What's new

Savinelli One 601?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You'll hear different schools of thought on "break in."
Some will say you have to smoke through different portions of the bowl (full bowl, 3/4, 1/2 bowl, 1/4) to develop a good cake. "Breaking in" is essentially building a protective cake on the bowl, keeping the briar cooler and drier.
It seems many will gravitate to a good Burley blend for this as it develops a nice cake.
Others will say quit worrying so much about it, just pack it and light it. I'm of that camp.
As long as you clean it well and give it proper down time between smokes, you'll be fine. Look at it like this; our grandfathers didn't pour over their pipe smoking on internet forums. We tend to over-think things at times. They smoked their pipes to the point of having so much cake that the bowl was closing up, then they got rid of it and bought a new one at the local drug store. And you can still find and buy those estates, clean 'em up, and smoke em good as new. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any "new age" pipe smoker ever letting his pipes get to that point. Personally, I run pipe cleaners through the airway and around the inside of the bowl after every smoke, basically preventing any true cake formation. I guess I just like my belongings to stay "new" as long as possible. But I'm now working with enough of a rotation that they get plenty of rest between smokes so I really don't worry about stressing the briar.
The take away from all this?
Just smoke your pipe, enjoy it, don't let it get all nasty.
Everything else is just what you make of it. Part of your routine if you enjoy it, a headache you can leave aside if you don't.
Bottom line really is the enjoyment. No stress. You can't really screw it up too bad, and anything you think you do screw up, someone here can help you remedy!
Awesome post! Thank you!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for a $100 pipe being pricey, divide that cost into the average lifespan of a briar pipe... Ends up being not a bad deal at all.
If you smoked it every other day for one year only ~$0.55 a smoke. Once every other day for 20 years ~ $0.03 a smoke.

Yup - pretty cheap. But saving the $100... well it's less than a coffee a day lol! Man I hate that "less than a coffee a day" pitch lol!!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It's funny, I have no problem dropping $8 or $9 on a cigar when I go out with friends so why do I hesitate on spending $150 on a pipe? As SeaGar pointed out above, if you translate it to a per-smoke cost, 15 cigars would buy me a pipe that will last me hundreds upon hundreds of smokes.

But, yeah, still need to save that money up.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've been buying Savinellis since the early 80's and bought 2 more last year...they just smoke like a dream and even though it's hard to throw down a c note what you get in return is worth it 10 times over.
I reach for my Savinelli lately more than my other 5 pipes in my budding collection....I absolutely love it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
DO IT! DO IT! What are you waiting for!? LOL.
I know! What the hell am I waiting for?

Maybe I'll have a few tonight and order her up :)

I've got this dick upstairs neighbor who always leaves his balcony door open and bitches every time I smoke. I think that may be why. It's uncomfortable to smoke most days. Don't want to get a real nice pipe and not be able to fully enjoy it cuz of that clown.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I know! What the hell am I waiting for?

Maybe I'll have a few tonight and order her up :)

I've got this dick upstairs neighbor who always leaves his balcony door open and bitches every time I smoke. I think that may be why. It's uncomfortable to smoke most days. Don't want to get a real nice pipe and not be able to fully enjoy it cuz of that clown.
Two words: Fuck him!!! ...and his stupid whining.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Two words: Fuck him!!! ...and his stupid whining.
I guess you're right, fuck that guy! but I know i'll still feel awkward smoking while knowing im pissing someone off that I see daily....

I usually put out my corn cob when i hear him bitching and i go back inside. i usually get to it later in the night when that douche bag is sleeping. but i don't want to consistently do that with my nice pipe. it's something I'd like to fully enjoy.