What's new

Smokers

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You might try doing half or even whole chickens too. They are more forgiving and everyone lives them because you get a piece of everything. If you haven't done a beer can chicken yet you're missing out lol.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
@teamrandr I had asked my wife what she wanted and she requested chicken breasts so that's what we did this time. My first thought was to cook two whole chickens! A whole chicken is definitely on the list though. As is a ton of other things! :) That's a problem too though. I really want to do a whole chicken, ribs, brisket, pork loin, pork butt. So many options and only so many weekends to do it! I'll be knocking them out tho. And posting up my results, both good and bad lol.

I hope this awesome weather holds out here. We were sitting outside until 10 o'clock last night! It was still 65-degrees at 8 or so. I'm sitting out back right now and my phone tells me it's 57. Seems even warmer than that.

thank goodness for global warming!! HAHAAH

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you ever smoke a whole bird I highly recommend cutting out the spine so you can open the bird up in the smoker. It's actually really easy to do though the store can always do it for you. Cuts down on cooking time and I think the meat picks up a deeper and more even smoke.
Brining is also a must do IMO. Day and night difference once I started doing this. Alton Brown's honey brine recipe is really good and easy to tweak to your liking. Next time I do it I'm thinking of adding in some hot peppers for some kick.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/honey-brined-smoked-turkey-recipe2.html

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks to this thread...and my gf looking over my shoulder, I got this for Xmas!

Done seasoning it and ready to test it out.
CACHING brother! Sounds like your gf is a keeper.

Smoked chicken.. It's what's for dinner!

(Just picked up a new smoker this morning :) )
Colonel Sanders ain't got nothing on you!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Great looking birds! What smoker did you end up with? What wood did you use to smoke with?
I've always used firebox smokers in the past.. And always smoked over wood and lump charcoal exclusively... But let my wife talk me into going the electric route this time...we'll see what I think after 3 or 4 more cooks (so far seems ok)...

Went with a basic masterbuilt 30" vertical electric...

Smoked the birds over apple chips...

Turned out ok...

Not nearly as much smoke generation as I am used to.. But the ability to "set and forget" sure is nice...

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
So I smoked the pork shoulder for 8 hours over the weekend and then the weather took a turn for the worst. It being an electric smoker I decided to throw the thing in a dutch oven and braise it the rest of the way and put the smoker in the garage. It still turned out quite good and I'm happy with with it but bummed I couldn't finish the process in the smoker.

A question for the smoking masters, this unit only goes up to 275, is that enough to do half or quarter chicken portions? I've read conflicting things regarding whole birds at that temperature.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
@Cricken From what I've read, chicken gets no benefit from "low and slow." That's why they recommend a higher temperature for chicken. I did my first chicken breasts at 225 and it was fine - it just took longer than. It needed too. I smoked more chicken breasts this past weekend at about 300 and they were done in about 1.5 hours.

I know it's now full chickens. But, my opinion is you'll be fine at 275, it may just take a little longer than it would if you smoked at a higher temperature.

I'll be interested to hear what the smoker vets have to say as well!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I smoked the pork shoulder for 8 hours over the weekend and then the weather took a turn for the worst. It being an electric smoker I decided to throw the thing in a dutch oven and braise it the rest of the way and put the smoker in the garage. It still turned out quite good and I'm happy with with it but bummed I couldn't finish the process in the smoker.

A question for the smoking masters, this unit only goes up to 275, is that enough to do half or quarter chicken portions? I've read conflicting things regarding whole birds at that temperature.
I smoke my half chickens at 275, you're good to go. If you're aiming for crispy skin 300 -350 is better but you won't be disappointed at 275. Especially if you're saucing them at the end which is what I do.

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Thanks for the info! As long as I don't end up poisoning the whole family we're golden :)

I'd imagine doing mainly half and quarter chickens but good to know a whole bird can be done

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Picked up a few bags of pellets for my Amazen pellet smoker that I use for cold and low temp smoking. Alder, pecan, apple, plum-apple and pitmasters choice (hickory, cherry, maple mix). Now to smoke some cheese!