What's new

Rum-What should I try?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I asked for rum recommendations here a while back, and bought a bottle of Appleton Estate V/X as a result. I thought it was great. I prefer rum plain with just a little ice, and the V/X was perfect for sipping. I just finished the bottle, and I'm going to try a more expensive bottle next. The great thing about rum (besides being delicious) is that it seems to be relatively cheap compared to other premium spirits.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I asked for rum recommendations here a while back, and bought a bottle of Appleton Estate V/X as a result. I thought it was great. I prefer rum plain with just a little ice, and the V/X was perfect for sipping. I just finished the bottle, and I'm going to try a more expensive bottle next. The great thing about rum (besides being delicious) is that it seems to be relatively cheap compared to other premium spirits.
The Appleton 12 year is a staple in my home, it's hard to beat!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My trip to the DR introduced me to Brugal Rum their dark aged rums are very good. The Anejo is 5 years old, and the Extra Viejo is 8 years old, both are very smooth. I also have to agree that Appleton's 12 year old is a great choice.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Wow, you guys are a plethora of information.

Thanks for the guidance.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I don't drink Rum all that often, but if you can get it Havana Club 15 (250.00 to 350.00 a bottle) it is worth the price.

I drink Scotch and red wine more often.
I had some of the Havana Club 15 year this summer, and it was excellent! Havana Club 7 year is my go-to rum, and it's about a tenth of the price of the 15. Also good are Ron Zacapa 23, Pyrat, and even Captain Morgan's Private Stock (a bit sweet, but very smooth).

I am by no means a rum expert, tho.

TYLER

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Me go-to is actually the Varadero 7 years Añejo (Cuban and, in me humble opinion, better than Havana Club).

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Here is another real strong recommendation for Ron Zacapa 23yr I just bought some this week and drank some last night. It's soo smooth that I think we might have a problem here folks.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Where do you guys find good rum? I've checked a few stores locally, and while they have other premium spirits, the best rum they have is Appleton Estate V/X. I'm sure somebody in Madison has a decent rum selection, but I haven't found it yet. I'll order online if I have to, but waiting around to sign for the package is a pain.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Where do you guys find good rum? I've checked a few stores locally, and while they have other premium spirits, the best rum they have is Appleton Estate V/X. I'm sure somebody in Madison has a decent rum selection, but I haven't found it yet. I'll order online if I have to, but waiting around to sign for the package is a pain.
Well, I doubt me local liquor stores could help ye out...

As for online, I'd suggest:
Sam's Wines and Spirits
Shoppers Vineyard

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You should check out Goslings Black Seal. It is a great Bermudian rum. If you like aged rums try the Goslings Old rum. It is delicious. Also, Goslings Rum is the best to make Dark and Stormys!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Goslings is awesome rum. I'd always buy that when mixing instead of Captain Morgan. The Black Seal dark rum has pretty strong vanilla note to it if I remember correctly. I haven't had that stuff in at least 3-4 years now.