What's new

Savinelli One 601?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Guys,

So I think I'll take the plunge on my first briar. I've got a bunch of corn cobs right now. I like them a lot but I want to see what a briar is all about.

I've been eyeing the One in 601 shape. Unfortunately I can't go and see these in person so online will have to do.

For those who've used it, what do you guys think of that model and shape?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bowl seems large enough for a decent smoke - it's light enough - not too long - can use a filter if you like - it's a Sav - and it comes with a cool pouch!! What's not to love?

Lol! You know I like my Savs. I just ordered my third tonight for the love of Pete!!

I don't have any that shape to compare to - so I am of no use there. But I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'll be interested to hear what others think.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sorry, I de-railed, so back to the Savinelli One 601.....
$92.00 and some freebies!? Beauty of a pipe. Got the money, don't waste your time and just get it. Remember, YOU DON'T need to smoke them with the filters either. That's all personal preference. All of my pipes, I smoke them as I purchased them. So it doesn't bother me as I smoke with and without the filters.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yea 92 is steep for me too but I have a 10% off one time use coupon from tobaccopipes.com....

I have to leave for a training for work next week. I may order it when I'm there so it's waiting for me when I get home. We'll see. Not sure if the lady would be too happy with me spending that much on a pipe. She thinks pipes are 6 bucks (my corn cobs :) )

Anyone have any thoughts on that 601 shape?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
The shape will really come down to personal preference. If it speaks to you, get it. Of all my Savinelli, none have ever treated me wrong. (Really, though, I'm still new to this so what do I know) I would say you're safe with that bend as far as passing a pipe cleaner. Should pass fine. (if you smoke it without the filter and want to absorb some moisture mid smoke) and I like a little bend in mine to keep what moisture does build up in the bowl instead of my mouth.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The shape will really come down to personal preference. If it speaks to you, get it. Of all my Savinelli, none have ever treated me wrong. (Really, though, I'm still new to this so what do I know) I would say you're safe with that bend as far as passing a pipe cleaner. Should pass fine. (if you smoke it without the filter and want to absorb some moisture mid smoke) and I like a little bend in mine to keep what moisture does build up in the bowl instead of my mouth.
I have to agree with @cgraunke on this one as well. His suggestion is on point.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
As far as the $92 (or in your case, $82.80) a Savinelli is really a solid choice, IMO, especially for your first briar.
Everyone's finances are different, but if you can swing it and it will make you happy, the Sav won't steer you wrong.
To me, the pipe smoking experience goes beyond just the tobacco, and also envelopes the feeling you get just picking your pipe, the routines you develop, the admiration for what is truly a piece of art.
It's so much more than just "smoking."
In regards to justification, both for you and the little lady, I'll say this: That $82 is six to eight decent cigars from the B&M. Pipe tobacco is pennies on the dollar compared to your cigars, just needing that initial investment. Once you buy it, if properly maintained, it will last not only your lifetime, but could possibly make it through generations to come. Your cobs eventually need to be replaced, whether they burn out or sour. They're great smokes, but they are essentially disposable. (That said, a great investment for your cob smoking pleasure is at least one "Forever Stem" from Walker Briar Works. $20 will change the way you view a corn cob pipe. Oh, and make sure you're buying Missouri Meerschaum cobs, not cheap Chinese crap. World of difference.)
Be warned, though. Once you are entranced by this first Sav, it will have you looking at other shapes in the same finish, or other finishes in the same shape, then other pipe factories, and then one-off and custom artist pieces.
Pace yourself!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ha! Thanks so much for the insight!
I have no choice but to pace myself. Not exactly rolling in dough!

I think I'll purchase it mid next week so it's waiting for me when I get back so I can break her in!
I've read a little about breaking in a briar but am still kind of lost. Anywhere definitive i can look to read about breaking these bad boys in? Would hate to ruin it.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Amen @cgraunke !! I'll tell you my very first pipe was a Dr. Grabow, but not even a week later I stopped in to my local B&M and got schooled on Piping 101 from the shop manager. I asked about the pipes he had for sale at the time. He showed me the Savinelli's and highly recommended them. I did pay a couple dollars more than I would on-line for it, but then again I would've been nailed for that in shipping. I don't regret any of it. And I love the pipe.

My only on-line pipe purchase was the Eric Nording Signature freehand pipe. All of the others I now have, were in my hand before buying to see if I really would like it or not plus to see how it would fit in my big hands.

