What's new

Smoking a turkey

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
So I have smoked 60 or so turkey's/ turkey breasts my question is has anyone tried stuffing one yet? Wondered how smoked stuffing would be? Let me know if you tried it.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I have always heard not to put stuffing in when you're smoking them because you're cooking at a lower temperature, thus it will take longer to cook and you'll dry the turkey out. But smoked stuffing sounds good. I guess just brine it really well. Sounds really good.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
I have always heard not to put stuffing in when you're smoking them because you're cooking at a lower temperature, thus it will take longer to cook and you'll dry the turkey out. But smoked stuffing sounds good. I guess just brine it really well. Sounds really good.
I both brine and inject so not worried about drying it out

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive done this once before.. no problem with the stuffing or the bird at all.... just injected the hell out of it on the front end... brined it (as has already been suggessted)... and made sure I gave it a good spritzing with a coca-cola based mopping sauce about once an hour.. turned out absolutely excellent..

As much as I love my smoker.. Ive normally done baked turkey for thanksgiving... (that.. or I make sure I go to someone elses house for turkey day... thanksgiving dinner is a lot of work! :) ).....

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I take it your smoking the bird stuffed, JJ and not just smoking the turkey and the stuffing seperate? Never thought of it, I'm sure as long as you baste it every now and then it'll turn out fine, your already a step ahead by both brining and injecting. I'm also sure that you can just smoke the bird then smoke the stuffing seperate. Not sure how much the actual smoke flavoring can penetrate the stuffing thru the bird.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
On a side note, I'll be smoking a turkey this weekend to see how it turns out in anticipation for Thanksgiving. We usually cook two, one baked one fried.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Not really answering the question, but once I smoked a brined turkey and stuffed the bird with onions and oranges, rather than injecting it. Juiciest bird to date.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not really answering the question, but once I smoked a brined turkey and stuffed the bird with onions and oranges, rather than injecting it. Juiciest bird to date.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Sean, that has been my method as well. I'll have to dig up my brine recipe and post it. Its been the juiciest bird I've ever had.

-Chrisso

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've smoking turkey's for several years now and would have to think that the inner most parts of the stuffin may not get hot enough to cook. It might remain all mushy in there. I would def think that the exposed part of the stuffing would really take the smoke well and get cooked too.

On a different note, I always brine for 24 hours and have nEVER ha any issue with a dry bird. In fact they're always more juicy than an oven bag roaste turkey