What's new

Rocky Patel Cigars...

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
The Sun Grown was alright, but that's the only one I've cared for. I know that RP puts out a lot of stuff, but looking at that list boggles my mind.

Dan

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
we are on one end of a bell curve on this board. there are a LOT of people on the median, and the far end of that bell curve. and rocky makes a LOT of cigars. ask all of our beer nerd brethren if they would buy budweiser, then ask them if they would like all the money inbev makes off of it.

for the record, there are a fistful on that list i would smoke. not any i would grab first pick, but something i would enjoy if handed from, and shared with, a friend.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
we are on one end of a bell curve on this board. there are a LOT of people on the median, and the far end of that bell curve. and rocky makes a LOT of cigars. ask all of our beer nerd brethren if they would buy budweiser, then ask them if they would like all the money inbev makes off of it.

for the record, there are a fistful on that list i would smoke. not any i would grab first pick, but something i would enjoy if handed from, and shared with, a friend.
^^^this^^^

Yes rocky makes a lot of cigars that's his buisness model. Every industy (wine, cars, beer, guns, cigars) your going to have your big boys, middle players, and then your boutique/specialty. Without companies like RP, Altadis, General you'd wouldn't have Tatuaje, Illusione, DE Liga Privada.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0

kiss-ass...

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Vintage 1990 has been the only Patel I liked, and I've tried a lot of them. The 1992 was the worst, maybe worst all time. I have yet to try the decade, but the B&M's by me are charging a in the $20's for one. No way am I paying that for an NC.

matalo

Man, Myth, Legend?
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I mainly buy the Edge counterfeits from CI. I have never had a problem with them being dyed. Lately, I found I am really liking the Thunder by Rocky's cousin.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have had many on that list and enjoy them still today. The Fusion was the first box purchase I ever made. Smoke the last one last year sometime. Not as good as I remember it, but I remember my first one.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah I remember that as well. Horrible. To me that is just lying to consumers. If they are dying it to achieve the color than they really aren't Maduro's. As we discussed in another thread recently, Maduro/Oscuro doesn't refer to the color of the wrapper but more the process which they are made.

I don't get the point of the thread. To show how much crap one cigar company can put out?
Basically. And not all his cigars are crap, I'm sure if you tried every cigar listed you would find a few you like. I just was trying to illustrate just how many cigars he puts out. I believe in quality over quantity, and I'm sure any true cigar enthusiast would say the same. You look at a company like this with nearly 100 different cigars and then a company like Padron who has 4 lines (Classic, 1964, 1926, Family Reserve).

Last edited:

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Sorry not a fair comparison. RP is not in the Padrons league. You cannot compare the two brands. But you are entitled to your opinion. Smoke what you like. As for me, you will never see me smoke one of RP cigars. Tried too many on that list and IMHO they are crap. He has 100 diffrrent cigars but most taste the same. RP is a great marketer of cigars but a pompous, arrogant ass. Just my opinion. The comparison of two different brands is ridiculous.

Last edited:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I have had many on that list and enjoy them still today. The Fusion was the first box purchase I ever made. Smoke the last one last year sometime. Not as good as I remember it, but I remember my first one.
The Fusion was actually blended by AJ Fernandez.

Sorry not a fair comparison. RP is not in the Padrons league. You csnnof compare the two brands. But you are entitled to your opinion. Smoke what you like. As for me, you will never see me smoke one of RP cigars. Tried too many on that list and IMHO they are crap.
I have heard many people say the exact same thing about Don Pepin & Jaime's cigars. 100 brands, all taste the same, etc. Not trying to argue with you, Bill, just saying that most of it is a matter of personal preference. As for me, I'll take DPG all day over RP.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Was going to say the reason everyone seemed to like most of RPs earlier stuff was because AJ blended it. The reason why many of his cigars changed in profile......... Cause "the man" done left. :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Bill. There is no comparison to RP and Padron. For starters, RP purchases tobacco from multiple countries and tobacco growers(mostly from Nestor Plesencia). Padron owns their own farm and grows their own tobacco. As a buyer, Rocky is able to maintain more control with what he buys. Padron has total control of everything they do.

I personally am a fan of several Patel lines. I have no reason to bash Patel or his lineups. (I've been to his plant a couple times and I've been to the Padron plant. I heard Steve Saka cleared up that bullshit and I'm glad, the dye rumor has gone on for many years. I went out of my way not to open that thread) I'll always focus on discussing what RP I do like. But there are more Patel sticks that I could care less to smoke(99% of all the online exclusives. While quality control is the same on the exclusives, the quality of the tobacco isn't), than those I love to smoke. I cannot say that with Padron. I can say I love seven of the Patel lineups, that would be seven out of one hundred lineups then. I love four of Padron lineups, that would be four out of his four lineups. Less is more works well with Padron, because the fewer line ups they do have are all top notch. One could complain that Padron doesn't have a large variety of lineups, but that carries NO weight as opposed to complaining about the quality and integrity of the cigar itself.

If there is any beef I have, it's seeing a premium RP brand which will go for such and such $$ in the B&Ms. Then, you'll see the same stick online for a fraction of the such and such price. It has to be frustrating for the B&Ms, but whatever. This beef is nothing I care to go out of my way to rant about on the Internet.

Last edited:

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
And every cigar on that list is crap. Enjoy them if you like them. I hear Funkejj loves them all though.
Why are they crap because you don't enjoy them? Or because they aren't on the cool list of cigars to smoke? In a blind taste test could you pick them out among other cigars?

Curious as too why you think they are crap?