What's new

Rocky Patel Cigars...

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i think the real argument or disdain that certain smokers have for rocky is what he represents in the cigar industry. To me at least, he is an ambassador of this industry. He is the original marketing genius. He has a large market share. Like it or not, he is successful in this industry. His sticks are arguably the first serious cigar a beginner tries on his journey.

Rockey doesnt make his cigars. He also dyes his wrappers like AB. Among other shortcuts taken, certain smokers may not feel that Rockey is the true representation of our culture.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
To those who enjoy the Vintage 90s/92s...

Is it true that the much cheaper Vintage 2nd's are exactly the same? Like, if you didn't know, you couldn't tell?

I've had some bad experiences with 2nd's being, well, absolutely nothing like firsts. But I hear many people saying this one is a big exception.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
To those who enjoy the Vintage 90s/92s...

Is it true that the much cheaper Vintage 2nd's are exactly the same? Like, if you didn't know, you couldn't tell?

I've had some bad experiences with 2nd's being, well, absolutely nothing like firsts. But I hear many people saying this one is a big exception.
I had a Vintage 2nd, and I enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed Vintage 90s. Which is to say: not very much, unfortunately.

That probably wasn't very helpful, was it?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Most of his stuff I can take or leave, but I like the Decades, and I loved the R4 I had a couple of year ago...

I have a decade in one of my tupperdores. It's a big torp, so I'll wait for nicer weather to burn it.

R4's are a bundle smoke, aren't they?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the sungrown, and the edge maduro and corojo are both in my regular rotation. This is only because I work in a small small shop with little back stock and we've got two bins full of edges

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't relate to the emotional attachment to, or aversion against, cigar brands. It doesn't bother me if someone makes money selling cigars I don't like; more power to them! I'm glad we have a lot of choices, and I'm glad the market decides winners and losers. "Let a thousand flowers bloom."

I haven't tried very many RP blends, but I do like the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 - I find it smooth, sweet, and rich, with a hint of chocolate. It's a staple of my guest humidor - very approachable for my non-cigar-enthusiast friends, and also one that I'm happy to smoke with them.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Is there a list somewhere of all of the different blenders and factories that manufacture RPs?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've had a couple RP's that I've enjoyed, but his cigars seem to be a bit overpriced. I've wanted to try his 15th, but I can't bring myself to pay the extremely high price that the local's seem to want.

As far as a lack of quality in his construction, that's BS, at least in his higher lines. If you don't like his cigars, that's fine, there are many cigars that guys on here praise that make me roll my eyes. I'm not about to put down their choice in a cigar though, simply because I personally feel they make better compost than smokes. Cigars are such an extremely personal choice that there is no "right" choice, and I actually mean that.

*shrugs* Smoke what you like, and to hell with anybody that looks down on you because of your choice. If they are that worried about what other people are smoking, they have a lot of other issues to deal with. Screw'em