What's new

Show Us Your Latest Record Setup Purchase?

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I meant to ask; are you going to have that unit re-capped? Those old capacitors were never intended to last this long. Sure it may still function, but in my experience you'd be on borrowed time.
I've got an old H. H. Scott Stereomaster 342 from 1967 that works surprising well but hasn't yet been re-capped so I don't use it. I'd hate to blow it up. If you release the magic smoke it can be costly.
View attachment 92312
http://www.cathedralspeakers.com/scott342
I'd like the guys at Cathedral to go through it for me but they haven't found the time just yet.
You are speaking a foreign language to me lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are speaking a foreign language to me lol
Well, I know just enough on the topic to have this sort of work done by an expert. There's a handful of guys around the country who specialize in rebuilding vintage audio gear but the ones I know of having a waiting list sometimes 3+ years deep. :(
The gear from the 50's, 60's and early 70's is very well made and much more robust to the stuff made now, but as you know nothing last forever. The good news is the bad or obsolete bits can be replaced (by someone who understands such stuff) and these old warriors can live on for several more decades. (y):singing:

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Well, I know just enough on the topic to have this sort of work done by an expert. There's a handful of guys around the country who specialize in rebuilding vintage audio gear but the ones I know of having a waiting list sometimes 3+ years deep. :(
The gear from the 50's, 60's and early 70's is very well made and much more robust to the stuff made now, but as you know nothing last forever. The good news is the bad or obsolete bits can be replaced (by someone who understands such stuff) and these old warriors can live on for several more decades. (y):singing:
That makes more sense, honestly I picked this cabinet up so cheap that I will probably ride it until it goes and then if need I will fix it. I do plan on trying to find someone local to service it though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That makes more sense, honestly I picked this cabinet up so cheap that I will probably ride it until it goes and then if need I will fix it. I do plan on trying to find someone local to service it though.
One other thing I'll mention. Some of the capacitors on the power side on these old tube jobs can hold a lethal amount of juice and sometimes hold it longer than we might think. I say this in case you decide to go looking around on the chassis after its been powered up recently. Just because its unplugged doesn't mean it can't bite.
It would be interesting to know its tube compliment and if the old speakers use alnico magnets. Alnico is what we like to see but sometimes they need to be re-magnetized if they're old. There's an outfit in OKC that provides that service, FYI.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I love vintage electronics and it can a great bang for the buck and have had many pieces over the years. I finally stopped trying to upgrade about 8 years ago. I still have my system, but don't listen to it as much as I used to. I even sold my tube collection about a year ago for some unknown reason.
My system:
2 McIntosh MC40 mono tube amps ( fully serviced 5 years ago)
Conrad Johnson PV10A tube preamp
Altec Model 17 Studio Monitors with 604-8G driver and upgraded Markwardt crossovers
Technics SP25 turntable with Audio Technica ATP-12T tone arm and Denon 103R cartridge
Since the Denon is a low output cartridge I use a custom built Step Up transformer.
The Technics table is the commercial version of a SL1200 with an upgraded tonearm.

It really is a nice system, but I rarely heat up the tubes any more. Just lost the interest after a life changing event in 2011.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Nice bump, @irratebass!

Here’s how I’m sitting as of right now.

Still have the AT-LP120 and I’m about to purchase a Sonos Play:5 that the turntable will plug into. Once that happens, the Technics S.A.-5170 receiver will become irrelevant in my setup.
Nice, I don't have a turntable anymore (have to tell ya the story sometime in vherf.......it's heartbreaking) anyway, I like to look at people's collections, I have over 3k physical cd's though, not including what's on my HD.......I'm a music addict (mostly heavy metal & punk, but I can listen to all types)

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Nice bump, @irratebass!

Here’s how I’m sitting as of right now.

Still have the AT-LP120 and I’m about to purchase a Sonos Play:5 that the turntable will plug into. Once that happens, the Technics S.A.-5170 receiver will become irrelevant in my setup.
If your receiver is gonna be retired, how much would you sell it for? (Asking for a friend.)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
If your receiver is gonna be retired, how much would you sell it for? (Asking for a friend.)
I bought it on eBay for $65 + shipping and I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never even used it. I turned it on once to make sure it worked and it did but it's been sitting on the record shelf ever since. It's from 1977 and in incredible condition so I'd sell it for $50 + shipping.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I bought it on eBay for $65 + shipping and I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never even used it. I turned it on once to make sure it worked and it did but it's been sitting on the record shelf ever since. It's from 1977 and in incredible condition so I'd sell it for $50 + shipping.
Never used it? You have another receiver? I'm confused...

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Never used it? You have another receiver? I'm confused...
Hahaha - great question that I should have clarified earlier. I have not used it because I do not have any vintage speakers to hook up to it. The plan was to go that route but I have since decided to play a Sonos Play:5 and hook my turntable to it. Now, I have the record playing anywhere in my house with the other Sonos speakers set up as well. Much more versatile this way for me.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Hahaha - great question that I should have clarified earlier. I have not used it because I do not have any vintage speakers to hook up to it. The plan was to go that route but I have since decided to play a Sonos Play:5 and hook my turntable to it. Now, I have the record playing anywhere in my house with the other Sonos speakers set up as well. Much more versatile this way for me.
Oh f88k... "Vintage Speakers"?!?! Did you just say "Vintage Speakers"???

Now I feel old.

:D