What's new

Smokers

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ron still not done? How long has it been on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Started it about 7:15 this morning. So almost exactly 14 hours now. I had an hour or two of lower temperatures this morning, around 200 or so, while trying to adjust everything. But it's been humming along at about 240 most of the time. The meat is at 183 right now and the smoker is currently 241. It is a pretty darn big piece of meat. I don't know if this is way off the mark or just taking slightly longer than normal or right on track.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Started it about 7:15 this morning. So almost exactly 14 hours now. I had an hour or two of lower temperatures this morning, around 200 or so, while trying to adjust everything. But it's been humming along at about 240 most of the time. The meat is at 183 right now and the smoker is currently 241. It is a pretty darn big piece of meat. I don't know if this is way off the mark or just taking slightly longer than normal or right on track.
How much did it weigh?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Holy cow.... 15.5 hours to hit 190!!! I'm going to go take it out of the smoker now. I don't think I'm going to do the foil/towel/cooler method. I need to get to bed! LOL

But I'm going to eat some! Pictures to come!

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Holy cow.... 15.5 hours to hit 190!!! I'm going to go take it out of the smoker now. I don't think I'm going to do the foil/towel/cooler method. I need to get to bed! LOL

But I'm going to eat some! Pictures to come!
I've never rested pork butt like a brisket in towels and cooler. Not sure of it would really benefit from it if your gonna pull it anyway. Ours has always turns out great just giving it 10-15 and then pulling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
With all this being new to me, I read about resting it in the cooler and had it in my head that's just what you do. Glad it's not needed for this because that would've been too long for tonight.

So here's my results! Came out really great I think. And it sure tasted good to me anyway and that's the most important part :) My wife even liked it! I had a quick sandwich too lol it was so tender a couple chunks of meat came off while I was removing the foil.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Seems like it shouldn't have taken that long for a 9 lber. But I hope it pulled right apart and tasted like heaven.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I smoke around 20 butts a week, often times more. I never use a thermometer. When its done its done. Of course I have a good feel for it seeing it everyday. The butts go on at 6 pm and come off at 9 am. So 15 hours is not unusual. I always rest any meat for at least an hour. You did great Ron. Now do some ribs, chickens, turkeys, roasts, tenderloins..... You get the picture. Great thread!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Looks good. How did the bear claws work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought they worked great. It pulled that 9 pound shoulder apart in no time and kept my hands mostly clean and certainly not burnt when handling all that hot meat!

Seems like it shouldn't have taken that long for a 9 lber. But I hope it pulled right apart and tasted like heaven.

I smoke around 20 butts a week, often times more. I never use a thermometer. When its done its done. Of course I have a good feel for it seeing it everyday. The butts go on at 6 pm and come off at 9 am. So 15 hours is not unusual. I always rest any meat for at least an hour. You did great Ron. Now do some ribs, chickens, turkeys, roasts, tenderloins..... You get the picture. Great thread!
I don't know why this one took the time it did if it's more normal for them to cook shorter. Maybe it was a little thicker or something.

That being said, it was flippin' awesome! Best damn pulled pork sandwich I ever had! And the chicken wings earlier in the evening, same thing! I am definitely hooked and will definitely be smoking many more meats. The chicken wings especially had a noticeably unique flavor to me that I can only attribute to the smoke. I can't wait to try it out on a whole chicken and chicken breasts and anything else I can stick in there lol.

Thinking about it now, I think the wings took longer than normal too, from the brief amount I read anyway. I had the wings in the smoker, at around 240 +/- for around 2 hours and when I pulled them off to finish in the oven, they were only at 120 degrees. The flame from the burner looked like it may have been a little too yellow, but I think that would just end up using more fuel or soot not an increase in time.

Oh well, I'm not really worried about the time. I had a blast smoking my first meats and hope to do many more over many years sharing with many friends.

Thanks to following along with my adventure everyone. Next time I'll join in the the Today's Smoke (meat edition) LOL

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't know what you used for temp checking on smoker but the Redi Chek works well and checks smoker and meat with different sensors and has a separate remote so you can see it from anywhere around your home, wireless thing. Don't trust a smokers temp guage

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Don't know what you used for temp checking on smoker but the Redi Chek works well and checks smoker and meat with different sensors and has a separate remote so you can see it from anywhere around your home, wireless thing. Don't trust a smokers temp guage
My crazy Secret Santa had me covered!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Those bear paws are awesome. Once I get out of an apartment I'm gonna have to get some.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looked great @CaptainRon . I look at this sort of thing like a hobby. The "enjoy doing it" factor is major. I haven't smoked in a while. Need to do some work on my smoker. I have done a couple of turkeys. Oh my! Congratulations on a new hobby/slope.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Looked great @CaptainRon . I look at this sort of thing like a hobby. The "enjoy doing it" factor is major. I haven't smoked in a while. Need to do some work on my smoker. I have done a couple of turkeys. Oh my! Congratulations on a new hobby/slope.
Thanks brother. It really was a lot of fun for me. I love creating things. Food, beer, cigars. We're having another couple and their kid over next weekend - I'm planning on smoking a couple chicken for the day! So now I'll be researching a good rub to use on chicken and making sure I have enough time to get them done.

Would love to see other people post their "actions" shots here and their smoking setups too.