What's new

Review Contest 3 Cigar #1!!!!

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Holy shit, I REALLY did not expect it to be something like the Bolivar 109...it just really was not that great of a cigar...

Too bad...

~brooks

muhren

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is the third series of blind reviews I've done and I'm looking forward to the next smokes! Always shocking to me what the 'band' sneeks into our heads. When we don't know what we've got in our hands, we're generally a little more critical.

This is gonna be fun!

Thanks for letting me play.

M

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
"...nothing resembling any Bolivar I have ever smoked..."

Well, I'd agree with that. I would have never guessed it to be a Boli.

FN

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
No SHIT!!!!

I didn't even detect cc flavors at all, not to mention Bolivar! I would have believed you if you had told me it was Dominican.

I'm in shock.

Thanks for the great opportunity!!! Had I got this knowingly, I would have saved & cherished it for some time before finally selecting a special occasion to light this stick up... Only to be thoroughly dissappointed.

:thumbsup:

xddco

The Skipper
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Wow.... just Wow..... what a let down..... never would have guessed cc either...
it's interesting to note that flavors and burn characteristics were very consistent throughout the sample population... as a six sigma kind of guy, I gotta say that for the first sample, we are on the right track....

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Holy shite! I'm with AJ on this; ye could've told me it was a Dominican and I wouldn't have doubted for a second. At least I now know to steer clear.

muhren

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the great opportunity!!! Had I got this knowingly, I would have saved & cherished it for some time before finally selecting a special occasion to light this stick up... Only to be thoroughly dissappointed.
QUOTE]

I think this is funny maily because I have some select sticks for this pourpose (I can't spell that today!) and I know I have a couple let downs waiting to happen now.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I had the Bolivar 08 (france) Regional while on my cruise in May & loved it - though it wasn't necesarily better than the royal corona I enjoyed while leaving dock. I think these are just small batch, or special size sticks, not necessarily better in any way.

It hit's the collector bug in us to snatch them up, but the reality is that often, the regular production sticks are just plain better (much cheaper too!).

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
That is surprising Boli's usually smoke great I kinda knew it would be a CC from people's reviews but thought it might be one of the cheaper brands I guess I'll put this on the never buy list. Thanks Luke!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Well I dont know If Id put it on the never buy list. It is a pre-release cigar, and with that being said you may want to at least order a stick or two. I mean if for nothing else than to look at because they are really beautiful to look at.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Sorry this one is late, but you all can thank the fires out here and the long days. Was at the fires everyday and was stuck there for almost 10 full days.

Here is my review on #1 and I have not looked at anyone else's review, thus have no idea of what this cigar is, other than it needs a hell of a lot of time to age.

This cigar has a nice, light medium brown wrapper with a well placed cap. The cigar had a nice oily sheen to it. Veining was pronounced on the cigar from head to foot. I noticed two minor cracks on the wrapper, one of which looked as if the wrapper was unraveling. The cigar had a very firm feel to it with no spring to any portion of the cigar.

Pre-light scents of a light spice, minor floral notes and a dry grass. After cutting the cap with my Palio, hints of light white pepper and dry hay were present. The pre-light draw was good, although the cigar was firm.

After toasting the cigar with my Dupont Xtend lighter, I noticed a nice amount of blue-grey smoke emitted. This smoke was thick, which allows for ease of blowing smoke rings. That turned out to be the most fun about this cigar.

First third of this cigar had tastes of light white pepper, earthiness, light dry hay and a mellow sweetness started to develop. The ash was a mottled, flakey white/grey ash, which remained firm. The burn was even, but this cigar would not stay lit. (This cigar was in my humidor at 65%, where it had been resting until I smoked it last night.) Three times I had to re-light this cigar.

The second third kept the light spice, sweetness and light dry hay, as well as a slight hint of espresso. This cigar is definitely less than a year old, as the youngness came through during the first two thirds. The ash remained mottled and lot' of smoke still came through when the cigar was lit. Another four times I had to re-light it.

The final third kept the dry hay, earthiness, but the sweetness disappeared to bring on a sour flavor. The cigar kept going out, so I tossed it in the ashtray with about 2" left. Not worth the trouble or wasting of good lighter fluid. Just was not fun (Not your fault Luke! You did not make it.) This cigar reminded me of a poorly made Montecristo.

Overall, this cigar was just ok. I would love to smoke another one in 3 years to see how it aged. I am not even sure the lighting issue could be fixed with age.

Appearance and pre-light = 12/15
Ash = 8/10
Draw = 7/10
Burn = 6/10 When it was lit!
Smoke = 9/10
Flavour = 12/20
Uniqueness = 7/10
Finish and experience = 10/15

Overall score = 71

Thanks Luke for hosting this!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I had no idea this was a Boli.. Was a shocker that this one did not score well with anyone, buyt it is a really young cigar! Only age will help! Glad I did not have the plug issue though!