What's new

Rehydrating Bovedas

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I use 62% Boveda in my CC desktop and use 10# of kitty litter and 2# of 65% Heartfelt beads in my wineador.
I have 12 of the Bovedas and use 6 at a time in the desktop. They stay charged for 4-6 months. I just throw the ones that need recharged into the wineador and when I need them they are ready to go. Put the recharged into the desktop and the ones needing recharged go into the wineador. Takes about 1 minute to do. Easy peazey and everything stays very steady for several months before needing attention.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C9belayer: Are you putting the 1/4 cup water directly into the large containers and the packs directly into the water? Or are you putting a second container into a larger one to hold the water?
Hey Deaton5858,
Directly on the packs; the "tiny-bowl-of-water-in-an-airtight-container" thing is fussier and takes MUCH longer to achieve the same effect. Just splash the water right there on the packs. Don't worry - the packs are NOT made of paper - they won't disintegrate!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Bringing this old thread back to life...

I've been using a small metal cup with DW and a Boveda on top of it in my humidor to recharge. Of course the pack recharges in the middle quickly but not the edges so much. They stay pretty hard this way. Now I place the pack off center on the little cup. As one gets fully charged, I rotate it out with one from another shelf that needs charging.

Seems to work.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use those cheap florist foam humidifiers.
Considering I have a number of them, and I don't use them - why not use them for rehydrating? I mix a little PG with DW so as to help prevent mould. Shove them and the Bovedas in one of those 2 tiered tupperware things, after a few days they're recharged. Humidity sticks at 90% so it's rather quick to rehydrate.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Can anyone tell me why it wouldnt work to cut open bovedas when dry, powder the contents, place in small humi jar, and mix with distilled water? Put the jar right in the humi?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You might be the first to come up with this. Please try it and report back.
Ive been doing it for a year or two, it seems to work but the top layer dries faster and develops a crust that you need to break up every now and then. Its hard to tell if its really working, because I use xikar humi-stores, boveda packs, and my boveda jar

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Can anyone tell me why it wouldnt work to cut open bovedas when dry, powder the contents, place in small humi jar, and mix with distilled water? Put the jar right in the humi?
I guess but Why cut them open? I Just soak the whole thing in distilled water and then toss it back in the wineador.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's come up in several threads whether or not Bovedas can be brought back to life once they dry out. I'm not sure if you're "supposed" to or not and the Boveda website mentions nothing about it (that I can find). However, I've been doing it for about a year and a half now and I know others have been doing it longer with no ill effects to the humidity regulating properties of the Boveda pack. So here's how I do it...

What you'll need:

You'll need something airtight to revive the Bovedas in. I use a plastic canister. You may also use a Tupperware or similar container. The biggest concern is that it is airtight. One or more shot glasses or similar container. A couple paper towels. Distilled water. Desiccated Bovedas.

Step one:

Fold up the paper towels and stuff them in the shot glasses. I fold mine so that they fan out a little. This increases the surface area for the water to evaporate from and I've found it speeds up the process versus just filling a shot glass with water.

Step two:

Fill shot glasses with water and allow paper towels to soak it up. Then top it off (careful not to get too close to the top though or it'll spill easily).

Step three:

Place shot glasses in airtight container with Bovedas. Let it sit until they're squishy again. Different RH will require a shorter or longer time to rehydrate. I toss different RH in together, the lower RH will be done first (i.e. 65% before 70%).

Once they're completely squishy, use 'em or put 'em in a plastic bag (I prefer freezer bags with the double seal and double bag, but maybe I'm paranoid) until you need them. Works best if you have a cycle where some are hydrating while you're using the others.

Hope that helps everyone with questions about this. If anyone does it different or has some other tips they'd like to share, fire away!

Edit 11/27/2013: After a few incidents of our cats getting into the spare room and knocking the rehydration chamber off the bookshelf I decided to try something new. I put some kitty litter (the same kind used to regulate humidity in humidors) in a panty hoe and drenched the kitty litter with distilled water. Put that in the chamber with the Bovedas and it works great...plus no mess. Now I'm considering working in some kind of false bottom to fill with kitty litter, but this may be overkill...still mulling it over.

