What's new

Review Contest 3 Cigar #1!!!!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Okay guys. Since everyone's packages have ben sent I am going to go ahead and open this one up. Thanks for participating in this review contest and I hope you all enjoy the smokes I've picked out for you to try. I know time can be tough, but we have 2 weeks between each cigar, so please take the time to work on these a little as it is more fun that way for everyone. Last time we had winners by default because only two guys got all 6 reviews in, and that was a little disappointing. I think you all are really going to enjoy this first stick, and I look forward to reading your reviews muy pronto. Please post your reviews in this thread when they are ready. Cheers!:cjump: BTW this cigar should b smoked and reviewed by September first, that is the day I am deeming the final day for this stog and then we move on to number two.

Last edited:

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just got back from picking mine up from Brooks. Thanks again Brooks, your a great guy, regardless of what Mowee says about you. LOL

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I put it in the first post but if you didnt read that far up then... this cigar should be smoked and reviewed by September first, that is the day I am deeming the final day for this stog and then we move on to number two.

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0

Stick seems to be a Churchill it's stats were 50 x 7 1/8"

Upon inspection of the cigar it was a beautiful medium brown tone, with no large veins. It was somewhat malleable, but not like your Johnson after spending a few minutes in the shower with your wife. The cigar had no predominate flavor, and the only aroma I could get was that of virginal tobacco.

I prefer to punch my cigars, rather than cut, and in hindsight this was not a great choice for this stick (but more on that later). I used a 8 mm punch. The cigar still displayed no flavors, and the draw was just a little tight, not like a crack whore's jeans, but tight all the same.

1/3
Very woodsy and some grassy undertones with just a hint of pepper, nice white and grey ash, and draw was a little firm. The cigar did not want to supply with me with much smoke.

2/3
All hints of pepper went away and was replaced by stronger grassy and earthy tones. At this point the draw has not changed, and the ash altough beautiful in color was like a teenage Southern Baptist virgin would not stay with me past the first inch. Still very little smoke.

3/3]
Draw never opened up, and pepper and spice lingered about, but like Ben Afleck they never realy played a good leading roll. It started to get a little harsh and bitter toward the end, but not bad enough to make me walk away. The finish was better than the rest of the stick, but that is not saying much. I never had to relight, and only touched it up a few times.

Total smoke time 1hr 21 minutes, and the beverage of choice was an Arnold Palmer while sitting by the pool in 95 degrees with a slight breeze.
To say this cigar was mild would be a monumental understatement.

Appearance.....14
Ash................ 8
Draw.............. 7
Burn............... 9
Smoke............ 7
Flavor/Blend....16
Uniqueness...... 7
Finish.............13

So I guess it did not score well with me. Total of ....81

Last edited:

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry to post on your guys's thread but I just wanted to say nice review openendstraight. I hope I can get in on this the next time you guys do this.

:chat:

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I probably should have let this cigar sit for longer than I did…… but I could not help myself .

Cigar # 1
7 1/4 x 48-50 ........paired with a glass of Ardbeg on the rocks.(you will notice this is what I drink with most sticks)

This was a beautiful cigar from the triple cap clear down to the foot nicely rolled cigar. No large veins or spongy spots anywhere to be found on the stick.

1)Prelight was nice maybe a little grassy floral coming through, used a double guillotine cutter on this bad boy , at this point my only concern was the draw …not as much airflow as I would like.

2)First third of this smoke the draw was a little hard and not much smoke..flavor wise good flavor getting some coffee and floral

3)Second third of this stick had ample smoke (I was getting worried) the flavor is woody and grassy the ash is good and firm. Starting get a little kick to it.

4)The final third of the smoke was the best. It still had lots of smoke to it and starting to get some pepper and more coffee/grassy flavors ……….if I had a pipe I would have finish it in that. This was a great smoke The only thing that held it back was the draw at the very beginning of the smoke...

Now for the scores
Appearance 14
Ash 9
Draw 9
Smoke 8
Flavor 18
Uniqueness 8
Finish 13
Burn 9
Final 88

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Cigar #1 of this blind review was enjoyed mid-afternoon with some good ol' H2O. I was unable to get pics with this review, but my hope is that I'll have that in later reviews.

Appearance: The wrapper was a medium brown with one obvious sun spot and another very small one. There was also a very small tear about half way up the cigar. Visually, it was slightly lumpy which made me think the tobacco was not evenly packed. There was also a few small veins.
Score - 12.

Ash: The ash was light gray with deep lines of black. There was no flaking to it and it held strong for around an inch. At that point it would start to lean and I never took the chance of it dropping on me.
Score - 8

Draw: I love my Palio cutter. I snipped the cap and the pre-light draw had an almost perfect resistance. The draw remained consistant throughout.
Score - 9

Burn: This is where everything went wrong for me. And I mean, REALLY wrong. Within the first inch, the burn started going faster on one side. Despite multiple touch-ups, multiple purges, and even letting it go out and relighting only the side that was burning slower, this cigar just would not burn well. At its worst, without touch up, it would be off a full inch. There was no tunneling, it just seemed one side of the cigar was more dense than the other. Unfortunately, with the burn this bad, this cigar didn't have much of a chance to score well.
Score - 5

Smoke: The smoke off this cigar was gray and fairly plentiful. The aroma was nice, too. It had the same notes as detected on the palate.
Score - 8

Flavor: Pre-light aroma, much like the pre-light draw, was of tobacco and a grassy/hay component. The first couple of puffs confirmed the pre-light aroma and draw...flavors of sweet tobacco, hay and some cream. These flavors remained prominent throughout the cigar. I could occassionally pick up a light spice on the retrohale, but I did not detect this on the palate. This cigar seemed to have good potential, but the flavors and experience where serverly hampered by the burn. It seemed that just as the cigar would get good, the burn would get off again and I'd have to start all over with the attempts to fix it.
Score - 16

Uniqueness: It's hard to know if the flavors would have changed at all here if there wasn't a constant re-lighting, purging and touch-up game going on. It did show potential.
Score - 7

Finish: The finish was also impacted by the aforementioned games. Too many times I would draw from the cigar and get the cloud of smoke that signified it had partially gone out, and thus leaving a somewhat bitter taste.
Score - 11.

Total Score: 76

This is a much larger vitola than I usually smoke, but I think if the burn had been better, this stick had good potential. I'm hoping this was just bad luck and would love to try another someday to get a better take on this one!