What's new

Rocky Patel Cigars...

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've enjoyed the 1990 but wouldn't search them out. Recently had a four year old decade....meh

But in all fairness it was not my flavor profile and can see why people enjoy it.

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
Of the many varieties listed (as with some of my fellow posters) I can pick a few from the list that I have enjoyed. Specifically, I like the Patel Bros and the 1961's. I have tried the Edge Maduro and Sumatra and the were just "OK". I have tried a few others, as well, but nothing that has been memorable; or, that I would seek out for purchase.

Given the above, I do not stock any RP's in my humidor; they are not a part of my regular rotation. I find it difficult to choose from a list of nearly 100 varieties. I liken it to a restaurant with too many items on the menu; or, an author that writes a book a month (James Patterson).

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
RP like many others is the White Elephant in the room of the aging cigar smoker.
It is in the party of cigars most of started out on untill our knowledge of finer tobacco and quality came about "Higher End Cigars". When I first started smoking cigars seriously I started out on the Edge lights, to the Edge, to the 1990. In fact When I first started out on BOTL I bombed these type of smokes to brothers thinking I was sending something good only to find out later they didn't care for Patel and the likes. I felt like a shmuck when I found that out but after a year of being on BOTL and leaning what other quality stuff was out there, I understood why.
With that being said, it's fair to say he has his market base. It's just easy to forget once your pallat has moved up an onward. I still have a couple Edge Lights I hang onto as my "Cold" smokes though. Seems they agree with me when I'm stuffed up and throat is sore...plus I don't feel like burning something I truely like if I'm not feeling good.
The bottom line is smoke what you like and don't hate. We've all been there and done that. If you can find one cigar from a whole line then the maker has done his job to provide.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Threads like this just kind of peave me just a bit. Don't get me wrong... I'm not a RP fanboy or anything but I really like some of his
smokes. I like the Vintage Series, Decade, Edge Sumatra, etc. I just don't understand why somebody would go out of there way to
create this post just because they don't agree with how the man does business. Yes he has a LOT of lines... but that works for
them and there is fellow BOTL's out there that like them. A lot of those lines are exclusive to a retailer and are an inexpensive smoke.
I'm thankful that there are folks out there making smokes that are of decent quality for a decent price point as I can't afford to
constantly spend $7 or more for a smoke. Note that I didn't say 'great' quality. I agree that alot of his lines aren't great... but
that majority of them aren't priced to be great smokes.

Last but not least... my momma always said "If you don't have something nice to say about somebody don't say anything at all."

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Threads like this just kind of peave me just a bit. Don't get me wrong... I'm not a RP fanboy or anything but I really like some of his
smokes. I like the Vintage Series, Decade, Edge Sumatra, etc. I just don't understand why somebody would go out of there way to
create this post just because they don't agree with how the man does business. Yes he has a LOT of lines... but that works for
them and there is fellow BOTL's out there that like them. A lot of those lines are exclusive to a retailer and are an inexpensive smoke.
I'm thankful that there are folks out there making smokes that are of decent quality for a decent price point as I can't afford to
constantly spend $7 or more for a smoke. Note that I didn't say 'great' quality. I agree that alot of his lines aren't great... but
that majority of them aren't priced to be great smokes.

Last but not least... my momma always said "If you don't have something nice to say about somebody don't say anything at all."
This.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I enjoy the sun growns. But as a relative noob, getting more exposed to boutique and higher quality cigars makes it difficult to spend alot of money on "2nd tier" cigars. I would much rather have one LP than 2 RP's CAO, etc. That, and forums that disparage certain makers create a certain bias.

Gurkha thread resurrecting in 3, 2, 1......

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Why are they crap because you don't enjoy them? Or because they aren't on the cool list of cigars to smoke? In a blind taste test could you pick them out among other cigars?

Curious as too why you think they are crap?
I don't do the "Cool Cigar " thing. As I said in my post earlier smoke what you like. Don't smoke what you dont like. RP had a good thing going with AJ. Since then his Cigars taste the same and leave a bad taste in my mouth. Yes the finish is bad. Yes, I know several manufacturers have been accused of the same thing.

His cigars are poorly made and overpriced. Thus the crap comment. And folks have tried to do blind taste tests with me and everytime I have rated RP Cigars way low. Why, because the cigars are poorly made, have a bad taste and are better suited for someone else. At one point, I even enjoyed the Cuban Belnd Belicoso, but since AJ has nothing to do with RP's manufacturing, they even taste bad. And yes, I even tried Nish's attempt at a cigar. Didn't like it.

I, like you and everyone is entitled to their own opinion which you may or may not agree with. I choose to spend my money on good cigars rather tha crap. And I've done enough reviews, both blind tasting and regular ones to know what flavors, construction, cost, etc I like and I don't like. Just like comparing two different companies lines/brands of cigars is unfair. You cannot compare apples to oranges.

As for being a "cool cigar" or "fanboy", I smoke many different brands and keep those I enjoy in my rotation for buying and smoking. With 1400 brands worldwide, it sure gives us all something for each of us to enjoy, smoke, spend money on and support.

