What's new

Revolvers?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I too enjoy revolvers. I've got a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag and a Ruger Blackhawk 22lr. Both are range guns however I would like to take the 44 mag deer hunting one of these days.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I too enjoy revolvers. I've got a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag and a Ruger Blackhawk 22lr. Both are range guns however I would like to take the 44 mag deer hunting one of these days.
I think it would be great to deer hunt with a revolver and your .44 mag would be perfect. I have decided my .357 might not be enough gun to feel comfortable I could place an ethical shot under pressure. I have a friend who dropped a doe 2 years ago with his .38, but I wouldn't try it myself.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think it would be great to deer hunt with a revolver and your .44 mag would be perfect. I have decided my .357 might not be enough gun to feel comfortable I could place an ethical shot under pressure. I have a friend who dropped a doe 2 years ago with his .38, but I wouldn't try it myself.
I agree. I've got a couple of spots I hunt where I can only see 50 yards or so. Usually I take a 30-30 with iron sights to these spots but next time, next season maybe, I'll take the 44.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Has anyone else shot any Buffalo Bore ammo in their revolvers? I have some 180g in .357 mag and it's noticeably a hot load. They make 3 different weight 357 rounds and I have considered hunting with the 180g.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Best pistol I ever owned was a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel. I was dumb and traded it not knowing what I had at the time. It will be replaced though. Love me a good .357mag
One of my biggest gun regrets was selling off my 4" 686 about 20 years ago.

It was my dads.. he gave it to me on a whim.. I shot it probably 2 dozen times (loved it).. but decided it wasnt practical for carry (compared to the G19 I had) and that it wasnt practical for hunting.. so.. I didnt need it... and traded it in on something else (I dont even remember what it was that I traded the 686 for anymore)..

I'd love to have that revolver back today... the trigger was probably the best I have ever had on any handgun.. it was accurate as hell with .38 wad cutters loaded (like x ring at 25 yards all day long accurate)... and would have made a decent "camping" gun had my dumb ass held on to it and thought about it in bigger scope (much better than the little snub nose taurus .357 I keep as a camping gun today)..

I have my sights set on a 7.5" bbl ruger super redhawk in .44 mag.. Im thinking that would be a good gun for brown bear country.. and could make an occasional hog hunt a lot of fun...

After I find a good deal on one of those I might go on the search for a replacement 686...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
One of my biggest gun regrets was selling off my 4" 686 about 20 years ago.

It was my dads.. he gave it to me on a whim.. I shot it probably 2 dozen times (loved it).. but decided it wasnt practical for carry (compared to the G19 I had) and that it wasnt practical for hunting.. so.. I didnt need it... and traded it in on something else (I dont even remember what it was that I traded the 686 for anymore)..

I'd love to have that revolver back today... the trigger was probably the best I have ever had on any handgun.. it was accurate as hell with .38 wad cutters loaded (like x ring at 25 yards all day long accurate)... and would have made a decent "camping" gun had my dumb ass held on to it and thought about it in bigger scope (much better than the little snub nose taurus .357 I keep as a camping gun today)..

I have my sights set on a 7.5" bbl ruger super redhawk in .44 mag.. Im thinking that would be a good gun for brown bear country.. and could make an occasional hog hunt a lot of fun...

After I find a good deal on one of those I might go on the search for a replacement 686...
They have new production 7 shot 686s now but I haven't heard good things about the new frame lock. If you are patient you can still find the older production 686s for about the same price as the new. Within the year I will have one again, it's a promise I've made myself. It would be the best camp/hunt sidearm IMO.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Back when I was into Cowboy Action Shooting, I had a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros in .45 Colt.

My shooting buddy has a pair of Vaqueros 45LC and I have shot them several times. Really accurate . He also has a Smith 500 mag that is a hand bruiser. More than 3 rounds is about all I can do without getting a stone bruise. It's a monster. I am not recoil sensitive to any other handgun.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
My shooting buddy has a pair of Vaqueros 45LC and I have shot them several times. Really accurate . He also has a Smith 500 mag that is a hand bruiser. More than 3 rounds is about all I can do without getting a stone bruise. It's a monster. I am not recoil sensitive to any other handgun.
I couldn't clear the cylinder of the 500 Linebaugh with full force loads (loaded a bit hotter than John recommendso_O). Not that one would need full force loads since the practice loads could punch clean through a bull buffalo.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well my personal favorite revolver was the Smith & Wesson Model 19, with a 2.5 Inch Barrel. Would chame a .357 Magnum, but was just fine loaded with 6 - 38 Special Rounds.