Dan
Thanks
It's come up in several threads whether or not Bovedas can be brought back to life once they dry out. I'm not sure if you're "supposed" to or not and the Boveda website mentions nothing about it (that I can find). However, I've been doing it for about a year and a half now and I know others have been doing it longer with no ill effects to the humidity regulating properties of the Boveda pack. So here's how I do it...

What you'll need:

You'll need something airtight to revive the Bovedas in. I use a plastic canister. You may also use a Tupperware or similar container. The biggest concern is that it is airtight. One or more shot glasses or similar container. A couple paper towels. Distilled water. Desiccated Bovedas.

Step one:

Fold up the paper towels and stuff them in the shot glasses. I fold mine so that they fan out a little. This increases the surface area for the water to evaporate from and I've found it speeds up the process versus just filling a shot glass with water.

Step two:

Fill shot glasses with water and allow paper towels to soak it up. Then top it off (careful not to get too close to the top though or it'll spill easily).

Step three:

Place shot glasses in airtight container with Bovedas. Let it sit until they're squishy again. Different RH will require a shorter or longer time to rehydrate. I toss different RH in together, the lower RH will be done first (i.e. 65% before 70%).

Once they're completely squishy, use 'em or put 'em in a plastic bag (I prefer freezer bags with the double seal and double bag, but maybe I'm paranoid) until you need them. Works best if you have a cycle where some are hydrating while you're using the others.

Hope that helps everyone with questions about this. If anyone does it different or has some other tips they'd like to share, fire away!

Edit 11/27/2013: After a few incidents of our cats getting into the spare room and knocking the rehydration chamber off the bookshelf I decided to try something new. I put some kitty litter (the same kind used to regulate humidity in humidors) in a panty hoe and drenched the kitty litter with distilled water. Put that in the chamber with the Bovedas and it works great...plus no mess. Now I'm considering working in some kind of false bottom to fill with kitty litter, but this may be overkill...still mulling it over.

Dan
Thank you for the share of knowledge

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hey Deaton5858,
Directly on the packs; the "tiny-bowl-of-water-in-an-airtight-container" thing is fussier and takes MUCH longer to achieve the same effect. Just splash the water right there on the packs. Don't worry - the packs are NOT made of paper - they won't disintegrate!

Recently did a test of something similar to this just to see how it would work...

I took a 72RH Boveda 8 gram pack and sprayed it with DW. It had very crunchy corners and was fairly firm in the middle. After getting it wet I put it in a ziplock bag, by itself, with “room” / air to provide a little space.

361EC771-325D-47DC-A8A4-40F390E33346.jpeg

The next day I went to check it and it was significantly “softer” in terms of the inner materials and moisture retention. The membrane / outer portion had dried up to the point where it looked “normal” again, not “wet” like the photo above.

7D25D786-68EF-4903-8F18-841512E41391.jpeg

The plan from here is to just spray the packets with DW, seems to work the same and significantly faster.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use the thin Cedar Woods that you find in "My Father" brand of Cigar that normally are on the top of the box when opened for the first time. The Cedar Strips are cut in half length wise, then I soked in Distilled Water[/b] in as clean plastic vessel until saturted. Pat dry with paper town then line the four inner wall of my Tupper-Ware Type container, place in Cigars, place Boveda on top, and forget for four weeks.

In 4 weeks I feel the Boveda if I feel like "Rice" forming inside I rehydrate the Cedar, replace. It feed the Boveda in a day or two the Boveda are back fat.

Just another idea.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I’m currently using my old tupperdore with 2 small containers with distilled water inside along with The Bovedas. Takes a few weeks but I have enough for rotating 2 sets so the time doesn’t bother me.

I’ve found that in peak of winter I need to switch to some fresh ones in my wineador even thought they are still very squishy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’m currently using my old tupperdore with 2 small containers with distilled water inside along with The Bovedas. Takes a few weeks but I have enough for rotating 2 sets so the time doesn’t bother me.

I’ve found that in peak of winter I need to switch to some fresh ones in my wineador even thought they are still very squishy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find my Boveda's hydrate faster vin summer is the garage that is normally 110-120 during the day time, in winter when the garage is cooler the process in slower.

So bring the Boveda Rehydration system indoor for faster recharge.