What's new

So Cal is on fire!!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yeah the winds are dead here this morning, but that also means the smoke is no longer being blown off shore. So the sun is bright red and the rest of the sky is black with smoke. My friends house seems safe for the moment, but they are still not out of the woods. II have a garage full of their stuff, and they are trying to get back up to the house today to get more. He said they can see the home, but they won't let him back up yet. His home backs up to a brush covered hillside that is only one small canyon from the fire. If this wind stays stil for a couple of days, we could really gain some ground and get out of this.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
sitting here in ramona, waiting for relief!! a very long day!! the city is still completely evacuated,,, just restored power, but still no water. several large fronts still very active, but not on our beat. today, it was all about high visibility!! back tomorrow for another round! sheesh, i am just a bit twisted... but it'll be one heck of a paycheck!! probably doing this thru sunday!

latest update - 1600 homes destroyed, 100 commercial buildings, 100 other buildings. already exceed $1billion in loss, $millions in cost. un-freaking-believable!!

jeff

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Friends at Lake Arrowhead just lost their 3500 sq ft home. Gone. Unbelieveable.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I drove out to the fire line last night on the 241 tole road. It was a creepy scene will burned hillsides on both sides of me. The smoke was so thick it blakened the sky. I caught a glimpse, through the hills, of a plane making a water drop. We jjust gat a plane in from Canada that can drop a 1000 foot long 200 foot wide 7000 gallon swath of water with each drop. They say it can filll up in 25 seconds. I believe it is called the Martin Mars or Mars Martin. Unfortunately it got here at 5:30 last night, but since it's from Canada had to go through customs last night before it could start working.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
not much today,,, breakfast burriots, helicopter crash, looting patrol, KFC,,,

my platoon is working out of the community of ramona. they were the first to be evacuated, on sunday night. they (CalFire, who overrode the Sheriff twice!!) just opened the roads so these folk can go back home. the issue was the water pumps weren't working, therefore, no water (though 3/4 of the residents have their own wells). verrrrry long story short, there are 300 national guardsman slinging M16s roaming about in their armor-plated humvees (they look freaking cool with the guy hanging out the top)!! there are some really pissed off people, bout 35,000 to be exact! our lieutenant told us, "put on a really tough skin tomorrow. these folk are gonna be pissed!" no kidding!!

i'll be up there at least 2 more days. then, i'll clean my pool! ha!!

jeff

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Glad to see the weather has turned and you guys are getting a handle on the fires. I imagine things will be pretty messed up for lots of folks for quite awhile. Hopefully FEMA will have their act together this time.

Stay safe!

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
a dozen or so on-stop-shop centers across the county already open! they're here in force!! and doing a fine job with the resources!!!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
a dozen or so on-stop-shop centers across the county already open! they're here in force!! and doing a fine job with the resources!!!
I just caught up on this thread Jeff. It's good to hear you are doing ok and great to hear how the "system" can actually work when the right leadership is involved.

Stay safe big guy.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Be well to all the SoCal brothers and families. My brother and his wife live just North of Pendleton and her family just South of Pendleton in San Clemente (Orange Co?). So far they are safe. They saw the orange glow in various directions and some flames at the top of the ridges maybe 4 miles away.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
One of my consultants lives in Lake Arrowhead and she says the houses on both sides of her property burned to the ground and at last fly over hers was still in tact.

My brother-in-law's office is in Orange County and they live in Corona and he says the air quality is terrible.

Prayers go out to all in that area and to those who are working to make the best of this horribe situation. It really makes you re-examine your priorities.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
woohoo! the residents of ramona are home! and, 9 out of 10 are very very grateful!! high visibility was the order of the day! that and 3 hours of traffic control (it was only 98 degrees)!

my squad will go up tomorrow, and that'll be it!! i'll have sunday off, and my sergeant is giving me monday off (Yeehaw!!). when it is all said and done, i'll have 33 hours of OT on my next check, and i'll have 25 hours on the one after that! just in time for vegas!!! now, i have to get rid of this cough,,, haven't had a cigar in a week! bahhhhh!!

thank you for all your support!!!

jeff

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Here is an interesting twist on this...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21487060/
CA has one of the bigest inmate fire fighting programs around, If I remember right, CAL FIRE has the 4 to 5 Camp per Ranger Unit, each crew has 16 people on it. they do good work, and it is a way for them to get back in to the world again and pay for there own crimes. While I was in CA in the early 80's I was a supervisor for one of these crews, we rolled on lots of fire with thes crews......(that job does come with some problems).....but for most parts they r there to work and earn a way back to the system.........

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i'm bummed. i'm burnt (no pun intended). 15.5 hours today, just got home,,, back at 0500 tomorrow, and probably monday too... looks like there'll be no football for me!

i did smoke a RP 1992 churchill (thanks tedski!), and it was great!! i still have the freaking cough, and i will till i can get to the dr. so, i figure, WTF!! standing there directing traffic with a big ole stogie hanging out my mouth!! ha!!!