What's new

Show us your latest leaf purchase

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That old chaveta looks pretty sweet.
I love it, but it makes for an awkward casquillo.
So you already have the Corojo "oscuro" wrapper?
The oscuro, no, although Don put in a sample of the Ec corona! I'm sort of starting all over; I wanted to handle some filler I could trust would be properly cased, as well as a minimal set of primings of leaves most agree work well together for focused blending experiments. I got back to this point thanks to that massive grab-bag you set me up with 4 years ago and I'm pretty familiar with and fond of the Ec shade and especially Honduran Hab wrappers. So the Corojos are more of a fresh start "control group" to compare with a blend I've arrived at painstakingly yet randomly. Know what I mean?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love it, but it makes for an awkward casquillo.

The oscuro, no, although Don put in a sample of the Ec corona! I'm sort of starting all over; I wanted to handle some filler I could trust would be properly cased, as well as a minimal set of primings of leaves most agree work well together for focused blending experiments. I got back to this point thanks to that massive grab-bag you set me up with 4 years ago and I'm pretty familiar with and fond of the Ec shade and especially Honduran Hab wrappers. So the Corojos are more of a fresh start "control group" to compare with a blend I've arrived at painstakingly yet randomly. Know what I mean?
Yeah I hear ya.

Though I don't remember the specifics of the grab bag, many of which I have sent out through the years.

If you're interested in my current blending attempts, please check out my blog.

And if you get low on Corojo fillers (not likely), let me know. I have too much.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the specifics of the grab bag
I've made two puros since I opened this box, the Nic and the C99 ligero and although I've come up with some tasty stuff with the old collection - I specifically started with these two because they appear to be the same priming, seed, and soil of leaves I already had - these taste like they were grown on another planet. SO good.
please check out my blog.
Religiously, sir. Got seriously back into the hobby just in time for an apparent break in your weekly YouTube vids heh - rarely actually log in there to comment, but put me down for "interested in bunching vids"

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've made two puros since I opened this box, the Nic and the C99 ligero and although I've come up with some tasty stuff with the old collection - I specifically started with these two because they appear to be the same priming, seed, and soil of leaves I already had - these taste like they were grown on another planet. SO good.

Religiously, sir. Got seriously back into the hobby just in time for an apparent break in your weekly YouTube vids heh - rarely actually log in there to comment, but put me down for "interested in bunching vids"
Ah yeah, bunching vids. The ugly stepchild who is secretly the most important member of the family...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@Jim D Will you be telling us later what your freebee is?
The Pelo d' Oro seco, I've not tried it yet but it sounds good....
I've had the LO Nic Condega so thought I'd try WLT offering.

I accidentally found that a combo of LO Nic Condega Ligero with LO "aged Nicaraguan Seco", bound with their Nicaraguan binder actually tastes very sweet, almost like its sweetened. Of course I only spritz with water so no sweetener was applied. Some times the wrapper kills the sweetness so I've started just double binding. The inner part with the thicker veins for the first binder, then the smoother part for a wrapper/double binder.

Thought I'd order the WLT Condega leaf and see what happens....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 8 bags of tobacco. I have rolled and smoked some cigars from blends of these leaves, but until now neglected to sample each leaf alone. Recently I dug out some Zig-zags, rolled eight small cigarettes and smoked the individual tobaccos. Here's what I tasted. All leaves are from LO, purchased in October and November 2020.

Candela wrapper - Grain like Ralston hot cereal, or maybe cooked bulgur. Mild, no spice. Not intrusive. As a wrapper, will let flavors from the filler and binder show through. I've read other posts saying that candela wrappers taste like grass, but that's not what I tasted. Grain, not grass. Very pleasant to my pallet.
San Andreas wrapper - Starts sweet, followed by medium chocolate. Slight spice, black pepper. Not super complex, but not one dimensional either. Comfortable. Better than I expected, frankly.

Nicaragua binder - Super mild blah flavor, maybe some milk chocolate, then a moderate-plus hit of spice that I didn't see coming. I like mild smoke, but for me the flavor of this leaf just isn't sufficiently interesting. I'm glad I have it though. Structurally it is a nice leaf and makes a good binder for me because it resists tearing and as a roller I'm still steep on the learning curve. However, I'll think twice about using the cutoff scraps as filler.

Indonesian Sumatra seco filler - Mushrooms, then milk chocolate followed by earthy compost. No spice. A super thin, tear prone leaf, otherwise I'd try it as a binder. Unique flavors to my liking...nicer than expected.
Honduras viso filler - Milk chocolate and that's about it. One dimensional. Like the Nic binder without spice. Disappointing to me, but your mileage may vary.
Honduras seco filler - Milk chocolate followed by English walnut, then cranberry. Way more complex and interesting than the Honduras viso. Very slight spice. Nice, especially if you like discovering nuts and fruits in your smoke.
Nicaragua Jalapa ligero filler - Dark chocolate. Moderate spice. Glad I got it so I can blend in a little spice with my other mild tobaccos.
Dominican Piloto seco - Mushroom, then orange peel, if you can believe that. Moderate-plus on my spice scale. I really like this leaf a lot and look forward to blending it with the Honduras seco and Indonesian Sumatra seco. Physically the leaf is in good shape and I've used some of the most intact leaves as a binder.