Basically, I see the pipe as an investment. And if you take care of it, then it'll take care of you with a great smoking experience.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
ha! Thanks so much for the insight!
I have no choice but to pace myself. Not exactly rolling in dough!

I think I'll purchase it mid next week so it's waiting for me when I get back so I can break her in!
I've read a little about breaking in a briar but am still kind of lost. Anywhere definitive i can look to read about breaking these bad boys in? Would hate to ruin it.
The slope of piping can and will get slippery. I see this as a different and cheaper route to smoking so to speak. Depending on your blends you like or want to try, I see it even cheaper than cigars too. With pipes though, you can put down the pipe, take care of whatever you're doing and come back to it later to finish smoking. As with a cigar you probably won't do that and maybe even get different tastes or just give up on it all together. Don't rush your collection. Slowly but surely you'll build up as time goes on and your budget allows.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The slope of piping can and will get slippery. I see this as a different and cheaper route to smoking so to speak. Depending on your blends you like or want to try, I see it even cheaper than cigars too. With pipes though, you can put down the pipe, take care of whatever you're doing and come back to it later to finish smoking. As with a cigar you probably won't do that and maybe even get different tastes or just give up on it all together. Don't rush your collection. Slowly but surely you'll build up as time goes on and your budget allows.
Do you knock off the top portion of the ash when you know you need to walk away for a while? I've never actually done that and didn't realize I could. That's pretty amazing!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the $92 (or in your case, $82.80) a Savinelli is really a solid choice, IMO, especially for your first briar.
Everyone's finances are different, but if you can swing it and it will make you happy, the Sav won't steer you wrong.
To me, the pipe smoking experience goes beyond just the tobacco, and also envelopes the feeling you get just picking your pipe, the routines you develop, the admiration for what is truly a piece of art.
It's so much more than just "smoking."
In regards to justification, both for you and the little lady, I'll say this: That $82 is six to eight decent cigars from the B&M. Pipe tobacco is pennies on the dollar compared to your cigars, just needing that initial investment. Once you buy it, if properly maintained, it will last not only your lifetime, but could possibly make it through generations to come. Your cobs eventually need to be replaced, whether they burn out or sour. They're great smokes, but they are essentially disposable. (That said, a great investment for your cob smoking pleasure is at least one "Forever Stem" from Walker Briar Works. $20 will change the way you view a corn cob pipe. Oh, and make sure you're buying Missouri Meerschaum cobs, not cheap Chinese crap. World of difference.)
Be warned, though. Once you are entranced by this first Sav, it will have you looking at other shapes in the same finish, or other finishes in the same shape, then other pipe factories, and then one-off and custom artist pieces.
Pace yourself!
This?! This coming from the guy who says he can't write anything but a crappy tobacco review?!?

Dude! Just reading that makes me love piping that much more... Man are you ever full of it lol!!

Ok - so that all said. I have bought my third Sav but that's because I have some disposable cash laying about.

Know this - a lot of anything in a hobby has some drawbacks. As the saying goes - be wary of the guy with one gun. He might know how to use it.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
You'll hear different schools of thought on "break in."
Some will say you have to smoke through different portions of the bowl (full bowl, 3/4, 1/2 bowl, 1/4) to develop a good cake. "Breaking in" is essentially building a protective cake on the bowl, keeping the briar cooler and drier.
It seems many will gravitate to a good Burley blend for this as it develops a nice cake.
Others will say quit worrying so much about it, just pack it and light it. I'm of that camp.
As long as you clean it well and give it proper down time between smokes, you'll be fine. Look at it like this; our grandfathers didn't pour over their pipe smoking on internet forums. We tend to over-think things at times. They smoked their pipes to the point of having so much cake that the bowl was closing up, then they got rid of it and bought a new one at the local drug store. And you can still find and buy those estates, clean 'em up, and smoke em good as new. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any "new age" pipe smoker ever letting his pipes get to that point. Personally, I run pipe cleaners through the airway and around the inside of the bowl after every smoke, basically preventing any true cake formation. I guess I just like my belongings to stay "new" as long as possible. But I'm now working with enough of a rotation that they get plenty of rest between smokes so I really don't worry about stressing the briar.
The take away from all this?
Just smoke your pipe, enjoy it, don't let it get all nasty.
Everything else is just what you make of it. Part of your routine if you enjoy it, a headache you can leave aside if you don't.
Bottom line really is the enjoyment. No stress. You can't really screw it up too bad, and anything you think you do screw up, someone here can help you remedy!