What's new

Shelves & Draws! Question

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man Smoq you are awesome for setting up that meeting. I am definitely in need of drawers and I will gladly be the first customer of his. Looking forward to hearing how your meeting goes. I'm sure if he starts into this he will be busy real quick.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
My meeting with the aforementioned woodworker last night was great. I saw his shop (spotless, though he had done a bunch of work in it that day) which was located in his very large garage. My first impression was that he REALLY cares about his stuff, and anything he sends someone. He's a retired wood worker turned super engineer (in his work life). He is particular. He knows his name is going on something when he makes it, and he knows that if it is good or great, someone may talk about it to others. He also knows that if what he gives a customer is NOT great, they will tell everyone, and will do so until they feel better.

I viewed several of his desktop humidors which were first class, each with a perfect seal (that "whoosh" occurred every time I dropped a lid onto the body of one of his desktops) and priced all were priced modestly.

We talked drawers and shelves for the Newair 280 and 281 (cgraunke and I met up beforehand so he could give me a set of 281 drawers for reference). He had many very specific comments about the low cost shelves and drawers, most of which was not favorable.
He can do better. (a lot better) IMO.

I ordered one shelf and one drawer to start (yep, I'm paying full price so I can comment as any person would that paid money for a product) ~ I'll have them next week.

My take away:

- He's really good (meticulous)at what he does ~ you could probably expect such from a retired engineer.
- Shelves and Drawers are going to cost more, but the quality will be better and folks will receive them on time.
- He's a stickler for finishing on time or ahead of schedule and won't sacrifice quality just to get something out the door sooner.
- If he can sense that he needs to flip the sign to "closed" for a bit to ensure quality and get products to people in the time expected, he'll do so.

I'll report back next week with pics.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Great work Joel! After waiting 12 weeks mine finally arrived, and I had to do some heavy sanding to two of the drawers because they didn't fit the spots in the winecooler! There is a HUGE place for some quality competition!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Great work Joel! After waiting 12 weeks mine finally arrived, and I had to do some heavy sanding to two of the drawers because they didn't fit the spots in the winecooler! There is a HUGE place for some quality competition!
^^^ + THIS +
I've still got sanding to do on my second set to get them to fit, but I wasn't about to wait on replacements AGAIN.
(And twelve weeks sounds like a win compared to some)

Thanks, Joel, for finding a potential option and working out the details!

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
^^^ + THIS +
I've still got sanding to do on my second set to get them to fit, but I wasn't about to wait on replacements AGAIN.
(And twelve weeks sounds like a win compared to some)

Thanks, Joel, for finding a potential option and working out the details!
I thought I was the only one that had this issue.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Hold on now. I've only met the guy, seen his work, talk to him and got my own impression from him so far..... I'll have a drawer and a shelf next week to try out… And then I'll let you know what "my" impression has been.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drawers and shelves finally arrived on 7/15. It was a 16 week wait but they fit fine and I am seasoning them now. I would definately look for new options if I ever need more.