What's new

Rum-What should I try?

Rating - 96%
34   1   0
Are you talking about the old Zaya (Guatemala) or new Zaya (Trinidad)? I've heard mixed reviews about the new stuff so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's still good.

If you like Zaya then I would definitely recommend Ron Zacapa 23.
I will be on the look out for some Ron Zacapa 23. I'm not sure that I've seen it in the store before

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
found some Matusalem and Havana Club 7 yr. Gonna pick up some bottles later today, I think.

Alfonso, I generally drink the Bacardi with coke, not straight. Not to everyone's taste, but the same goes for some sticks too, right. heh. I'm excited to try the Matusalem now.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
...Alfonso, I generally drink the Bacardi with coke, not straight. Not to everyone's taste, but the same goes for some sticks too, right. heh. I'm excited to try the Matusalem now.
I see. The darkrum I always have sipped, so that might be the reason. Bacardi is, after all, the rum for coke.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm just getting into the art of sipping and tasting the dark rums now. I used to be a bacardi white drinker. Then discovered Lamb's Palm Breeze. Have progressively found new ones that have more flavour and depth though, which is why I am excited about the Matusalem. BOTLs like you talking it up have laid out some high expectations for me. I am sure it won't disappoint.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be on the look out for some Ron Zacapa 23. I'm not sure that I've seen it in the store before
They don't carry it in NC (damn you ABC store!) but I procured a bottle from South Carolina. In some ways it's very similar to the Zaya and I think you may really like its flavor profile.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Appleton Rum. Jamaica's finest.

Go for the V/X ($20) or the Reserve ($15)

Mix with coke or diet coke and enjoy. One of my favorite drinks out there.

You know i wouldnt' stear you wrong bro!
I just got some of this on sale..the V/X for $15. Normally $25 around here. I had never had it before so the wife and I sipped a small glass, and were surprised by the bite, but the flavors were great. We ended up making some of the best Cuba Libres we've ever had. CL's with Diet Coke are awesome, as rum and lime tend to have enough sweetness and sugar for me. The bite in this bottle goes great with a mixture, and the rum is not lost in the mixer.

Another thumbs up for thisone...and the bottle looks really good as well.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I had never tried this rum before Hal Rubin, the owner of Empire Cigars, had it a couple of weeks ago at his Pepin Event....

Zaya 12 Year Rum Trinidad

Handcrafted and distilled from pure virgin sugar cane, Zaya is blended from several Trinidad rums and aged in oak barriques for 12 years. A deep mahogany hue with touches of auburn and gold leading into a fragrant nose of alluring vanilla, warm butterscotch, brown sugar and maple. A smooth, velvety texture on the palate with nutty, buttery, caramel-like flavors. As scrumptious as an X.O. cognac - it's like driving a Maserati for the price of a Fiat.

....in my opinion it went great with all the Pepin cigars....with just a couple of ice cubes in the glass, you would not went to ruin this rum by mixing it with anything!

I think it's selling for $40.00 in NC but so it on the internet for as low as $29.99 and as high as $50.00.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Zaya was a nice rum when made in Guatemala. Not up to par since the name was bought & operation moved to Trinidad. I really like Diplimatico Reserva Especiale from Venezuela. It's a sweeter rum & very smooth.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
found some Matusalem and Havana Club 7 yr. Gonna pick up some bottles later today, I think.

Alfonso, I generally drink the Bacardi with coke, not straight. Not to everyone's taste, but the same goes for some sticks too, right. heh. I'm excited to try the Matusalem now.
You might find some old bottle of Cuban Matusalem around. Check the label closely. The new stuff is made in DR or PR- I forget. The Cuban Matusalem now goes under the name of Ron Santiago.

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Had the Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 yr. on Saturday. I looked all over the metroplex, and bought the only two bottles I found! Very good, and a good sipper as well!