupperware sitting on those plastic things that you get with delivered pizza for two more days. They will soak up the rest of the droplets in the Tupperware and mine come out dry on the outside. No towel needed.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just a note,

I've noticed that Bovedas can become oversaturated. I left some in a recharging container and then tried to use them to calibrate some new hygrometers. The 65% packs read 71% with both the new and trusted older hygrometer. The packs where puffy and had no granularity. This may not be a bad thing if your humidor tends to run a bit low but just keep it in mind when trying to use the packs to calibrate hygrometers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recharge mine by soaking them in water. Usually takes 1-2 days depending on how dry they were. I let them dry on a rack for a few hours then I put them in a mason jar for later use.

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi all,

I see I can get a better price per gram on the new 320 boveda's has anyone tried to recharge them yet? I'm wondering if boveda is ever going to do anything to make recharging them not work? It looks like they come in another container can you simple remove the pack and recharge like the smaller ones?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hi all,

I see I can get a better price per gram on the new 320 boveda's has anyone tried to recharge them yet? I'm wondering if boveda is ever going to do anything to make recharging them not work? It looks like they come in another container can you simple remove the pack and recharge like the smaller ones?
The box can be opened, but you’d have to tape it/glue it back up afterwards. Being a 2-way media you will always be able to recharge them. It takes me about a week to recharge a 60g so I’m guessing it’d take a month or so to recharge the 320s. I guess that also all depends on your method of recharge (dunking in water, wrapping in a wet towel or placing in a more humid environment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cool, good to know. I just got 6 packets I'm going to be dropping from 65% to 62% and these were 30% off

YamRZ350

Wrench Thrower
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If anyone cares, i weighed 3 new out of the wrapper 60 gram packs and they were all slightly different weight. Averaged out to be 62.5 grams on my trusty piston scale.

If you soak them like me, ive read there's a good chance you could over charge them and they wont be accurate.

Anyway, true or not it couldn't hurt to keep them close to the same weight as new if you have a decent scale.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
just did my first recharge recently. put the stiff packs in the sink for 4 or 5 days. used regular tap water. good as new. i noticed they weren't even needed as my steralite-a-dor has stayed consistent at 65 even with half the bovedas missing. I'm saving the recharged ones in a ziploc until the other half need a recharge, or possibly for a 2nd steralite-a-dor.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
just did my first recharge recently. put the stiff packs in the sink for 4 or 5 days. used regular tap water. good as new. i noticed they weren't even needed as my steralite-a-dor has stayed consistent at 65 even with half the bovedas missing. I'm saving the recharged ones in a ziploc until the other half need a recharge, or possibly for a 2nd steralite-a-dor.
Tap water is no good. You need distilled water as tap water can bring mold and other bacteria into the humidor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I also believe the minerals and chlorine in plain tap water will reduce the life of your Bovedas

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I admit I’m a skeptic about that. The chlorine in the tap water should prevent mold growth. Not sure about the packs breaking down faster, I can do it this way and report back in a few years for the sake of science!!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All depends on your palate. We have a local shop that uses tap water in their humidifiers and a shop that uses de-ionized water in their humidifiers I can taste the difference in their cigars. as much as anything else I think the minerals in tap water will screw with the chemistry of the stuff inside the paper packs. No hard evidence on my part, just what almost "everyone" says and I know with the beads they highly recommend distilled water for recharging. Let us know how it works out, I'm willing to change my opinion!