What's new

Show Your Newly Acquired Estate Pipes

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some advice on the CA glue. Make sure you apply it after the stem has been cleaned off but not to the point where you have already applied any buffing or compounds. Otherwise the glue will not stay put and may even fall out. It is almost always going to dry a different shade of black so use it sparingly when you can. Most shallow bite marks can be sanded away. Obviously holes are different. I use a piece of flattened cardboard that I shape to fit into the airway and keep the end open as well. I use some petroleum jelly to keep it from sticking to the CA glue. Use it sparingly because too much gets into your work area and the CA glue will not adhere to the stem material. Be careful in the button area. It can be a pain if it spreads and blends into the line separating the button. You will want some files and the nail files at beauty stores work amazingly well. Especially on buttons. When applying to the button area I use a toothpick and apply it carefully. There is trial and error involved until you figure it out. Personally I hate using CA glue and I hate filling holes. I avoid pipes with holes in the stems because of this. It can be done but it can be frustrating.

I just worked on a pipe stem the other day. Had the deep bite area filled. Sanded it out smooth. Was looking so good and then the entire CA area just falls out of the indentation. I just tried to buff the area out instead. Be sure to check out some of the restoration blogs for more tips and tricks. On the opposite end the clear CA glue works very well on acrylic stems. Never had any issues with that. I would change all of my stems to acrylic if I could.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Some advice on the CA glue. Make sure you apply it after the stem has been cleaned off but not to the point where you have already applied any buffing or compounds. Otherwise the glue will not stay put and may even fall out. It is almost always going to dry a different shade of black so use it sparingly when you can. Most shallow bite marks can be sanded away. Obviously holes are different. I use a piece of flattened cardboard that I shape to fit into the airway and keep the end open as well. I use some petroleum jelly to keep it from sticking to the CA glue. Use it sparingly because too much gets into your work area and the CA glue will not adhere to the stem material. Be careful in the button area. It can be a pain if it spreads and blends into the line separating the button. You will want some files and the nail files at beauty stores work amazingly well. Especially on buttons. When applying to the button area I use a toothpick and apply it carefully. There is trial and error involved until you figure it out. Personally I hate using CA glue and I hate filling holes. I avoid pipes with holes in the stems because of this. It can be done but it can be frustrating.

I just worked on a pipe stem the other day. Had the deep bite area filled. Sanded it out smooth. Was looking so good and then the entire CA area just falls out of the indentation. I just tried to buff the area out instead. Be sure to check out some of the restoration blogs for more tips and tricks. On the opposite end the clear CA glue works very well on acrylic stems. Never had any issues with that. I would change all of my stems to acrylic if I could.
Thank you for the tips, they are welcomed and very appreciated.

Jody

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Here is an interesting one. The bowl was pretty caked and the top didn't look good at all, but I've never run across a Savinelli with a Cumberland stem, so I took a chance. It's a Goliath 803EX and I'm assuming it's from the 80s or 90s since Goliath is a discontinued line (replaced by the Hercules line). Anyway, just got it back from @jsnake today, he did an amazing job cleaning it up!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Here is an interesting one. The bowl was pretty caked and the top didn't look good at all, but I've never run across a Savinelli with a Cumberland stem, so I took a chance. It's a Goliath 803EX and I'm assuming it's from the 80s or 90s since Goliath is a discontinued line (replaced by the Hercules line). Anyway, just got it back from @jsnake today, he did an amazing job cleaning it up!

That’s a beautiful pipe Andy!!

Jody

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Been busy for a few months adding to my GBD collection

I'll be selling this one in case anyone is interested. Not really my style.

I'd buy that tall skinny just to look at! Can tell by seeing it I wouldn't enjoy smoking it, but it's an eye catcher!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk