What's new

Smoking In Sub-Freezing Temps

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I lived in places that were very cold, after I shut down my business I thought it would be fun to drive over the road. The money was crappy, but it gave me something to do for a couple of years. Honeslty driving in some of the coldest places in the USA, getting out to chain up, unchain, and just retrying to stay warm sucked.

IMHO the only place to enjoy a Cigar is inside some place warn, and cozy even if it the cab of an 18 wheeler. Being outside in below zero weather is it hard enough to to breather. Trying to enjoy a good cigar at below zero is a fight I just as soon not fight.

I am sitting outside today in a t-shirt, flip flops, and it is 55, sunny, no breeze, nice Cigar smoking weather. It should warm up to 70 today.

You can keep snow & ice.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't see how those numbers are even possible... F That!
Back in the late 70s I was skiing in the UP of Michigan and the warmest it got the whole time was -26 and dropped down to -38 at night. It froze a bottle of wine that was too close to the sliding glass door one night. Everyone pointed out the frost bite to others while waiting at the lifts.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
One night in Chicago I remember it being -80° with the wind chill factor. I went out doing some graffiti fun times since there was literally NO ONE outside. Except the cops lol. Also aerosol cans don't work properly when it's that cold. And paint runs.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I was referring to the extreme cold up north. Does 20 degrees with no humidity feel as cold as 40 degrees with 89%. I know they say 100 degrees in Arizona isn't as hot as 90 degree in SE Louisiana
Thats false. 100 degrees is hot regardless. The difference between 100 degrees dry heat and 90 degrees with humidity is like comparing an oven to a hot tub. AZ can be breath taking hot with no sweat and 90 degrees with humidity is sweaty hot.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I like to give cold climate guys a hard time, but looking at the temps lately... anyone having a cigar outside the last few days back east/up north is a tough hombre. Definitely think I'd be in a shed/workshop or something. Cheers to you all/stay warm.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Recently visited the bitter Midwest for Christmas...no way ever again would I live somewhere that gets that cold again. Single digit temperatures mixed with windchills in the subzero (-19 one night), it cuts right through your hat, jacket, coat, thermals, and into your soul. Hell no. You couldn’t give me a job making six figures, a house, and a company car to endure that misery ever again.

Hell, there’s days in San Diego it’s colder than I prefer.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It has been colder in Tennessee today, than in parts of Alaska and CO..... That is utter BS! Glad this isn't normal or I might have to move down a few latitude lines.... :/

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As I mentioned in the "Your home smoking area" thread, my home smoking area is the great outdoors. In past years, that meant taking a winter break from cigars but this year, I've tried braving the elements and with some success.

Besides the propane heater...and depending on temps...I'll often sit on a heating pad to keep the keister from cracking and I might put a throw over my legs to retain heat. I've also got a pair of insulated Carhartt bib overalls and snow boots, when needed. Oh, and a Mad Bomber hat. So far, I've smoked down to 8°F in relative comfort...except for the toes. After about an hour, cold soak is a problem so I've lately been experimenting with disposable warmers. If this remains a thing, I may invest in a pair of electric insoles.

Lately, though, cold weather hasn't always been a concern. We're way behind on snowfall and we've had some warm spells. It got up near 50°F yesterday, fercryinoutloud. Still plenty of winter left though...

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The reason you are so warm is we have all of your cold weather. It is -4 and heading for -19 and the high for tomorrow is -3 and back down to -19 at night. All I can say is there better be lots of ice on the lake I want to fish when it finally warms up.