By the way, people are entitled to their opinion. You do not have to agree with their opinion, but should be respectful. When disagreeing, you should also show some respect. It is not "bashing" a brand to express why you do not care for their brand.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just don't understand why somebody would go out of there way to create this post just because they don't agree with how the man does business.
Guess I'm just an awful person.

I'm thankful that there are folks out there making smokes that are of decent quality for a decent price point as I can't afford to constantly spend $7 or more for a smoke.
Don't know where you buy your cigars but I can find hundreds of great cigars for under $5.00 a piece.

Welcome to the internet :)

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The brand bashing doesn't sit real well with me, either. I don't buy RP's anymore. I don't buy Gurkha anymore. Still, it annoys me that people want to bash entire lines that they don't like.

I could list the reasons that I've soured on RP's,

but much more important to ME:

For one of RP's Honduras trips last year, he (along with a local B&M) FULLY sponsored a bunch of 'senior' veterans from local American Legion to go along. You know, those FOGs were still talking about that trip daily a year later. I tip my hat to the man. Give me an Edge Corojo, please.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So let's review:

RP = good for the golf course, good for newbies, has a few decent sticks available.

All other manufacturers = Take your pick and smoke what you like!

:eyepoke:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brand bashing doesn't sit real well with me, either. I don't buy RP's anymore. I don't buy Gurkha anymore. Still, it annoys me that people want to bash entire lines that they don't like.

I could list the reasons that I've soured on RP's,

but much more important to ME:

For one of RP's Honduras trips last year, he (along with a local B&M) FULLY sponsored a bunch of 'senior' veterans from local American Legion to go along. You know, those FOGs were still talking about that trip daily a year later. I tip my hat to the man. Give me an Edge Corojo, please.
Yeah, I for one don't get the whole RP aversion BOTL seems to have. Its fine to not like a brand if you've tried them all and hated them all, but I doubt most can say that. Personally, I've tried almost every Drew Estate (save for some of the extremely hard to find Subcultures), and I can count on one hand how many sticks I would actually buy again, one I've bought a box of. I've tried maybe 10 sticks on the OP list. 2 I've liked enough to buy boxes of, the rest were 'meh'. And I'm sure I'll get my hands on the rest at some point to try for myself.

But I won't go around bashing either brand. That's just close-minded thing to do.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
So people are not allowed to give their opinions about cigars or brands? And if you do, it is called bashing? If you do, you are close minded? Sorry, i don't understand that.

Once again, if I offer an opinion about a brand or cigar, it is my opinion. You either agree with it or you don't. But you should respect someone else's opinion.

There are plenty of cigars and brands that I don't like. Hell, Pete even made a some cigars that I can't stand, like Ambos Mundos. Not my cup of tea. So, if I give my opinion about that cigar, I am bashing it? Sorry I don't think so.

Sorry to side track the thread, but open your mind folks. For what its worth, Thanks Nickerson for doing the list. Those that like RP probably will enjoy having a list of his lines.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was a reply to me, way to misinterpret.

Disliking and criticizing is perfectly fine. I don't think anyone said otherwise. The manner in which it's done is what's called in to question. I've stated once on these boards that I liked the RP 1961 and one response was literally " lol, what a trash brand. Here let me suggest some good cigars". The inference there was that my taste in cigars was bad.

This thread is viewed more as a 'look at all these terrible cigars' rather than a genuine criticism of a brand. I seriously doubt anyone here has tried all of those sticks. If the OP has, I stand corrected, but he should probably say something along the lines of 'I've tried them all and I can't say I like a single one.'

That's a perfectly fine way of criticizing something.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
If that was a reply to me, way to misinterpret.

Disliking and criticizing is perfectly fine. I don't think anyone said otherwise. The manner in which it's done is what's called in to question. I've stated once on these boards that I liked the RP 1961 and one response was literally " lol, what a trash brand. Here let me suggest some good cigars". The inference there was that my taste in cigars was bad.

This thread is viewed more as a 'look at all these terrible cigars' rather than a genuine criticism of a brand. I seriously doubt anyone here has tried all of those sticks. If the OP has, I stand corrected, but he should probably say something along the lines of 'I've tried them all and I can't say I like a single one.'

That's a perfectly fine way of criticizing something.
Actually my post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Just making a point. I have tried at least 85% of RP's cigars and I stand firm on my opinion about his brand. Not for me. I'm not even sure the original thread maker made the list to bash. I believe he was posting a list of RP's cigars. Enough said on this. Let's get back on topic, so this does not become a debate. Thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm just an awful person.

Agreed, 100%

Don't know where you buy your cigars but I can find hundreds of great cigars for under $5.00 a piece.

Please start a new thread and list Hundreds of great cigars under $5

Welcome to the internet :)
Right back at you ;)

Last edited:

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I don't care what anybody says. I love his Edge Sumatra, and I'm trying
to track down an Edicion Unica. No one in metro Atlanta carries them
that I know of.

Another sleeper in the Rocky line is his Decade "Tubo". According to a
knowledgeable local tobacconist. The tubo's are based on the original
blend. (unlike the regular production). It was actually good, but I love that
sumatra toro! Just don't have any space for a crate!

The old Nicarao's were good too! (Before he sold the line) and I also have
enjoyed his bundle R4 robusto's... That's about it for me.