What's new

Smoking a Verite as I type...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I forgot to add in my post, and it's been said before, but the bands are hideous. I can't believe Pete made the decision to put these on his most expensive cigars. They are unoriginal and have a generic/"knock-off" feel to them. (And I know you don't smoke the bands, but at least do something more artistic than that).

The Lost City Opus band, on the other hand, is practically a work of art.

I didn't know i was in a contest with anyone for the the blue ribbons of bands....I can always put a paper bag on my $50 cigar....Actually maybe I should put a beautiful artistic band on my Ambos Mundos and charge $10 more a stick......
Yes the band is an old Cuban band(yes a knock off) and I thought it was perfect for the project. It's classic and old school and that is what i was going for.....Truthfully, I find the band to be simplistic and beautiful. You might like Picasso but i think it's a big old mess.. The art on the box is to be focused on, not the band but first the cigar has to speak.....which I think it does....

Just my .02

Pete

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Irregardless if you like the stick or not you have to give Toraño props for going out and doing something not done before (or rarely done). It's nice to see a cigar manufacturer not play it safe and should be done more often, imo.

:razz:

I'm confused here, isn't that the exact same thing Shane just said about Pete's cigar! :dunno:

"Irregardless if you like the stick or not you have to give Pete props for going out and doing something not done before (or rarely done). It's nice to see a cigar manufacturer not play it safe and should be done more often, imo."

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I didn't know i was in a contest with anyone for the the blue ribbons of bands....I can always put a paper bag on my $50 cigar....Actually maybe I should put a beautiful artistic band on my Ambos Mundos and charge $10 more a stick......
Yes the band is an old Cuban band(yes a knock off) and I thought it was perfect for the project. It's classic and old school and that is what i was going for.....Truthfully, I find the band to be simplistic and beautiful. You might like Picasso but i think it's a big old mess.. The art on the box is to be focused on, not the band but first the cigar has to speak.....which I think it does....

Just my .02

Pete
I disagree on the band, but luckily for you I have no input into that decision. LOL

As for the cigars, La Verite hasn't spoken to me yet. But L'Esprit has said some nice things in my ear so far.

Just my .02

Mike

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Toraño has also enlisted the skills of the critically acclaimed Fabrica de Tabacos Raices Cubanas S. de R.L. in Honduras to create the Single Region brand.
“Much like a wine company will focus on one vineyard to represent the terroir, we created a blend around one region
[Jalapa, Nicaragua] and one farm.”

I guess Pete can add trendseter to his portfolio in the cigar business. I figured that another manufacturer would do something similar but not this fast.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Toraño has also enlisted the skills of the critically acclaimed Fabrica de Tabacos Raices Cubanas S. de R.L. in Honduras to create the Single Region brand.
“Much like a wine company will focus on one vineyard to represent the terroir, we created a blend around one region
[Jalapa, Nicaragua] and one farm.”

Copycat move for sure - but at least it's being made in a good factory! :transform

klipsch

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was given one of the L'Esprit to try last night from a friend at a local shop. I hadn't planned on chasing these down, because my MO if I like a cigar is to acquire as many as possible at the expense of my other bills...and these were pricier than I could justify.

Let me say this...the flavor was outstanding. Unlike any other cigar I've smoked. The problem though...horrific wrapper issues! The cap cracked when I punched it. I thought..."OK...that's my fault...maybe I should have just clipped it"? I was enjoying the cigar for about the first half inch when the wrapper at the ash started to show some splitting. I didn't give it any thought...it happens. I clipped the cap to get a better draw after the first inch of the cigar, which is something I do with all the cigars I punch, if I decide the draw gets tighter than I like. No problems there and I continue with the cigar. I was sitting in the lounge by myself...and I heard a CRACK. I looked at the cigar and it had cracked down the side from the cap almost to the band. I held the wrapper together the best I could and continued to smoke. I hear another CRACK...this time from the ash nearly to the band...about an inch or so. I'm still enjoying the flavor...even though this is a little more work than I like to do to enjoy a smoke.
My buddy that gave me the cigar walks into the lounge and asks me how I like it? "It's good...but it's a good thing the band is on this or I'd be holding the entire wrapper together" I said. He told me that the same thing had happened with both cigars a mutual friend had picked up as well (robusto and lonsdale)...and walked back out to help customers. I'm thinking to myself that I'd like to try another of these, but if there's gonna be wrapper issues like this, I'm not gonna spend that kind of money for a cigar I can't enjoy.
I took off the band and I'm down to a little more than an inch and a half of cigar left. My buddy walks back in and sits for a bit. "CRACK" I tell him..."this just cracked again" and he tells me he heard it crack, two seats away from me...maybe 7 feet away or so. Now the cigar is split ash to cap with about an inch and a half left to smoke. I'm doing the best I can to hold what's left together because the flavor "had been" good and it was a pricey stick to just chuck with that much left to it. But after a few more minutes I told my buddy "I'm sorry dude, but this is just getting to be too much work to smoke" and I dropped what a little more than an inch of remaining stick in the ashtray.
Really...I would have liked to pick up another of these to enjoy, but being told that somebody else had similar wrapper issues, I wasn't confident enough to do it. He showed me the lonsdales in the box in the display humi, and many showed cracks at the foot already. We looked at each other and shook our heads.

Now really...I'm not saying that the construction of these is lousy or anything, but I've NEVER had a cigar do that before. Add that to somebody else having similar issues with 2 cigars from different boxes and what I saw from the remaining stick in the humi, and...

Just my experience

Walt

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Walt sorry to hear about the wrapper. The cigars could be a little dry from travel. I've found cigars with hairline cracks in the middle of the cigar. These I could tell were damaged during packing. DM me the store where you bought it. Thanks, Pete.

klipsch

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Walt sorry to hear about the wrapper. The cigars could be a little dry from travel. I've found cigars with hairline cracks in the middle of the cigar. These I could tell were damaged during packing. DM me the store where you bought it. Thanks, Pete.
Thanks for looking into this Pete...:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Smoking my first LV right now, not the E'sprite, and loving every second of it... have had not issues with cracks per previous posts, but my friend had one that I could hear audibly crack as he sat next to me smoking it yesterday (which was one of about 15 I have seen smoked since its drop date).

Overall... I quite like the concept and taste of both cigars, the E'sprite has a subtle sweet, almost maple taste, that is truly unique and unlike anything I have ever smoked. The LV is more bold, which I tend to like in my cigars and while I reserve judgment until I finish smoking it (about the half way point now) I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Bring on next year bro... which, I'm sure after our little trip, you know I'm excited to smoke and buy.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Im about an inch into the L'esprit De Verite and so far i am really enjoying it! I like the light, crisp flavors this offers. Ive been liking Petes approach to lighter cigars recently (like the new Triunfador blend). Mild/medium bodied but with plenty of complex flavors.