I've had some training as a coffee taster, but I don't claim to know what I'm talking about when it comes to tobacco, so take these reviews with a grain of salt. I'd be interested in hearing what you taste in your tobaccos.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I recently purchased 8 bags of tobacco. I have rolled and smoked some cigars from blends of these leaves, but until now neglected to sample each leaf alone. Recently I dug out some Zig-zags, rolled eight small cigarettes and smoked the individual tobaccos. Here's what I tasted. All leaves are from LO, purchased in October and November 2020.

Candela wrapper - Grain like Ralston hot cereal, or maybe cooked bulgur. Mild, no spice. Not intrusive. As a wrapper, will let flavors from the filler and binder show through. I've read other posts saying that candela wrappers taste like grass, but that's not what I tasted. Grain, not grass. Very pleasant to my pallet.
San Andreas wrapper - Starts sweet, followed by medium chocolate. Slight spice, black pepper. Not super complex, but not one dimensional either. Comfortable. Better than I expected, frankly.

Nicaragua binder - Super mild blah flavor, maybe some milk chocolate, then a moderate-plus hit of spice that I didn't see coming. I like mild smoke, but for me the flavor of this leaf just isn't sufficiently interesting. I'm glad I have it though. Structurally it is a nice leaf and makes a good binder for me because it resists tearing and as a roller I'm still steep on the learning curve. However, I'll think twice about using the cutoff scraps as filler.

Indonesian Sumatra seco filler - Mushrooms, then milk chocolate followed by earthy compost. No spice. A super thin, tear prone leaf, otherwise I'd try it as a binder. Unique flavors to my liking...nicer than expected.
Honduras viso filler - Milk chocolate and that's about it. One dimensional. Like the Nic binder without spice. Disappointing to me, but your mileage may vary.
Honduras seco filler - Milk chocolate followed by English walnut, then cranberry. Way more complex and interesting than the Honduras viso. Very slight spice. Nice, especially if you like discovering nuts and fruits in your smoke.
Nicaragua Jalapa ligero filler - Dark chocolate. Moderate spice. Glad I got it so I can blend in a little spice with my other mild tobaccos.
Dominican Piloto seco - Mushroom, then orange peel, if you can believe that. Moderate-plus on my spice scale. I really like this leaf a lot and look forward to blending it with the Honduras seco and Indonesian Sumatra seco. Physically the leaf is in good shape and I've used some of the most intact leaves as a binder.

I've had some training as a coffee taster, but I don't claim to know what I'm talking about when it comes to tobacco, so take these reviews with a grain of salt. I'd be interested in hearing what you taste in your tobaccos.
Very nice and helpful write-up, thanks for it.

My fave LO leaf is the PC Volado.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cibao Valley grown, PA Broadleaf seed. Unlike traditionally grown PA Broadleaf, this tobacco is primed and not stalk cured. This gives the tobacco a more distinct difference in primings compared to harvesting the entire plant and hanging it to cure. Naturally sweet with notes of molasses and black pepper, with hints of citrus and cedar.

https://i.imgur.com/a24kvGW.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cibao Valley grown, PA Broadleaf seed. Unlike traditionally grown PA Broadleaf, this tobacco is primed and not stalk cured. This gives the tobacco a more distinct difference in primings compared to harvesting the entire plant and hanging it to cure. Naturally sweet with notes of molasses and black pepper, with hints of citrus and cedar.

https://i.imgur.com/a24kvGW.jpg
Where did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
In the past after liking a blend, I waited so long to order more leaf, I couldn't get all the right stuff anymore.
Not this time, this time I have enough to last me a very long time. Some of you might roll this in a week...not me...20210702_201229.jpg
The wrapper will be changed over time, but the doll will be the same for some time...1 each corojo seco, viso, ligero fillers and a Nic Habano seco to bind...eagle eyed viewers will note the seco is cv corojo while the others are not...they were out of traditional corojo seco...hoping its close enough.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A few years ago I got a 1/4lb sample of "Nicaraguan CT Shade" wrapper from LO. I didn't like it. Had sort of a sweet fermenty vibe with the blends I used it with. So I stuck my remaining three leaves in the bottom of a box. Now yesterday I was wrapping some bunches and decided to pull out the last of that Nic CT wrapper. I did 5 sticks of it on my usual blend. Just smoked one and liked it a lot. Not floral or sweet or fruity or anything like that; sort of a hard-ish peppery pro CT Shade cigar flavor. Based on that one stick I just ordered a pound of the stuff. With shipping and the LO5 code it came to around $63. I'll probably have to rest this new pound for three years too, but it's worth it. CT Shade that satisfies is rare.